Golden Age

Will
This topic is 7388 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>I thought about British Columbia, but when I investigated I

>discovered that there are all kinds of roadblocks put up by

>the Canadian govt. to make sure that Americans don't retire

>there just in order to use the free Canadian health system.

I will have lifetime health insurance through my employer, even after retirement-- would that change their minds? Although I have no idea how US insurance coverage would work in Canada since I don't know much about their health insurance system.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Right Coast Best Bets

In this case, I think you are going to have to give serious consideration to Florida, because the only other large gay communities that might also meet your needs would be in Atlanta or New Orleans. Both of those areas have far more culture than areas which might be appropriate climate wise, but I still believe that socially and politically, you might find them far more conservative than you prefer. On the other hand, South Florida remains somewhat progressive and has some of the cultural and academic requirements you would require, plus the infrastructure for retirees.

The following is from Advocate.com. May not have enough culture for you, but New Mexico sure seems to be retirement central.

A Premier Retirement Resort for GLBTs and Our Friends!

RainbowVision Santa Fe, the nation's first GLBT Retirement Resort

Community with Independent/Assisted Living services, is now accepting

reservations. Opening in Early 2005, this Land Of Enchantment resort

community features condos or rentals, dining, fitness and spa

facilities, outdoor hot tubs, concierge, security, artist and guest

studios, health care services and more.

With 75 units already reserved and only 71 left, don't miss your

opportunity to join us for blue skies, starry nights and magical

sunsets. Call 800-775-5550 x 306 to reserve your spot now or visit

http://www.rainbowvisionprop.com

and enter to win a free trip to Santa Fe while you're there!

>The following is from Advocate.com. May not have enough

>culture for you, but New Mexico sure seems to be retirement

>central.

I don't see anything about mescal or peyote. What type of dump is this place? And who can really live in a blue state in their sunset years - altho rumors here in the East keep pointing to more bimbo eruptions for Cash and Kerry (who says the Sierra Club is a special interest group).

Later.

PS. Well, I'm hooking up with your rave Corey in your hometown in a month. If he's half as good as you say, I'll buy you an adult beverage afterwards.

Dude, don’t go hijacking threads. While you’ve been traipsing around South America, the rest of us have been getting etiquette lessons. This is the newer, kinder, better behaved message center and we don’t have room for trouble makers.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in Corey. Although I’ve never had him in the particular way that you plan on working him, I can guarantee the kissing. Even better than the other working boy we have in common.

It's not how the Canadian health system works that should concern you but what the terms of your US health coverage are, which you should know. Does it cover "out of country" medical expenses and for what and how long? As a Canadian, our public health system has very limited coverage for me when I travel abroad. So I have private health insurance which covers basically everything from doctors to hospitals in the US and elsewhere but only for limited periods (up to 6 months). It also covers medical evacuation if that were to be necessary (you want this because it can cost over $50,000 to fly you home in an emergency).

As for the Canadian system, if as an American you have to use Canadian doctors or hospitals, you will be required to pay and then be reimbursed by your own insurance.

I know of Americans who live part-time in Canada and they basically use the 6 month visa (issued freely) and travel out of the country at least once each 6 months to stay legal. It's relatively easy to cross the border in order to do this. The advice to see a tax lawyer was good as there are rules (often broken) to follow in this regard.

Although Vancouver has been mentioned, the city of Victoria on Vancouver Island should also be considered as it is sunnier than Van and attracts a lot of retired (including gay) people. Basically you can golf year round there and it also has a beautiful setting on the ocean for those into sailing.

>Dude, don’t go hijacking threads.

That is my role. Well, that and proselytizing for the Bush Doctor and the Party of the People.

While you’ve been

>traipsing around South America, the rest of us have been

>getting etiquette lessons.

"Traipsing" is what marc anthony's twinks do. I was fucking through SA.

This is the newer, kinder, better

>behaved message center and we don’t have room for trouble

>makers.

Wow, you're sounding like Bush senior. Welcome aboard. Has everyone else also seen the light?

>

>I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in Corey. Although I’ve

>never had him in the particular way that you plan on working

>him, I can guarantee the kissing.

As long as he gets hard and shoves his big cock up my ass, he'll be fine.

Even better than the other

>working boy we have in common.

>

Yea, his new BF looks pretty hot too. I'm seeing them in the Spring.

Later.

