Total Solar Eclipse Plans

Bokomaru

April 8th there will be a total solar eclipse in the US. The one in 2017 was spectacular, beyond beautiful. This will be the last one for the next 20 years here. I plan to travel to see it.  What’s the weather like in TX in early April? 
I’m fearful that if I stay in the Northeast I’ll end up with crap weather. Anyone else strategizing and planning a trip?

IMG_6799.jpeg

Given uncertainty of weather, I wonder if it makes sense to wait until @ 1 week before and then make your travel plans?   I also live in the NE - and weather forecasts here are not that reliable at t+7 days, but in other areas of the country should be.  Looks like it will travel directly over Niagara Falls.....

Fortunately, it travels directly over my home. (Neighbors going nuts trying to rent out their places 😝 If the weather cooperates, it’ll be awesome.

My hometown, a tiny little speck on the map, tried to promote itself for the 2017 event. But the path of totality was miles wide and stretched across the nation.  There was no discernible influx of people in the region.  I suspect this one will be similar. 

I was thinking of going to Pittsburgh. That way I could drive to Ohio or northern NY depending on which had better weather. And I’ve always wanted to see Falling Water. 

Still… TX is probably a safer bet, although it’s not a place I particularly enjoy visiting. 

2 minutes ago, Bokomaru said:

My hometown, a tiny little speck on the map, tried to promote itself for the 2017 event. But the path of totality was miles wide and stretched across the nation.  There was no discernible influx of people in the region.  I suspect this one will be similar. 

I was thinking of going to Pittsburgh. That way I could drive to Ohio or northern NY depending on which had better weather. And I’ve always wanted to see Falling Water. 

Still… TX is probably a safer bet, although it’s not a place I particularly enjoy visiting. 

It's hard to tell from that map, but Pittsburgh may be outside the path, and Falling Water definitely is--it's practically at the Maryland border. If you do go to see the house, be aware that it is only open for a few hours in midday, and there are preservation activities going on this winter which affect the views of the exterior.

Eclipsophile has complete information about all aspects of this eclipse, specifically including weather information for locations along the path of totality.  I can tell you from experience that weather is the most important variable in choosing a viewing site.   Here is another site with nice animations (although I couldn't find weather information there).