snowpocalypse

Andre
This topic is 5208 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Blizzard of 2010

Thanks Andre for that wind blown video, looks bad in DC.... NY just missed the last snow storm but not this time, we're getting hit hard, still snowing, about 8 inches so far with lots more predicted... Glad to see that the FedEx delivery man was able to get around. He's probably the only one out working on a day like this... I'm sure the West Coast frequent flyers who were recently in NYC are happy to be back home. Sleeping in airports is the worst.

Snowball Fight Dupont Circle

Who says DC is full of uptight, Type A personalities?

See we can have fun...you just have to sign a waiver. :)

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2010/02/10/the-dupont-circle-snowball-fight-redux-game-on/

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Another-snowball-fight-planned-for-Dupont-Circle-83890052.html

Ok, I made up the part about a waiver...sort of. ;)

When I lived in the DC area 15 years ago I used to joke that you could snarl traffic for miles around just by putting a sign over the road that said SNOW.

The pictures I'm seeing from there today are just unreal.

At least this storm is making some southern californians a little sheepish complaining about temps in the 50s. ;)

Deej,

"Rain" has the same effect. So does "sunshine" or "just because". :rolleyes:

When I lived in the DC area 15 years ago I used to joke that you could snarl traffic for miles around just by putting a sign over the road that said SNOW.

The pictures I'm seeing from there today are just unreal.

At least this storm is making some southern californians a little sheepish complaining about temps in the 50s. ;)

This has got to be the weirdest winter. Today in Montreal it was just below freezing and sunny, brilliant blue skies. I sat on a park bench and watched my dog play in what little snow is left, about two inches and many grassy spots. This is Montreal in mid-winter, and we haven't had any snow for a month and over the winter just one middling snow storm in December.

Unbelievable, especially when I see what is happening to the south of us. They are getting the kind of weather we had the last two winters, so much snow I had to get it removed from the roof of my chalet three times when normally once a winter would suffice.

In Vancouver they are praying for snow. The Olympics are starting in 3 days and they are having to truck snow in for certain venues, not at Whistler though, but mountains closer to the city, which is enjoying 50 degrees temperatures.

Oh, El Nino. what havoc you wrought!

Was sitting here in my office about 1/2 hour ago and heard a crack and then the sky outside my window filled with snow. A twenty foot branch off a pine tree landed just outside my window and hit the chain link fence of my dog run snapping the branch in half. Looking in my back yard at least 5 large branches are off the pine trees and in my front yard which is dominated by a single 60 foot tall pine, the tree is split with half the branches going one way and half the other. So far the trunk is intact. Would hate to loose that tree which is likely 80 years old.

Yes, the streets of New York City are very lovely nowand all the trees have a coating of white pristione snow, but I'm sure will start to turn to slush tomorrow afternoon! All NYC schools were closed today and it's snowing like crazy.

A friend went to the matinee performance of "A View From The Bridge" this afternoon and said the theater was about 70% full. He had no difficulty in moving forward a number of rows from balcony to mezz to a better seat

I have a ticket for Michael Feinstein at Zankel Hall (downstairs at Carnegie Hall) tonight at 7:30 and according to the info at Carnegie Hall, the show will go on. I wonder how many will show up? There seems to be a bit of a lull right now so I may venture forward rather than waste a rather expensive ticket.

For those at home snug and warm, I'd say, stay there and have a lovely evening....

ED

It was a blast!

Who says DC is full of uptight, Type A personalities?

See we can have fun...you just have to sign a waiver. :)

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2010/02/10/the-dupont-circle-snowball-fight-redux-game-on/

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/local/Another-snowball-fight-planned-for-Dupont-Circle-83890052.html

Ok, I made up the part about a waiver...sort of. ;)

Walked over to Dupont to kick some ass at the snowball war. Thanks a lot for the post, I had a lot of fun.

Guest greatness

should I go up there

Maybe I'll ride my horse and come to your rescue~~ :)

Once there, I will draw my sword and sternly command to snow

"If you want him, come and claim him!" like Arwen in The Fellowship of the Ring and with my magical power, I'll melt snow into water. Then I will take your loving dogs and you to Rivendell on my speedy horse. Meanwhile tree elders, my dear friends, will protect your house from snow while you and I will be sun bathing with me in Rivendell. How does it sound to you? :D

Was sitting here in my office about 1/2 hour ago and heard a crack and then the sky outside my window filled with snow. A twenty foot branch off a pine tree landed just outside my window and hit the chain link fence of my dog run snapping the branch in half. Looking in my back yard at least 5 large branches are off the pine trees and in my front yard which is dominated by a single 60 foot tall pine, the tree is split with half the branches going one way and half the other. So far the trunk is intact. Would hate to loose that tree which is likely 80 years old.

It's official--this is the snowiest winter in 2006 yrs. of counting. My backyard is piled high, with even taller mounds where I put the shoveling from the first round. I'm getting ready for yet another day of shovelling, but this stuff is fluffy so it'll go quickly. The street haven't been plowed yet but should be clear sometime in March or maybe early April. I will say one thing--this shit really pulled the neighborhood together with folks checking on each other (we lost power for 39 hrs.), helping essential personelle dig out when they had to get out, and just doing a lot of jawing as we all hoisted our shovels. The forecast says something about snow flurries again on Monday, but at this point what's a little bit more--we're getting it down to a system.

My favorite snowstorm was when I lasted 45 minutes through a blizzard in Central park. I was very cold, but it was so beautiful.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2010/02/11/news/photos_stories/cropped/snow_storm--300x450.jpg Chad Rachman/N.Y.Post

CENTRAL COOLING: Fifth Avenue’s sidewalk along Central Park looks like a picture postcard.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/gotham_great_f6GzUvazjeNMOyz8IDsjfK#ixzz0fEz47rZY

I loved scrolling through all those photos of the blizzard yesterday. I was at home here in Palm Springs, because my tennis match had been cancelled due to a tenth of an inch of rain on the court the night before. (For what it's worth, I lived in Philadelphia during the winter of 1995-96, whose record snowfall was broken yesterday--nostalgia? no thanks. I vowed that was the last time I would shovel an entire street in order to use my car.)

http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef0120a8920cc1970b-500wi

"As dozens of colleges across the Mid-Atlantic canceled classes this week to dig out from a one-two punch of winter snowstorms, students took advantage of the time off to wage epic snowball battles, build snow sculptures, and simply play in the white stuff. At McDaniel College, in Westminster, Md., Colin Miller got a shot of a fellow student getting air (and some goosebumps) on a snowboard." Towleroad.com

How the igloo was built...

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-406039

How the igloo was used:

http://images.huffingtonpost.com/gen/140463/thumbs/s-IGLOO-DOORWAY-large.jpg

From HuffPost:

NEW CASTLE, Del. — Police responding to a report of a suspicious man carrying a gun instead found two legs sticking out of a homemade igloo. New Castle County police said the legs belong to Delaware teen who was arrested Wednesday after he was found to be carrying a survival knife, a hammer, 7.5 grams of marijuana and two marijuana pipes.

County police spokesman Senior Cpl. Trinidad Navarro said the teen was released to his parents. Police said he was charged with carrying a concealed deadly weapon, carrying a concealed deadly instrument, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession of marijuana.

Archived