another GLBT server denied tip for "gay lifestyle".....

azdr0710
This topic is 3843 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

What pisses me off about these incidents, more than the bigotry itself, is that these "customers" are using their bigotry as an excuse to steal, yes steal, someone else's work product.

Didn't like the look of the waiter? (I don't buy for a second that they thought she was a guy.) Get up and leave the restaurant before you order anything, and don't come back. Start a message board where you can discuss restaurants that don't employ gay people. They have the right to do that.

However, these people had no objection to enjoying the service of those whose "lifestyles" they disapprove of. The customer from last month's incident even commented that the service was excellent. It's paying for the service given by homosexuals that they refuse to do.

They list her age as 22 and she says she has been a server on and off for 10 years. I believe it is illegal in New Jersery to employ someone uner 16 for food service. Perhaps she worked in her family's establishment. In any case, this family deserved a spit in the potatoes for the Dan remark. Idiots.

It shouldn't surprise anyone that we are seeing such blatantly hateful attitudes towards gay people. We have been making great legal strides recently with respect to equality, but at the same time there are many in a position of power who keep repeating the mantra that we are evil/immoral/degenerate/whatever. Of course some people are going to feel free to act out their hatred when well known politicians or other public figures espouse similar views. I think back to the sixties and how much backlash there was from some fronts as black people in the United States were finally having their right to equal treatment under the law acknowledged. Progress doesn't happen without the most ignorant in our society kicking and screaming along the way. If there were as many vocal racists as there are anti-gay bigots, I assume we'd still be seeing similar hostility against persons of color still. Not that racism is dead, but for the most part people realize they need to try to not be so out front about it. That isn't true with respect to gay people -- yet.

What pisses me off about these incidents, more than the bigotry itself, is that these "customers" are using their bigotry as an excuse to steal, yes steal, someone else's work product.

Didn't like the look of the waiter? (I don't buy for a second that they thought she was a guy.) Get up and leave the restaurant before you order anything, and don't come back. Start a message board where you can discuss restaurants that don't employ gay people. They have the right to do that.

However, these people had no objection to enjoying the service of those whose "lifestyles" they disapprove of. The customer from last month's incident even commented that the service was excellent. It's paying for the service given by homosexuals that they refuse to do.

Agree. How do you rationalize that someone is good enough to handle your food, but not get paid?

It shouldn't surprise anyone that we are seeing such blatantly hateful attitudes towards gay people. We have been making great legal strides recently with respect to equality, but at the same time there are many in a position of power who keep repeating the mantra that we are evil/immoral/degenerate/whatever. Of course some people are going to feel free to act out their hatred when well known politicians or other public figures espouse similar views. I think back to the sixties and how much backlash there was from some fronts as black people in the United States were finally having their right to equal treatment under the law acknowledged. Progress doesn't happen without the most ignorant in our society kicking and screaming along the way. If there were as many vocal racists as there are anti-gay bigots, I assume we'd still be seeing similar hostility against persons of color still. Not that racism is dead, but for the most part people realize they need to try to not be so out front about it. That isn't true with respect to gay people -- yet.

Indeed. When firmly held beliefs are challenged, the holder clings harder and becomes more vocal.

Heck, we're still having political battles over reproductive rights and that was settled law 40 years ago. Racial animus hasn't gone away and won't any time soon. Nor will homophobia.

The best we can do is continue to stand up for what's right. Shine a bright light on cockroaches and they run for a hiding place. It won't change their attitudes, but it might get them to shut the hell up.

Oh ... DEEJ! ... people who use words like "animus" reeeally turn me on! And I mean that truthfully, in support of literate speech and writing; this is not a sarcastic put-down of the sort often slung on these various boards. Nice to see educated people commenting in erudite fashion on important issues.

And I agree with you. In fact, just as there has been a resurgence in up-front/in-your-face homophobia as we march slowly yet steadily towards equality, there has been a MAJOR resurgence of racial animus since Obama's election(s) ... on several levels. Black friends of mine in parts of the deep South (places where folks think confederate flags on kids' T-shirts are fine for school, while rainbow flags are not) tell me that they have not experienced the current level of "street racism" since the 1960's ... and that they are having to "dust off" the coping mechanisms they used back then.

Lots has been written about this on the national level. A lot of people including (though not limited to) many older, white, male, uneducated folk who deeply resent the "rise" of those they once felt free to disparage, are realizing that the balance of both political and social power is shifting, and they are striking out - with everything from racially-based gerrymandering to stiffing servers perceived as being GLBT.

There's a very interesting OP-Ed ion the NY Times this week about Dallas ... an article entitled "The city with a death wish in its eye" (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/17/opinion/sunday/dallass-role-in-kennedys-murder.html?ref=opinion). And some of the history of that particular city at the particular time of the Kennedy assassination resonates with fearful power in some of the dialogue at the national level about both race and sexuality.

Agreed - I can't count the people who start out with "I'm not racist, but..." and then launch into an anti-Obama rant that usually has nothing to do with his policies or performance, but is all personally based. Slamming him for things (almost said "excoriating", just for you, shadowcatzxxx :D) that every president in the past generation has done. I can't help but think they'd use the word "uppity" if they thought they could get away with it.

Agreed - I can't count the people who start out with "I'm not racist, but..." and then launch into an anti-Obama rant that usually has nothing to do with his policies or performance, but is all personally based. Slamming him for things (almost said "excoriating", just for you, shadowcatzxxx :D) that every president in the past generation has done. I can't help but think they'd use the word "uppity" if they thought they could get away with it.

