Golden Age

Will
This topic is 7388 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This topic may not appeal to many Boys from Hoo, but some might find it apposite. In the interests of planning ahead, I'm shopping around for retirement communities. I'd like a continuing care (i.e., you walk in, but you also die there) community in a good climate and near a city or a college/university town. Of course, I'd also like for it to be gay-friendly. Last year I saw that there's an all-gay/lesbian community in Florida. But I don't want to live in Florida and in any case it isn't near the libraries and other cultural amenities I need. If anybody else is interested in or looking for this kind of arrangement, I'd be grateful to know your thoughts and discoveries. Thanks in advance!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the years my gay friends and I have talked about banding together in our "golden years", buying a big enough house we could all share, somewhere nice, near enough to a decent sized city with good cultural and medical facilities.

Basically taking care of each other and as we die off, bringing in new and hopefully younger and healthier members along the way. Sort of a geriatric gay commune. We haven't done anything about it yet because we all think we're too young at this point (ha ha). Of course getting a bunch of gay men to all agree to live together peacefully might be a pipe dream.

Having just finished the process of finding a retirement home, I can contribute a few thoughts, but can't give you a definitive solution. To begin with, what is a "good climate" to one person may be undesirable to another. For me it's hot and dry, which is why I eventually settled on Palm Springs. However, I looked at a number of other places around the country, from Florida to the Pacific Northwest, that have better climates than Ohio or my hometown of Philadelphia. There are also different measures of how "gay friendly" a place should be. The Palms of Manistota (sp?) in Palmetto, FL, is an all-gay retirement community, and Palm Springs is reputedly 40% gay, but there are lots of places that don't immediately strike people as gay but are actually very comfortable places for gays to live, such as Sacramento.

Finding a combination of good climate, gay friendliness and cultural stimulation was important to me, too, but I couldn't find anyplace with plenty of all three attributes that was not an expensive West Coast city. If you don't mind gray but not particularly cold winters (by Midwestern standards), Portland has all of the above, and is somewhat less expensive than Seattle or the California cities. Santa Fe is a little cultural hothouse to which many of my gay friends have moved, but I find the winters unacceptable (dry, but cold). Ft. Lauderdale is warm and very gay, but distinctly lacking in cultural stimulation. I, too, don't particularly care for Florida, but found Orlando to be a surprising oasis, and it was actually my backup position because it is so affordable.

Given your academic bent, you might look at "Choose a College Town for Retirement" by Joseph Lubow (Globe Pequot Press, 1999), available through Amazon.com. The places he recommends that I took a serious look at were Athens, GA.; Chapel Hill, NC; Las Cruces, NM; Eugene, OR; Ellensburg, WA; Davis, CA; and San Luis Obispo, CA. In the long run, none of them appealed to me enough to settle there, but all had their attractions.

Other than the place in Palmetto, I am not aware of any organized "retirement communities" (independent living through nursing care) that are even gay-conscious, but that doesn't mean they don't exist--I just wasn't looking for that sort of life yet.

I was in Palm Springs this last Sunday.It sure has changed since I was there 10 years ago-I think for the better.

Visited with a friend of friend who is a real estate agent.She was showing a VERY nice doublewide in a senior park that was going for $60,000-and you owned the lot!My friends have just bought a big mid-century on a huge lot with pool and casita for $250,000.

I personally would not want to live anywhere cold when I get "up there in years"PS has a thriving older gay population-lots of socialization.It might not be the most "cultered"of places to live-but what you will save on living cost=lots of trips to bigger cities.

There was some talk of a Gay Retirement Community starting in Boston, but I have not seen anything solid.

Boston is the ultimate college town, and has plenty of culture. It also has easy access to New York and Montreal.

However, it is one of the most expensive plces to live in the U.S., and the climate sucks for about four months of the year (Dec - Mar). The rest of the year is OK. P-Town is an interesting option for retirement, but the winters can be very dreary.

I remember hearing recently of an "assisted living" retirement home started by two lesbians, and for some reason Phoenix sticks in my head as a location. Anybody heard of it? (The story also mentioned the place in Florida, so I don't think I'm mixing up the two...)

