Barcelona - Sauna Thermas - It only got better!

imrthr

On 5/10/2024 at 11:54 AM, ToddH said:

There were several (10-20) guys working and not too many clients.

At the front desk reception when you're about to pay for entrance, ask them how many guys there are. (cuantas chicos hay). Ten seems to be the norm for a weekday afternoon in my experience.

14 hours ago, Thique said:

Thanks for sharing ToddH. What does 50 euro get you? 

Depends on the guy, but a general rule of thumb is that it's 50 euro for 30 minutes and then whatever activity you agreed upon.

I did a detailed write up on the sauna and what to expect in the other thread:

https://www.companyofmen.org/topic/151289-barcelona-2024/?do=findComment&comment=2289083

15 hours ago, Thique said:

Thanks for sharing ToddH. What does 50 euro get you? 

There's more on this topic on page 11 of this thread.  That's the beauty of keeping alive a thread with a few years' of contributions, provided it stays on topic. For example:

On 11/7/2023 at 4:53 AM, SouthOfTheBorder said:

fyi - the going rate at Thermas is 50euro. Not 40, not 70.  It’s 50 now (as of a week ago) and it’s been 50 for as long as I can remember.   Keep in mind that for 50, you get about 30 minutes, more or less.  It’s absolutely not for one hour.

Instead of asking how much, it might be better to just confirm that you know it’s 50.  If you’re told otherwise, then walk away from that person because they just failed the first test & it’s unlikely to improve. 
I could potentially see some discussion for a higher rate if requesting something specific that is not routine.  And I’d be careful about that because the very best guys will usually decline the moment something gets complicated. 

And be careful of the guys that approach you immediately with pressure.  The guys in demand don’t operate that way. 

btw - Thermas is better than ever.  Something for everyone, very clean facility, polite staff & completely safe. No drag shows or other distractions.  Majority of guys are Brazilian, Venezuelan, Colombian & Dominican.  All things considered, it’s way better than Lagoa or any of the Rio saunas.  

Glad to hear 50 Euros is still the going rate for 30 minutes in 2024.  Just 4.5 months until I visit Thermas for my first time!

Posted (edited)

I hadn't really read this thread much since I doubt I'll ever return to Barcelona (been there 3 or 4 times).  But reading about Thermas brought back enough memories that it made me look at my old trip notes to see when I would have been there.  1998, yikes!  I want to say I hired a guy for the equivalent of about $20.  It actually took me about an hour to realize it was a 'for hire' place, LOL.

Edited by Jim_n_NYC

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Thique said:

What does 50 euro get you? 

that depends on the client.  
as a suggestion, chat up your potential hire at the bar & buy him a drink. use the time at the bar to do all the small talk, negotiate exactly what you want & whatever else you need to check before committing.  
this is typical & makes your time in the cabin more efficient - when you get into the cabin, you can get right to it & maximize the time. the bar is on the lowest floor.

i would not hire someone on the other floors & go directly to a room without a conversation at the bar.  most will welcome the drink, give you better service & the bar has better lighting.

as mentioned previously, it’s been my experience that the best guys (most in demand) do not approach clients aggressively.  the agressive guys are the ones to avoid. All are easily approachable - don’t be shy during prime time or you might not get your preferred guys.

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

some Thermas tips 

1. go early - before it gets crowded.  Thermas is big and spread across 3 floors - it can be disorienting to arrive when filed with providers & clients. Plus - it’s competitive & the locals/regulars will always go for their favorites who are usually the most in-demand. Arriving when it’s crowded puts you at a disadvantage. I like to arrive at opening about 3p and watch as providers/ clients arrive. 

2. get familiar with the layout - because it is confusing.  I’d recommend a complete walk-through of the entire place at least once to take note of spa facilities & bar (first floor), all showers (first & second floors).  And the one private bathroom on first floor with a douche - the key to that bathroom is at reception and depending on the attendant, they may require you buy an attachment or if you have your own, then a tip to get the key.  Return the key asap as there may be others waiting.

3. there will always be guys hanging around the reception area & watching the clients locker room.  the game is to snag clients in that area & before they can see the other providers.  don’t fall for it.

4. like anywhere else - be cautious if anyone offers you anything to ingest. last time I was there, a provider offered candy between sessions - upon inspection it was potent edible marijuana. there are a couple guys there routinely selling things - I’d avoid them & whatever they have.  they are obvious & likely will make an approach at some point. 

5. the free cabins are fine for 30 minutes & the staff cleans continuously- but that doesn’t mean you’ll always get a fresh cabin.  If you want to make sure it’s clean - then private rooms. Again - getting there early ensures access to private rooms - when it’s crowded you may wait and sometimes they don’t open up at all. 

6. you dont need ID to get in - leave passports & valuables in your hotel safe.  I carry a set amount of cash, one credit card & phone.  I don’t leave those items in the locker - I carry them with me in a small pack at all times.  you need cash for the guys - everything else can be on credit card.

7. bring your own condoms & lube.  the condoms provided are the most basic & the lube is almost nonexistent.  the guys appreciate good quality condoms & it makes a big difference.  I like to bring my own antibacterial soap along too - just to be extra careful between sessions.  availability of soap in the showers is not a sure thing.

8. if smoking bothers you - avoid the area on the second floor where smokers congregate.  for people who smoke, it’s ideal place to engage the guys in a more relaxed environment.

9. don’t be afraid to say no.  you will be approached many times by guys who may not be your type.  there’s not pressure per se, but they are direct and don’t want to waste time.  they are used to no & it’s just part of the environment.  polite & firm gets the message across.  

10. you will pay for everything at the end & check your final bill carefully.  if buying drinks for providers, make sure you are clear at that time what you’re offering. an offer for a drink can easily turn into a full meal - and that’s fine if that is what you’re offering.  if spending a few hours there, the charges can add up quickly. 

11. don’t be afraid to tell the provider exactly what you want - they’re professionals and have seen it all, several times.  no reason to be embarrassed.  If there is a language barrier - use google translate or show them a video of the type of scene you want. a video is easiest way to get the clear message across & I’ve seen several clients do it.