They have used the word "uppity", but it was about Michelle.

I've said it before: if you use the phrase "I am not a ..." chances are pretty good you actually are one. Likewise if you say "some of my best friends are..." they probably really aren't.

I'm not racist. I don't like him for the policies he has signed and supports such as more gun control, ACA, Patriot Act, NDAA, drone bombing, support for rebels who are supposedly our enemies, corp bailouts and hb 347 just off the top of my head. If one wants to call me a racist fine so be it. But those that know me well enough know the truth.

Hugs,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

poolboy's comment further affirms my belief that modern American liberals are the most selfish beings in the history of the human race. One of the myriad reasons is that they claim to believe in lofty principles, such as free speech, yet selfishly (because there is no other way of doing things for liberals) hoard such rights/freedoms only for themselves and those who agree with them. If you disagree with a liberal, (to borrow from "Seinfeld") NO free speech for you!! Grotesquely selfish liberals actually have no consistent set of values; they see, analyze, and understand all human events by The Single Liberal Principle: "how does this benefit ME?" In the case of free speech, they can say anything they want without restraint or reproach, such as when Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a C U N T, and not a single liberal in America uttered a peep of protest (ok, NOW issued a feeble, token statement only after they were goaded into it). Rush Limbaugh calls Sandra "I Demand You Pay For My $3000 of Birth Control" Fluke a sl*t, and the Left tries to destroy him. It's not a double standard; it's a single standard, the Single Liberal Principle. Back to the subject of free speech, criticize Obama, and you're a RACIST!! Liberals know all too well how damaging the accusation of racism is: it can cause a person to lose his job, it can permanently damage his reputation, it can even destroy a career. Liberals couldn't care less if the accusation has any merit or not (because these modern-day Pharisees don't care about racism anywhere nearly as much as they like to carry on). "How does this benefit ME?" The benefit is that it shuts down any and all speech that the most grotesquely selfish beings in the history of the human race disapprove of.

Oh, it's looking like yet another anti-gay hoax. When will the Cult of Victimhood (and nobody does indulgent self-pity like the Gay Left) cease and desist with the cringe-inducing embarrassment of hate-crime hoaxes? As I did in another thread, as long as this thread remains active, I'll post another incident of a hate-crime hoax. Today I'll take on the Granddaddy of Hate Crime Hoaxes, the myth of St. Matthew. If you haven't already, you simply must read The Book of Matt. It unravels the fabrication of Matthew Shepard's victimhood, which was used to ram through previously moribund hate-crime legislation. Matthew Shepard was a meth-head and meth dealer, and his ultraviolent death was at the hands of a meth addict desperate for a score. The author's research is impeccable and incontrovertible. Not that it matters to the Gay Left, of course, who will always cleave to their self-indulgence regardless of any compilation of facts.

poolboy's comment further affirms my belief that modern American liberals are the most selfish beings in the history of the human race. One of the myriad reasons is that they claim to believe in lofty principles, such as free speech, yet selfishly (because there is no other way of doing things for liberals) hoard such rights/freedoms only for themselves and those who agree with them. If you disagree with a liberal, (to borrow from "Seinfeld") NO free speech for you!! Grotesquely selfish liberals actually have no consistent set of values; they see, analyze, and understand all human events by The Single Liberal Principle: "how does this benefit ME?" In the case of free speech, they can say anything they want without restraint or reproach, such as when Bill Maher called Sarah Palin a C U N T, and not a single liberal in America uttered a peep of protest (ok, NOW issued a feeble, token statement only after they were goaded into it). Rush Limbaugh calls Sandra "I Demand You Pay For My $3000 of Birth Control" Fluke a sl*t, and the Left tries to destroy him. It's not a double standard; it's a single standard, the Single Liberal Principle. Back to the subject of free speech, criticize Obama, and you're a RACIST!! Liberals know all too well how damaging the accusation of racism is: it can cause a person to lose his job, it can permanently damage his reputation, it can even destroy a career. Liberals couldn't care less if the accusation has any merit or not (because these modern-day Pharisees don't care about racism anywhere nearly as much as they like to carry on). "How does this benefit ME?" The benefit is that it shuts down any and all speech that the most grotesquely selfish beings in the history of the human race disapprove of.

Oh, it's looking like yet another anti-gay hoax. When will the Cult of Victimhood (and nobody does indulgent self-pity like the Gay Left) cease and desist with the cringe-inducing embarrassment of hate-crime hoaxes? As I did in another thread, as long as this thread remains active, I'll post another incident of a hate-crime hoax. Today I'll take on the Granddaddy of Hate Crime Hoaxes, the myth of St. Matthew. If you haven't already, you simply must read The Book of Matt. It unravels the fabrication of Matthew Shepard's victimhood, which was used to ram through previously moribund hate-crime legislation. Matthew Shepard was a meth-head and meth dealer, and his ultraviolent death was at the hands of a meth addict desperate for a score. The author's research is impeccable and incontrovertible. Not that it matters to the Gay Left, of course, who will always cleave to their self-indulgence regardless of any compilation of facts.

Couldn't disagree with you more. There are extremely self-centered people of all political persuasions. There are liars and cheats of all political persuasions.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to close the circle on this one, the waitress in question is no longer working at the restaurant in question by mutual agreement. Whilst the investigation into why her story did not jibe with the family's story, evidence suggested the family did indeed tip her 20%. The tipping family has more evidence to back up their position than the waitress has.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/08/us/new-york-gay-waitress-tip/index.html?c=homepage-t

Archived