Philadelphia has it's first woman mayor, Chevelle Parker!

WilliamM

4 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Chevelle Parker

Damn!  I was all set to make a few jokes about her being named after a nondescript Chevrolet model from the 1960s & 70s, and it turns out her name is Cherelle.

At least I can joke about her being raised by a famous American poet, writer, critic, wit, and satirist:

Cherelle was born to a single teenage mom and raised by her grandparents James and Dorothy Parker. 

c68530a75ffdd0a9322543f105433ccd.jpg

wallpaper_wednesday_1969_chevelle_ss.jpg

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Damn!  I was all set to make a few jokes about her being named after a nondescript Chevrolet model from the 1960s & 70s, and it turns out her name is Cherelle.

At least I can joke about her being raised by a famous American poet, writer, critic, wit, and satirist:

Cherelle was born to a single teenage mom and raised by her grandparents James and Dorothy Parker. 

Her grandparents are still alive.

I don't remember the car we had, I think it was a Mercury.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

Something is screwy here. The Dorothy Parker referenced here is not the same Dorothy Parker who was a famous American writer.

55 minutes ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

What is so "great" about electing a Mayor that has breasts and a vagina? Is that considered an accomplishment?

BTC

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952p0at08aey8h71getlhd

now answering your question:

CAWP.RUTGERS.EDU

As of September 2023, per CAWP research and population data from the U.S. Census, of the 1,616 mayors and officials who perform mayoral functions of U.S. cities...

At least having a Catholic president nowadays is not considered groundbreaking... 

2 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Something is screwy here. The Dorothy Parker referenced here is not the same Dorothy Parker who was a famous American writer.

Including Dorothy Parker made  no sense at all  no relationship to the new mayor  of Philadelphia 

2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

We all know why a woman leading large historical city matters. Hopefully one day more openly gay men and women will run for office too! 

"We all know..."? 

What Bozo knows, like most rational people, is that I want the BEST QUALIFIED person running my city. I don't care if they have a vagina or a penis. 
There is nothing great about electing someone simply by virtue of some predetermined physical characteristic that has nothing to do with his/her ability to govern.

BTC

17 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

"We all know..."? 

What Bozo knows, like most rational people, is that I want the BEST QUALIFIED person running my city. I don't care if they have a vagina or a penis. 
There is nothing great about electing someone simply by virtue of some predetermined physical characteristic that has nothing to do with his/her ability to govern.

BTC

I remember my parents saying there was no chance for a Catholic to win the presidency. 

I hope one we have a Jewish president! Would I vote for someone solely based on him or her being Jewish, of course not.

Edited by marylander1940

2 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

"We all know..."? 

BTC

For years Margaret Chase Chase Smith was the only woman in the Senate. She was also the first senator to denounce  McCarthy.  She  was from Maine and a Republican 

Hey good for her

BTC

5 hours ago, Charlie said:

Although I was longtime Philadelphian (38 years),  I have never kept up with Philadelphia politics in the 20 years since I left, so I was totally unaware of this woman. Obviously I need to do some research..

Trust me, many Philadelphians who live in the city for as long as you have been away from it (like me) didn't know her either.

What I think is that pretty much anyone is better than the clown that just left. Nothing wows me in this city at all. I guess it's good to have a person who looks more like the people in the city.

Didn't know anything about her, so time will tell.

4 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

"We all know..."? 

BTC

The diversity worshippers got all vehrklempt when Lori Lightfoot was the first black & openly gay woman to become mayor of a major US city.  Four years and innumerable failures later when she placed a miserable 3rd & lost reelection, nobody gave a sh*t that she was a black lesbian.  All they cared was that she sucked.

Cherelle Parker should come out as left-handed and convert to Islam to make all the DEIers cum without touching themselves.

28 minutes ago, BSR said:

The diversity worshippers got all vehrklempt when Lori Lightfoot was the first black & openly gay woman to become mayor of a major US city.  Four years and innumerable failures later when she placed a miserable 3rd & lost reelection, nobody gave a sh*t that she was a black lesbian.  All they cared was that she sucked.

Cherelle Parker should come out as left-handed and convert to Islam to make all the DEIers cum without touching themselves.

She can also put on 50 lbs., become disabled and confess she's a lesbian so we can please other discriminated groups, right? 

Why this thread has triggered so much vulgarity, what's so upsetting about another black female mayor? 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, BSR said:

Mayor Parker has long record of  public service in Philadelphia and Harrisburg 

Glad I  voted 😀  for her 

Edited by WilliamM

19 hours ago, Rockey said:

After 18 years in center city, I moved away in 2022. I never heard of Cherelle Parker, but I wish her well. Hopefully she can bring some good changes to this very sad city. 

Did you like former  mayor Ed Rendel? Or former mayor  John Street?

There were problems in Philadelphia then  - most large cities have problems 

I think Rendell and Street were both good mayors. Rendell revitalized center city and Street tried to revitalize the poorer neighborhoods. I’m hoping that mayor Parker will be better than either of those gentlemen. 
I agree that all cities have problems, but I only lived in Philly and its burbs, and am now living much farther away.

On 1/2/2024 at 10:27 PM, BSR said:

Parker and Lightfoot are different people

As different as Jackie Robinson  Martin Luther King or Magic Johnson or Nat King Cole