Getting back to college towns: Lawrence, Kansas -- where the University of Kansas is located. A classic, treesy college town, with the university perched high on a hill (yes, Virginia, there ARE hills in Kansas), gay-friendly, culturally active (art museum, performing arts center), full of gorgeous college kids, and only 30 miles from Kansas City via two fast highways (I-70 and K-10). Lawrence has an actual, live downtown, and some fabulous Victorian homes for queens who like to restore/decorate/sprinkle fairy dust! Access to the Kansas City airport is easy, and air fares between Kansas City and virtually anywhere else are among the lowest in the country (it's not a major hub and there's a lot of competition). Being in the center of the country, it's actually not far from anywhere by air (1:15 hrs to Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Twin Cities; 2 hours or so to New York or other East Coast cities; 3 hours to the West Coast). Kansas City is a major medical center, so there's all the health care you need, and it also has a large, active gay scene along with all the usual cultural attractions of a major metro area. Winters in Lawrence/Kansas City usually aren't extreme (this winter has been an exception) with temperatures usually above freezing and snow only occasionally. Spring and fall are beautiful; summer is sizzling, of course. It's not a big tourist area, although there's a surprising amount to see and do, and people are impressively friendly. Check it out!

Guest bighugbearphx

Phoenix does indeed have a new all-gay retirement apartment community, offering regular apartments, those with maid service, optional meal service, or complete assisted living. There is a restaurant and lounge on site as well, as well as meeting rooms for various community organizations. It also offers nightly lodging, for those who want to check out the area. Their site is:

http://www.calamuscommunities.com/

There's also a mobile home community in Apache Junction (east of Tempe and Mesa) that is lesbian owned and filled mostly with GLBT retirees. I don't have the contact info on that offhand.

I have quite a few senior gay (tax) clients living in the SunCities and Surprise areas in the West Valley also. They tell me there are a lot of informal gatherings out there.

But the Calamus complex might be a better bet for those who like to be close in town, able to go to bars (there are a half dozen bars and two gay restaurants within a two mile radius). There are also three senior-oriented gay social groups that meet in Phoenix proper.

Guest Tristan

RE: Academic Bent

>If Paul Revere is correct about Boston, I would think that

>should also be a good bet. You did not speak much about

>weather requirements, which as PR pointed out, makes Boston

>somewhat unsuitable. Unfortunately, good weather and a vibrant

>cultural and academic environment do not seem to go hand in

>hand.

It seems that there is in fact a correlation between a vibrant cultural environment and bad weather. I lived in Boston for 28 years, so I can testify to that city from my own experience. I might add that the bad weather is longer than another reply states. Very often, you go from winter directly to summer. April has become a cold rainy month, and it really doesn't stay warm until after mid-May. The wind chill is brutal. September has become a warmer and nicer month, and one of the best times to go to P-Town, or Ogunquit in Maine.

I have never been in Seattle, but I think this is another good example. Reportedly, there are more bookstores per capita than any other city, not to say anything of coffee houses. There is also a lot of cultural support. But, of course, the weather stinks. Seems to have many cloudy and rainy days, in some ways more dismal than Boston. So I guess it is tough to find all three - a vibrant culture, nice weather, and a gay-friendly place.

I live in Ft. Lauderdale now. The weather is nice and warm. While the long summers are very humid, being able to walk out in February in 80º is wonderful. It is also much easier to get around town. Everything in Lauderdale is very compact. The down side is the lack of interest in the arts in South Florida. Oh, there are concerts and museums. But it is basically an outdoor culture with few non-Seniors interested in chamber music or an art museum. I am still in culture shock and probably always will be.

Thanks to the author for starting this thread. It has been most interesting.

Guest Tristan

Karl-G.

What you say is true. But there's another side to the story.

The Florida Philharmonic Orchestra, the main orchestra in Florida, folded last year due to lack of financial support. Subscribers who paid in advance lost their money.

The Boca Pops, a mini version of the Boston Pops, went under after many years, again due to lack of financial support from the fine rich people of Boca Raton and other neighboring towns. Just a few healthy checks would have kept it afloat. But the people of Boca rather buy a third Mercedes or Jaguar to drive around to show off. They want their music for free.

Third, the only commercial full-time classical FM station serving Miami/Ft. Lauderdale went off the air because the Disney Corporation, the owner, knew they could get more advertising money for a techno-rock station. The people who were outraged wrote letters to the Sun-Sentinal to no avail. Most people couldn't care less here. It was a sad day when they signed off.

I have not heard of another metropolitan area which has lost so much local musical culture in so short a time. It's nice to import all sorts of guest orchestras and artists, but the real test is what you can call your own. What I described would never have happened in a city like Seattle, which just celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Seattle Symphony. This city has one of the best classical stations on the air - KING. The same station is also the leading classical music station on the Internet and was the first to play a classcical CD on the air. It is a prime example of an environment that does support a vibrant culture. I'm from Boston, and I don't even need to say anything about that.

Archived