its fucking cold here

Bart
This topic is 2325 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There actually is a difference. I find in Arizona you can rest in the shade and feel a little cooler even if it's 100+. In Missouri, TX or FL you step outside for an hour and feel dirty. I don't even get breakouts anymore. Went to Florida for 3 weeks, started all over again.

I agree completely. There is a dry cold and a dry heat, for me at least. 20 degrees in the Sierras of California seem much colder than say being in 20 degree temperature in the mountains of Utah. The drier cold doesn't seem as bad, just as 100 degrees in Palm Springs isn't as bad as 100 degrees in FL.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to be affecting the business too. Detroit Men4RentNow and Rentboy have fewer listings than I've seen in a long time, and the numbers dropped just in the last day or two. I know of a travelling couple that were scheduled to be here this week. When their ads disappeared, I doublechecked and they're in Florida.

available on t-shirts at tourist meccas and airport gift shops all over Arizona....

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/58886/47dbee0c67b14_58886n.jpg

LMAO....I used to say that all the time when friends complained about the heat in Havasu, when it was 112 degrees and climbing...brought back some very funny memories.

available on t-shirts at tourist meccas and airport gift shops all over Arizona....

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/58886/47dbee0c67b14_58886n.jpg

:p

I once attended a conference in Tempe, I think, during the fall when the weather took an unexpected turn to COLD. One of the evening social events was planned for outside. Attendees, teeth chattering, were walking up to bartenders who would reach into an ice-filled trough and serve up an ice cold bottle of beer. The bartenders would smile nicely and say "It's a dry cold".

Wet cold? Dry cold? Expert says there's no such thing

http://rlv.zcache.com.au/but_its_a_dry_cold_postcard-rc467d6665d5841adae7bf529eaf0f878_vgbaq_8byvr_512.jpg

Dry cold, wet cold, it's all the same says one prominent climatologist with Environment Canada.

Dave Phillips has heard it before. In the dead of winter, a person from Edmonton visits Windsor, Ont., known for its summertime humidity, and complains about the "wet cold."

It simply isn't true, Phillips said.

"There's nothing to it. It's a myth," Phillips said. "I hear it so much on the Prairies; 'at least ours is a dry cold, not like that damp cold you have in Ontario. And our heat is dry.'

"I think they think their precipitation is dry."

Phillips said -15C in Windsor feels the same as -15C in Winnipeg.

"It's part of legend. It's part of a rallying cry. They defend their brutal winters out there," Phillips said of Western Canadians. "Now, we'd probably call in the army in Ontario. And they would be going in from the patio in Winnipeg."

In January 1999, Toronto Mayor Mel Lastman called in the Canadian army to help remove snow from city streets.

When it comes to temperature, if all other weather elements are equal, cold is cold in the east or west, Phillips said. It's also dry — period.

"At these very low temperatures, there is virtually no humidity in the air. If there was humidity, you'd be in an ice fog. All that moisture would condense in the air and you'd be in an ice fog," Phillips explained. "You wouldn't be able to see the hood ornament of your car.

"At those very low temperatures, it's almost a desert dryness."

The biggest factor in "feeling" colder is the wind.

"It could be that you're under high pressure in Manitoba and it's very calm. In Windsor, you could have a bitter, stronger wind coming off the water," Phillips said.

The low overnight low in Windsor -17C and Wednesday's high is expected to be -7C

Windsor had a wind chill temperature of -29C Tuesday. Skin will freeze in 20 minutes under those conditions, Phillips said.

The wind chill on Wednesday is predicted to be -23C.

"It’s been two years in the making, but it’s going to be short lived," Phillips said of the cold snap. "By the end of the month, we’ll be into another January thaw."

source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/wet-cold-dry-cold-expert-says-there-s-no-such-thing-1.1306657

Would it be wrong to complain that my ice maker isn't working?

(Sprained my ankle and that ice maker is letting me down!)

Hey Deej, just hire a hot Rentboy ice maker to help with both making your ice and helping you get off that ankle and into a more comfortable position, at least until it heals! LOL!!!

TruHart1 :cool:

Hey Deej, just hire a hot Rentboy ice maker to help with both making your ice and helping you get off that ankle and into a more comfortable position, at least until it heals! LOL!!!

TruHart1 :cool:

:D

They do say you should keep the foot elevated.

• 3 years later...