Gay Aussie Cop [allegedly] Kills Ex and His New BF

dutchal

This is an incredibly sad story, but one that in some respects is unsurprising, We have continuing public discussions and community disquiet about domestic violence in this country, and calls for more to be done in an attempt to rein in the number of murders of women and their children by their current and former [overwhelmingly] male partners. Advocates in that space have acknowledged the parallels in this case, and indeed cited it as further evidence of the same problem. The signs, as reported in the Channel 10 news item, that the alleged perpetrator displayed after his relationship ended are similar to behaviour recognised after other cases of intimate partner violence.

The story has been in the news since the items were discovered in the skip at Cronulla on Wednesday and at the top of bulletins since Detective Superintendent Doherty's presser yesterday. What's struck me has been the matter-of-fact way the story has been covered in the local media, in a BBC item I read yesterday, and in the story posted above. There hasn't been a hint of salacious reporting nor comment on the gender of the couple, just reporting of Jesse and Luke and of the alleged perpetrator. As it should be. Just a senseless crime.

Intimate partner violence is on the upswing in Canada and I suppose in other countries as well. It’s not limited to opposite sex couples and increasing we will see it in gay couples as well. 
Of course it goes back to Shakespeare’s time as portrayed in Othello so is nothing new. Even further back in Greek tragedy. Jealousy and rage are human traits and will never be stamped out. There are other factors as well at play so would take a book or more to adequately treat. 
My best advice to myself is try to choose your intimate partners wisely. Even those we celebrate on this site. 

BREAKING: The NSW police commissioner has just announced (Tuesday, 1530AEDT) at a press conference in Sydney that NSW Police have discovered the remains of two people at a rural property at Bungonia, about 200km south west of Sydney. Police searched the area, in the same general area as a previous search had been conducted yesterday, following up on information obtained from the accused.

2 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

Maybe I’m out of line here but I find the comments by @dutchal @pubic_assistance and @marylander1940 to be distasteful, not just superficial. Please remember two young men have been senselessly killed.

As much as I understand your point "whoever is free of sin shall cast the first stone" in this online forum.

You can always report content you consider inappropriate. 

Edited by marylander1940

Following discussions between the Mardi Gras board and the NSW Police Minister and Police Commissioner, the NSW police will have a contingent in the Mardi Gras parade on Saturday night. It will a smaller group than in recent years and they will not march in uniform.

8 hours ago, mike carey said:

Following discussions between the Mardi Gras board and the NSW Police Minister and Police Commissioner, the NSW police will have a contingent in the Mardi Gras parade on Saturday night. It will a smaller group than in recent years and they will not march in uniform.

The Mardi Gras board are a bunch of twats. 

Other than the fact that the gay, lover, murder happened to be a cop…it has nothing to do with the Police whatsoever.

This was a crime of passion. It was neither police brutality nor a hate crime. 

We need all the allies we can get. They want to march with you in solidarity and you kick them out? Stupid Twats.