A culinary question

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Coconut and palm oils, which are loaded with saturated fat, are pretty darned bad for you. Olive and avocado oils, which are low in saturated fat, are good for you

Incidentally, coconut oil is the BEST moisturizer/emollient you can get for your skin to take care of wrinkles, dryness, and overall conditioning!

It's cheap at the market, smells like Hawaii, softens and increases pliability.

For bottoms, use on anus twice a day for good stretching ability. DO NOT USE WITHIN 6 HOURS OF PLANNING TO BOTTOM - it is an oil so not all condoms are safe to use with this!!!!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another thing, sweetie--egg yolks are nothing but saturated fats...

Sorry, but you're wrong about that, too:

1. Egg
    Food
  2. Eggs are laid by female animals of many different species, including birds, reptiles, amphibians, and fish, and have been eaten by humans for thousands of years. Wikipedia
  3. Nutrition Facts
    Egg, boiled

Amount Per 1 large (50 g)

Calories 78
  4. % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 5 g 7%
    Saturated fat 1.6 g 8%
    Polyunsaturated fat 0.7 g
    Monounsaturated fat 2 g

Eggs do have a lot of cholesterol, but, perhaps non-intuitively, our levels of LDL (or "bad") cholesterol are worsened mainly by the saturated fat intake, not the cholesterol intake. It must feel wonderful to be able to come to any opinion you choose, while remaining completely oblivious to the facts. And to know in your heart that you're that you know more than the experts at the FDA, WHO, International College of Nutrition, DHHS, American Dietetic Association, American Heart Association, and Dieticians of Canada--well, that's priceless! Of course, they actual examine and discuss actual data and scientific studies, but why bother?

I prefer to recommend what the experts in the field recommend. If someone is at risk for cardiovascular disease and/or has high LDL-cholesterol, I advise limiting to two servings per week of foods that are high in saturated fats: fried food, coconut oil, palm oil, whole or 2% milk (as well as foods derived from them), and most cuts of beef, lamb, and pork. It's a pretty short list.

Coconut and palm oils, which are loaded with saturated fat, are pretty darned bad for you. Olive and avocado oils, which are low in saturated fat, are good for you:

1. Coconut oil
    Edible oil
  2. Coconut oil, or copra oil, is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. It has various applications as food or in cosmetics. Wikipedia
  3. Nutrition Facts
    Oil, coconut
    Amount Per 1 tbsp (13.6 g)

Many health organizations advise against the consumption of coconut oil due to its high levels of saturated fat, including the United StatesFood and Drug Administration,[2]World Health Organization,[3] International College of Nutrition,[4] the United States Department of Health and Human Services,[5]American Dietetic Association,[6]American Heart Association,[7] British National Health Service,[8] and Dietitians of Canada.[9]

I will state that I"ve been using a coconut butter "soap" [Tone] for 36 years, and to that I attribute my lovely youthful skin and countenance.

I'm also really lucky that none of you has meet me in the flesh!

Well, I have come to hate the taste of fried foods and butter as well. However, for some reason the only fried food that I indulge in is fried calamari... and especially the tentacles! Si! Calamari fritti! Il cibo degli dei! The food of the gods! There is no way that I'm giving that up!

Even then it is not exactly something that one has the opportunity to have on a regular basis. Perhaps it is because it is something that is usually offered only in better restaurants and also due to the fact that the calamari don't absorb much oil when fried. At any rate, when done properly there's not much that is better on this earth!

Incidentally we agree about canola oil!!!!

There is a local restaurant near me, Assagini di Roma, a little taste of Rome which makes an exquisite fried Calamari appetizer. On rare occasion, I order the appetizer as a meal, either lunch or dinner with a small side of spaghetti. Indulgent without being decadent.

There is a local restaurant near me, Assagini di Roma, a little taste of Rome which makes an exquisite fried Calamari appetizer. On rare occasion, I order the appetizer as a meal, either lunch or dinner with a small side of spaghetti. Indulgent without being decadent.

While I like fried foods, you ain't gettin' me to eat calamari. Seafood hater here except for tuna salad. And I sometimes have trouble with that.

Gman

While I like fried foods, you ain't gettin' me to eat calamari. Seafood hater here except for tuna salad. And I sometimes have trouble with that.

Gman

Oh you squid. Are you squiddish about seafood? After one test taste, you will be saying: Squideessentially delicious.

Yech!!