Academic Bent

For what it is worth, I think some of the California cities discussed here will meet some of your needs. San Francisco remains, unfortunately, a very expensive place to live, but you might find many of the amenities you seek culturally and academically in the Bay Area.

If Paul Revere is correct about Boston, I would think that should also be a good bet. You did not speak much about weather requirements, which as PR pointed out, makes Boston somewhat unsuitable. Unfortunately, good weather and a vibrant cultural and academic environment do not seem to go hand in hand. Palm Springs is an excellent idea, but while it is culturally improving, it is not going to compare to Cambridge, the Bay Area or any northeast cities.

I once visited Vancouver and thought it might be a good retirement option. A real city, but relaxed and close to nature. They tell me it rains a lot though. I would think the dollar would go far, and perhaps the Canadian health care system is not so expensive. Anyone know more about it?

Actually, I think it might make a splendid retirement home for someone who isn't a sun bunny.

The winter in Vancouver is usually pretty short and pretty mild. There are seasons when it does rain frequently, but Vancouver somehow tends to be a lot like a garden, even in the rain.

The gay community there is large and UBC provides a significant academic community as well, with all that brings to the party. Vancouver has a thriving cultural life, a stunning physical setting, and an open-minded, liberal population. (It's also a great place to take a vacation.)

Even though prices have been going up, you can still buy a condo there for quite a bit less than a corresponding unit in a corresponding US city. And if you're a US citizen with US health care, the US is only 40 minutes or so away. Lots of US citizens who live in Vancouver keep their US health care for serious health issues.

Of course, one of the most compelling reasons to consider Vancouver would be living on a fixed US-dollar income. The Canadian dollar has ranged variously against the US dollar over the decades, but is generally 25% below and sometimes as much as 33% below. That doesn't mean everything is at least 25% cheaper, since some things are priced higher. But certainly many things cost less.

I don't know what the tax implications would be for a US citizen residing long-term in Canada with a fixed US-dollar income. There would be both US and Canadian tax implications and I honestly don't know how they would wash out; it could be a net benefit or a net cost. A knowledgeable tax attorney might be able to offer an opinion.

BG

What a great topic! I'm "only" 51, but I can retire at 55, and have started giving serious thought to where I'd like to live. I currently live in the L.A. suburbs, so I'm very familiar with Palm Springs. While I enjoy visiting there, there's no way I'd consider living there year-round-- I cannot deal with the summer climate. The only way I'd be able to handle it would be to have another place in a more temperate climate for the summer months. And since I'm not in a financial position to do so, I've pretty much ruled out anywhere that gets as hot as P.S.

But I've given serious thought to Vancouver. You don't hear much about Americans retiring to Canada (at least not as much as you hear about them going to Mexico), but I have yet to find any major negatives, other than the fact that you have to find a way to legally emigrate, which is not all that easy.

Has anyone here actually made the move?

Its a long way from the midwest - but five of us from the Southof the Border Room here have recently bought second homes or secured apartments in Rio de Janiero. Without going into detail, it is nice to be in a city where a small amount of money (30,000 for a condo, 100,000 for a home) goes a long way. Construction costs in the NE area(Rio, SaoPaulo) average 1120 Reals/sq meter or $40/sq foot for the luxury category. There is a wealth of culture and the Rio medical etablishment has been setting the pace for new developments in cardiac care internationally. On the little street I am building on in the middle of Copacabana -a beautiful turn of the century colonial home sells for $230000. One can live well in Rio for $1000/month. Someone told me that the Mar/apr may issue of AARP magazine features an article on living in Mexico for $600 a month. Dont know about how gay friendly Mexico is but Rio is a delight.

Actually, I don't think you have to emigrate. There's something called "landed" status that one of our Canadian friends can tell you more about.

Basically, you'd need to come back to the US once or twice a year in order to keep your visas going -- I think. But I also understand it's pretty easy to do.

BG

I find this thread interesting. I would think San Diego inland would be a nice place to retire. Possibly Rancho Bernardo. It touches on all of the arts and education topics you mentioned and San Diego is gay friendly.

