RUN! HIDE! FIGHT! DHS Offers Tips To Survive An Active Shooting

geminibear
This topic is 3119 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, when I was in the military 30 years ago we went through regular training on how to respond during this sort of thing.

It's worth putting things like this out for people who HAVEN'T had the training and might be lacking just a little bit in the common sense department. (i.e. most of the population)

Unfortunately, some police departments are unaware of the "run" part of the advice.

A few years ago, I was teaching class when the university sent out a mass text: A "man with a gun" was seen at a campus building half a mile away. The classroom doors in this building could not be locked from the outside, but the classroom was only a few feet from an exit.

I turned off all the lights and had the students huddle at the back of the classroom, since the front was visible from outside the door. I then called the police, who told me to keep the students in the classroom. I challenged the officer, but he just reiterated the command. Thinking they knew something I didn't, I complied. We sat in the dark for almost two hours. Students in the hallway had been told to shelter in classrooms, so every now and then, someone would wander in and turn on the lights. :eek: The University was locked down for almost 2 hours.

Fortunately, it was a false alarm. The "gunman" was a garden-variety thief, and it was unclear whether he was armed. If it had been an active shooter event, we would have been sitting ducks. If, God forbid, there's a next time, I'll just gather the students and get out. With the gunman last seen half a mile away and the exit so close, I'd rather take my chances outside.

Concealed Weapons Permit- I don't leave home without it and the weapon it allows me to carry.

Hmmm Man with a gun is called and a whole bunch bunch of police officers with nervous energy come charging in. Sound like I would like to be the one carrying my weapon because the police would never mistake me for the gunman.

Sadly bumping this thread. Do yo know what to do if your involved in an active shooter incident?

Yes! Begin a public revolution of civil disobedience not to vote any politician into office who does not support reasonable gun control legislation.

Yes! Begin a public revolution of civil disobedience not to vote any politician into office who does not support reasonable gun control legislation.

Define reasonable. Because for some, reasonable would be the only ones who have guns would be the gov and I sure as hell am NOT OK with that shit.

Hugs,

Greg

Define reasonable. Because for some, reasonable would be the only ones who have guns would be the gov and I sure as hell am NOT OK with that shit.

Hugs,

Greg

I would oppose the government being the only one with guns too because of the possibility that sole government access would be used as a tool of oppression. But guns are almost useless as defense against criminals as opposed to, say, police brutality or government overreach.

Hey, it's the Black Panthers all over again!

I believe Australia banned magazines and/or multiple rounds.

I believe Australia banned magazines and/or multiple rounds.

That's about it, although handgun magazines are permitted. Ownership of any gun requires a licence, which can only be obtained for a 'genuine reason', and that cannot include self-defence. Membership of a shooting club can be used as a reason. Even when you have a licence and a gun you can only carry it when you have a valid to need to use it, otherwise it must be locked away. So a farmer can carry a gun on his farm in case he needs to shoot vermin, hunters can carry weapons when they are going hunting. It's never legal to carry a weapon when you're going about your normal daily business, and there's no such thing as open carry here.

No-one here feels less safe for the lack of guns in the community. (Well almost no-one, an Australian senator who is a libertarian and very much an outlier in our politics, has been speaking to NRA and like-minded groups in the US telling them that Australians are not free because of our gun laws. He could hold a meeting of everyone here who agrees with him in a phone box.) Part of this is because we've never been an armed society, and the weapons bought back after Port Arthur were not widely owned in the community. Another part of the feeling of safety is that we don't expect (or fear) that someone we meet in the street will be armed. Likewise, the police don't have to assume that anyone they meet will be packing, so that means Australian police can behave differently. Changing US gun law would not change people's attitudes at least not immediately. It would take a while for people to be confident that they were not surrounded by guns.

Maybe I’m fussy, but I’ve just never found myself the perfect piece.

It would have to be stylish enough to go with my suede attaché, yet powerful enough to protect me from the government.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/characters/flashing-police-badge-smiley-emoticon.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/characters/flashing-police-badge-smiley-emoticon.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/characters/flashing-police-badge-smiley-emoticon.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/characters/flashing-police-badge-smiley-emoticon.gif http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/characters/flashing-police-badge-smiley-emoticon.gif

Perhaps I could tell them I just stuck the bullet up my ass and escape while they’re arguing over who's going in for me. http://www.boytoy.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2008/03/20/va1237510532738/5946194.jpg

That's not even civil disobedience. More to the point, actively work to get those who support reasonable gun control into office and to defeat those who don't. This suggestion keeps the blood off one's hands, maybe, but it does nothing to help prevent more shootings.

Sadly bumping this thread. Do yo know what to do if your involved in an active shooter incident?

Run and hide! Notify the authorities if possible without drawing attention to oneself.

The demographics of active shooter incidents is interesting. There are very few if any in the Northeast/MidAtlantic. It's not that there's no gun culture here, but what gun culture there is revolves around hunting. There is no open carry, more gun control, and more support for gun control.

I lived with a gun owner for 33 years. He quit the NRA ages ago. He owns long guns for hunting and guns for primarily as memorabilia. (At least one belonged to his dad and is a WWII relic.) He supports reasonable gun control. And he's never viewed a gun as a necessity for self-defense, in part because he realizes taking the precaution of keeping a gun under lock and key and storing ammunition separately makes the gun less useful in emergencies.

What were the tools and arguments used to deal with drunken driving? I recall when I received my driver's license that there was allot of discussion on this and the imposition of huge penalties (relative to what had been) on both drivers who chose to drive drunk AND those who served them went a long way to help with this problem. In a different vein, attacks by proven-vicious dogs have been (somewhat) addressed by making it very expensive to own or rent a home if you make the choice to own one (many insurers will not write a homeowners policy, required by a mortgage carrier, if an animal deemed 'vicious' occupied a residence). Nothing was banned or confiscated but the price of being an irresponsible member of society strongly discouraged it.

It does no good to impose punishment after the harm has been done - proactive prevention is needed. In the same sense that I am put at risk when someone drinks too much and drives or houses a vicious animal near me, I am also put at risk when my neighbor owns a gun that could be (stolen and) used inappropriately.

I know variations of these ideas has been tried and may be legally tenuous but making gun manufacturers, retailers and purchasers financially responsible for the harmful use of their product is part of the answer. I believe the majority of guns used in incidents like this were purchased legally. Fine. But who will be held responsible?

I thought that surely Sandy Hook would change things. If the gore of the violent destruction of piles of 8-year old bodies by metal bullets and shrapnel couldn't convince everyone that fundamental changes were needed then could anything? I'm not optimistic.

Archived