Gman

I am emphatically not a big seafood person. However there are exceptions to every rule. Now you take that same calamari and prepare it in a different way and to me it tastes like misplaced rubber bands. You fry it e sento che sono quasi in cielo! Opps, that's the language thread! At any rate, it make me feel as though I'm almost in heaven.

Plus, as I mentioned, the strangest looking potion of the species... the tentacles are the most delicate and delicious. Fortunately there is a local restaurant that makes the absolute best. I have plans to get there in the next few weeks. Incidentally, a few months back I was at a party there. The table at which I sat was occupied by either non seafood lovers or folks who were allergic to seafood. As part of the hot antipasto that was served family style was this big mound of fried calamari. Heck! Someone had to devour it! Plus, it was sitting right in front if me, and it's indeed a sin to waste food!

I also have a couple of restaurants in Florida that make a prime calamari. One is fortunately local to where I stay. The other is not. I'll be hopping on a plane to visit the second one in several weeks while I'm in the sunshine state. It won't be my prime reason for going, but I consider it icing on the proverbial cake and it has become a tradition of sorts for the past several years. So for that assaggio or assaggino it's definitely worth the trip!

Still, to each his own. Ironically, for too many years I was of the same mindset as Gman. It really depends on using a quality product. If old, tough, and oversized squid are used the dreadful result is a chewy substance that only Goodyear would appreciate and would better be used to manufacture tires. Unfortunately the first time I tied it such was the case. Consewuently, it most definitely was worth giving things a second try...

Incidentally, I used to like tuna ad a kid, but now can't stand it.... So things often indeed move in strange directions!

Several insights regarding Americans and Italian cuisine!

Americans always think of Fettuccine Alfredo as being quintessentially Italian. However, the dish never became overly popular in Italy.

Also. while most Americans enjoy a foaming hot cappuccino as an after dinner treat, most Italians think of it as being something that one has for breakfast perhaps with biscotti.

Americans also often pair a hot chicken dish with pasta. There is no real popular dish in Italy where chicken is mixed with or served with pasta. Possibly cold but never really hot.

Also, I think that most Italians would find it strange that many restaurants' in the USA serve meat dishes with a "side of pasta". In Italy such dishes come with "contorni" or usually sides of veggies. The pasta is a separate course served as the "Primo piatto" right after the antipasto and before the "Secondo" or main (usually meat, fish, or poultry) course. Of course the "dolce " or dessert is yet to come.

So why not make a meal of a meal! It's the Italian way!

That is a great set of observations. There is a logic to meal patterns in the various regions of Italy, of course France and (even :D ) Germany that is absent in These Untied States of America. (So the discussion follow-on of how the food processing industry after WWII had all that excess K ration production capacity so ginned up the ad campaigns that essentially destroyed American home cooking etc.)

Moderators, please move this as necessary.

I'm wondering how many of you have ever cooked with lard, as in frying chicken in it. Also, whether you've ever used it for pie crusts, etc.

I understand it makes an incredible substitute for Crisco, and I have no qualms about animal fat in my diet.

Input, please?

The only thing I use lard for is to make Yorkshire pudding to accompany the Christmas roast beef. It is out of this world!

I am emphatically not a big seafood person.

I grew up not eating seafood or fish. We never ate it at home and I couldn't stand the sight, smell or taste of it. Sometime ago, in the 80's, I think, I decided I was going to learn to like fish. It was a gradual process. A friend of mine, who really had a taste for fish, advised me to start with grilled tuna because it had a mild, meaty flavor that was easy to like. I tried it and kind of liked it. The more of it I ate, the better I liked it. From there, I branched out, mostly sticking with milder-flavored fish. Eventually I got so I was ready to challenge myself with "fishy" tasting fish. I never have developed much of a taste for the fishier-tasting types of fish, but I eat fish now several times a month and enjoy it. My sister still has the attitude that we were raised with - even looking at it makes her queasy.

I don't eat many fried foods, but calamari is one of my favorites, when it is done right. I have had a number of friends who won't eat fish or seafood, but I prefer them to meat anytime. My best friend thought fish was a disgusting food, yet he would eat snails in better sauce, which turns my stomach. Chacun a son gout!

I grew up not eating seafood or fish. We never ate it at home and I couldn't stand the sight, smell or taste of it. Sometime ago, in the 80's, I think, I decided I was going to learn to like fish. It was a gradual process. A friend of mine, who really had a taste for fish, advised me to start with grilled tuna because it had a mild, meaty flavor that was easy to like. I tried it and kind of liked it. The more of it I ate, the better I liked it. From there, I branched out, mostly sticking with milder-flavored fish. Eventually I got so I was ready to challenge myself with "fishy" tasting fish. I never have developed much of a taste for the fishier-tasting types of fish, but I eat fish now several times a month and enjoy it. My sister still has the attitude that we were raised with - even looking at it makes her queasy.