To the poster who mentioned Canada that would be a good choice except to legally live in the country is very hard to accomplish.

I also found the suggestion of Rio interesting as well. I think it might be too drastic of a change of lifestyle to retire there, well for me anyway.

Fort Lauderdale. Culture. Remarks similar to the above were made by friends of mine, and also out of ignorance, I think. Fort Lauderdale is 20 miles north of Miami; all of Miami's cultural groups perform in Fort Lauderdale, at the excellent Broward Center for the Arts, as well as in Miami and often Palm Beach. So, we have a season here in Fort Lauderdale of the Miami City Ballet with Edward Villela; the performances have been superb. We have Florida Grand Opera, which is now presenting "Romeo and Juliet" with an international cast in Fort Lauderdale. They present five operas each season. There are several orchestras in the area. There are constant touring artists of the highest quality: Itzak Perlman is here this week, Moscow Symphony, etc. etc. There is a chamber music series, a baroque series, etc. There are touring companies for all Broadway productions; last week was "42 Street." For colleges, in the immediate area are: Miami University, Southeastern Florida, Florida International U, Florida Atlantic U, all with enrollments over 20,000 and all presenting plays, concerts, art exhibits, lectures, etc. continuously. There are lots of smaller colleges also.

To summarize: Fort Lauderdale is one of the most culture-active cities in the U.S. in addition to having a superb climate, a gay community second only to San Francisco (it is said), immediate access to two major international airports (Fort Lauderdale and Miami), a highly cosmopolitan population, immense variety and high quality of dining. And an ocean which never gets colder than 70 degrees, so you can swim every day of the year. And grass and flowers which bloom all year long. The city is a riot of color right now; the orchid trees are just finishing their blooming cycle and ground orchids are in bloom all over.

Thanks to all who have replied thus far, and to those who've sent me private messages. I'm very glad I posted this question, and see that I'm not alone (as I thought I wasn't) in the quest. I didn't mention that I feel (only feel: maybe I don't "need") that I should be close to a major international airport on or close to the East Coast. ALL of my family and friends live east of the Mississippi River from Massachusets to Alabama, and in old age I don't know how wise it is to be a long way from people who really do love you and whom you love in return. I'm hoping to find something in the well-traveled corridor between New York and Atlanta, but it could be as far west as, say, Louisville-Nashville-Birmingham.

Apparently lots of straight people think it's a good place to retire, because it's warm and dry and cheap as hell. It pops up often in retirement guides. I have a sophisticated nephew (his father is gay) who went to NM State U there, and loved it. However, like you two, I was afraid I would feel really isolated.

I thought about British Columbia, but when I investigated I discovered that there are all kinds of roadblocks put up by the Canadian govt. to make sure that Americans don't retire there just in order to use the free Canadian health system. There is a lot of red tape to get permission to have a permanent residence, and it is difficult even to move one's household goods to Canada without paying exorbitant fees. There are rigid rules about how much time one must spend each year in each country, depending on one's citizenship and resident status. Then there are the physical roadblocks in these days of the war on terrorists, which can make the border crossing very time consuming, or impossible (one of the crossings was closed completely the other day because of a scare).

I like Ft. Lauderdale a lot--- it's a great place to visit. But as a fourth-generation Californian, I just cannot deal with the humidity. I tried living in the DC area-- I lasted 9 years, but had to hustle back to the only part of the country with TRULY great weather-- southern California.

I like Ft. Lauderdale a lot--- it's a great place to visit. But as a fourth-generation Californian, I just cannot deal with the humidity. I tried living in the DC area-- I lasted 9 years, but had to hustle back to the only part of the country with TRULY great weather-- southern California.

>I thought about British Columbia, but when I investigated I

>discovered that there are all kinds of roadblocks put up by

>the Canadian govt. to make sure that Americans don't retire

>there just in order to use the free Canadian health system.

I will have lifetime health insurance through my employer, even after retirement-- would that change their minds? Although I have no idea how US insurance coverage would work in Canada since I don't know much about their health insurance system.

Archived