A culinary question

gallahadesquire
This topic is 3191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As mentioned I am not a great lover of seafood, and certainly not bluefish as it is indeed one of the more fishy tasting fish out there. HOWEVER, here's the real deal. If it is cooked immediately upon being caught it does not yet taste fishy. The biochemical reason is due to the fact that bluefish emit high levels of triethylamine as it decomposes and that's what gives a dead fish that dead fish smell. That's one of the few things that I remember that proved to be practicle in my life from two semesters of organic chemistry. So unless you catch the fish yourself and can cook it within a couple of hours you're going to be eating something that tastes like chum!!! The sooner the better! I would imagine that there is no hope for herring etc.!!!

True that - I once had fresh salmon that had only been out of the water for a few hours. I couldn't believe it. Nothing like salmon even from a very good fish market.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As mentioned I am not a great lover of seafood, and certainly not bluefish as it is indeed one of the more fishy tasting fish out there. HOWEVER, here's the real deal. If it is cooked immediately upon being caught it does not yet taste fishy. The biochemical reason is due to the fact that bluefish emit high levels of triethylamine as it decomposes and that's what gives a dead fish that dead fish smell. That's one of the few things that I remember that proved to be practicle in my life from two semesters of organic chemistry. So unless you catch the fish yourself and can cook it within a couple of hours you're going to be eating something that tastes like chum!!! The sooner the better! I would imagine that there is no hope for herring etc.!!!

I learned one other useful thing in organic chemistry - how to make poppers.

Two different points here:

I am most definitely a morning person. When in Italy I greatly enjoy rising early and popping into a local cafe and sharing a cappuccino with the Italians on their way to work. I have never seen an Italian drinking a latte early in the morning; they have it mid-morning with a pastry of some sort.

I love shell fish but I’m not much of a fan of finned fish EXCEPT in Mexico. Red Snapper is, as far as I’m concerned, a rather dull fish but in Mexico cooks prepare “huachinango” in a mired of ways nearly all of which are to die for. Mexicans chefs are masters at preparing uninteresting fish in exciting and flavorful ways. In my eyes and taste buds Mexicans prepare fish better than any place in the world – they are masters. When in Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, or any other Mexican coastal city I thrive on fish.

Two different points here:

I am most definitely a morning person. When in Italy I greatly enjoy rising early and popping into a local cafe and sharing a cappuccino with the Italians on their way to work. I have never seen an Italian drinking a latte early in the morning; they have it mid-morning with a pastry of some sort.

It is cool, having cappuccino in a cafe in the morning as the locals are going to work. The customers say "thank you" to the cafe staff for the service, and the cafe staff says "thank you" for the patronage. It's an endless succession of people saying "Grazie, buongiorno" to each other.

Archived