Your sister is one smart cookie!!

Gman

I never have developed much of a taste for the fishier-tasting types of fish, but I eat fish now several times a month and enjoy it.

Coincidentally, I watched Pati's Mexican Table last night in which she said fresh fish should never smell like fish. If there's an aroma of anything beyond sea water or salt, you've got a bad fish. http://s21534.storage.proboards.com/6261534/i/lypVBOpoBrtno6YYYV57.gif

For anyone who's interested, here's her recipe for Snapper in a Poblano Chile Sauce.

Coincidentally, I watched Pati's Mexican Table last night in which she said fresh fish should never smell like fish. If there's an aroma of anything beyond sea water or salt, you've got a bad fish. http://s21534.storage.proboards.com/6261534/i/lypVBOpoBrtno6YYYV57.gif

For anyone who's interested, here's her recipe for Snapper in a Poblano Chile Sauce.

Tell that to the people who pack anchovies, sardines and pickled herring. Or try eating a piece of fresh bluefish or mackeral and tell me it doesn't taste fishy.

Tell that to the people who pack anchovies, sardines and pickled herring. Or try eating a piece of fresh bluefish or mackeral and tell me it doesn't taste fishy.

As mentioned I am not a great lover of seafood, and certainly not bluefish as it is indeed one of the more fishy tasting fish out there. HOWEVER, here's the real deal. If it is cooked immediately upon being caught it does not yet taste fishy. The biochemical reason is due to the fact that bluefish emit high levels of triethylamine as it decomposes and that's what gives a dead fish that dead fish smell. That's one of the few things that I remember that proved to be practical in my life from two semesters of organic chemistry. So unless you catch the fish yourself and can cook it within a couple of hours you're going to be eating something that tastes like chum!!! The sooner the better! I would imagine that there is no hope for herring etc.!!!

A friend of mine, who really had a taste for fish, advised me to start with grilled tuna because it had a mild, meaty flavor that was easy to like. I tried it and kind of liked it. The more of it I ate, the better I liked it. From there, I branched out, mostly sticking with milder-flavored fish.

yes, add me to the don't-really-like-fish camp.....Rudy: I would've guessed you might have started with a less-fishy item than tuna....it really stinks like cat food to me, though a nice albacore tempered with mustard or mayo is not too bad....when I have to eat fish, I like cod (yeah, real adventurous!) or halibut because they, to me, are the most mild.....and sometimes I'll eat salmon just because they say it's good for you

So unless you catch the fish yourself and can cook it within a couple of hours you're going to be eating something that tastes like chum!!! The sooner the better!

I do believe this is the key, and the point that Pati herself was making. It's my understanding that those folks who eat fish as a staple know where and when to buy it. Not sure there are a whole lot of places in the U. S. where 'fresh off the boat' is the norm, but there are some.

Some years back, I visited my sister in Honolulu. We went down to where the fishing boats were coming in, and a fisherman friend of hers passed us a tuna that had been swimming around without a care in the world earlier that afternoon.

http://www.jrj-socrates.com/Cartoon%20Pics/Misc/Cartoon%20Ads/Charlie_Tuna_300.gif

A short bus ride later, she and I were enjoying the freshest sashimi I ever ate. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/hungry/lick-lips.gif

Montauk at the end of Long Island is one of the self-proclaimed fishing capitals of the world. It is the source for much of the tuna that's used for sushi in Japan. I have not been there in a while, but during my boating days there was a Japanese guy who sampled the tuna as it was brought in by the fishing boats. He would taste it raw, rate it, and determine its value. He would pay the fisherman based on its flavor, texture, etc., If it passed muster it was packed in ice on the spot shipped to Kennedy Airport and would be on a sushi bar in Tokyo the next day, or so I was told!!!

What Charlie had to go through to taste good!!!!

yes, add me to the don't-really-like-fish camp.....Rudy: I would've guessed you might have started with a less-fishy item than tuna....it really stinks like cat food to me, though a nice albacore tempered with mustard or mayo is not too bad....when I have to eat fish, I like cod (yeah, real adventurous!) or halibut because they, to me, are the most mild.....and sometimes I'll eat salmon just because they say it's good for you

Fresh grilled tuna resembles a rare steak.

Archived