Tonight's Random Query: Manhattan Haircut?

RyanDean
This topic is 3279 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After several years in my current location, I've still not found a reliable barber and I'm wearying of the random cuts I've been getting. So I am considering trying one of the newish "men's salons" (like Truman's or Fleischman's) that seem to be popping up.

So. Since y'all are connoisseurs and/or embodiments of masculine beauty, I wonder if anyone might have an informed recommendation for a very good men's haircutter in Manhattan?

I prefer a male haircutter. I prefer being able to make an appointment. I'd prefer something in the ballpark of $80. Ideally in Manhattan. (Or Central Jersey - ha, like that'll happen).

I know I risk opening the floodgates of the "I'd never pay more than ___ for a haircut" (and/or "I do it myself with kitchenshears") opinion brigade, but I thought it might worth the ask... And, as always, feel free to PM if that suits.

Ryan,

I know someone in Manhattan, but he charges $120 for a men's haircut. I considered recommending him here a while back, but I thought that most people wouldn't consider that price range. He's by appointment only and works in a salon on 5th Avenue in the 20s.

He is incredibly skilled technically. He does not use clippers at all on men unless the client insists. He says that scissors lead to a more precise and long-lasting cut. He was a trainer and educator for Shu Umeura for a long time, meaning that he traveled around the country teaching technique.

He also happens to be gay and extremely good looking. (Married for several years with a child though!) Happy to give you the info if you want to try him out.

He is incredibly skilled technically. He does not use clippers at all on men unless the client insists. He says that scissors lead to a more precise and long-lasting cut.

Not only that, having my hair cut with scissors feels really good compared to clippers.

Fuck all you hairy bastards. i haven't had enough hair to consider a quality haircut since about 1980 and since my father was alive and a barber, I never considered letting anyone else cut my hair. I guess with all the money I saved on haircuts back then, I could afford a $80 haircut, but unfortunately that would about $2 a hair and that just seems excessive.

Barber Bart on 21st Street between Park and Broadway. In the biz for many years and a terrific group of barbers (note: not really "stylists").

Check out website at:

Barberbart.com

No walk-ins, appointments necessary. I use "Eddie".

Haircut: $50

Haircut by Bart: $55

Classic Shave: $50

Haircut and Classic Shave: $85

Boys under 12: $40

Beard Trim: $20

(available with a haircut only)

All services include a refreshing hot towel, shampoo and scalp treatment.

There are also two men's barber shops on 23rd Street @ Seventh Avenue across the street from each other:

I cannot personally recommend them but I pass by frequently and they are always busy.

You can pre-book and appointment.

http://www.mademanbarber.com

Shave $30

Cut & Shave $50

Beard Trim $15

Kids Cut $17

Senior Citizen $17

Haircut $25

Scissor Cut & Style $35

Deep Tissue Close Shave & Massage $45

I have used Antonios on East 43rd street (Just West of 2nd Ave) for almost 40 years.

George is GREAT! Cost is less than $40. 212 986 8842

Robert Redford gets his hair cut here if that is any incentive. Can't recommend them highly enough!

I have used Antonios on East 43rd street (Just West of 2nd Ave) for almost 40 years.

George is GREAT! Cost is less than $40. 212 986 8842

Robert Redford gets his hair cut here if that is any incentive. Can't recommend them highly enough!

That price is a steal compared to the others on this thread.

T

You can get $15-20 haircuts easily in these here parts, Jimboivyo.

It's what I have been doing for the last few years.

It's just not what I'm looking for right now.

And I'm sure you could overpay for a haircut in your town if you so chose.

Different strokes, you know.

Just curious for those of you only paying $10 for a haircut, wherever you live: How long does your barber spend cutting your hair? The reason I ask is that I used to go to a barber shop that was inexpensive (not $10, but only the worst barbers charge that in San Francisco). If I was lucky, I'd have someone spend 15 minutes cutting my hair. I decided several years ago to try a new place since his introductory rate was about the same as my barber shop and his ongoing rate was still reasonable (about 60% more than my barber shop). I immediately started getting compliments on my hair, something that hadn't happened since I had previously visited a salon instead of a barber shop in my early twenties. It's my belief that even a great barber can only do a mediocre haircut if he's squeezing in 3 to 4 customers in the time that a "stylist" would devote to a single customer. Not that every stylist is going to be talented, so one could get a bad cut and overpay for it. And not that every man gets his hair cut in a way that matters (a buzz cut is a buzz cut, pretty much). But if you still have a relatively full head of hair and actually want to have it look good throughout the day, there's no substitute for a good haircut done by someone with scissors who spends enough time cutting and looking, looking and cutting to make sure that the cut was done well.

I've been paying under $15 for a haircut for the last nine years. The haircuts I get there are average, but I love the fact that it is a true barbershop and they shave my neck with a straight edge razor. Much better than some of the chain options.

However, prior to moving to my current city, I saw a stylist and paid $50 per session. The shampoo was practically a scalp massage and the quality of the haircut was much better. If I could find a quality stylist in a convenient location that wasn't all 20-something girls who conversations included the word "like" in every sentence, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll stick with my barber who is only three blocks away.

You guys do understand that this is Manhattan and the overhead for running a small business is overwhelming. Commercial rent prices are outrageous and there are no protections for the small business owner. Barbers in midtown, and downtown, simply cannot afford to stay in business offering a $10 haircut...sorry, ain't gonna happen here.

Archived