Mayim Bialik says she's been fired from 'Jeopardy'

Ali Gator

The rotating host, who started in the Spring of 2022 with Ken Jennings, announced on her social media Friday night: 

“As the holiday break begins in Hollywood, I have some Jeopardy! news. Sony has informed me that I will no longer be hosting the syndicated version of Jeopardy! I am incredibly honored to have been nominated for a primetime Emmy for hosting this year and I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of the Jeopardy! family. For all of you who have supported me through this incredible journey and to the fans, contestants, writers, staff and crew of America’s Favorite Quiz Show, thank you.”

A few hours later, Sony explained their decision to drop her:

“We made the decision to have one host for the syndicated show next season to maintain continuity for our viewers, and Ken Jennings will be the sole host for syndicated Jeopardy!. We are truly grateful for all of Mayim’s contributions to Jeopardy!, and we hope to continue to work with her on primetime specials.”

I liked them both, but Jennings seemed to have a more natural charm about him in this role as host. 

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

I had never heard of her until she was fired.

She's been an actress for a very long time. Her 'claim to fame' was back in 1988 when she played the 'young Bette Midler' in the movie 'Beaches'. She got a new following of fans when she co-starred in the CBS sitcom 'Big Bang Theory' (2010-19).

5 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

That statement from Sony is very confusing. So is she still hosting the primetime specials or not? Very weird. She wasn't on remember because of the Hollywood strikes.

Yes, she left in May when the writers' strike began. That's when Jennings took over as solo host full time.  She hasn't really been missed, since Jennings has done a fine enough job. 

As far as the primetime special - the statement seems rather vague. I guess they're trying to say she will return for them, but I think they will just drop her completely and she will be forgotten. 

1 minute ago, Ali Gator said:

As far as the primetime special - the statement seems rather vague. I guess they're trying to say she will return for them, but I think they will just drop her completely and she will be forgotten. 

I didn't notice until after I posted that she said the same as Sony that's she out as a syndicated host. We'll find out soon enough when the next primetime special is announced.

1 minute ago, BuffaloKyle said:

I didn't notice until after I posted that she said the same as Sony that's she out as a syndicated host. We'll find out soon enough when the next primetime special is announced.

I think the next primetime specials air in May (tape in April). The ones for the Fall are wrapping up now. It's been so confusing with the scheduling because of the strikes this summer. 

6 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

The rotating host, who started in the Spring of 2022 with Ken Jennings, announced on her social media Friday night: 

“As the holiday break begins in Hollywood, I have some Jeopardy! news. Sony has informed me that I will no longer be hosting the syndicated version of Jeopardy! I am incredibly honored to have been nominated for a primetime Emmy for hosting this year and I am deeply grateful for the opportunity to have been a part of the Jeopardy! family. For all of you who have supported me through this incredible journey and to the fans, contestants, writers, staff and crew of America’s Favorite Quiz Show, thank you.”

A few hours later, Sony explained their decision to drop her:

“We made the decision to have one host for the syndicated show next season to maintain continuity for our viewers, and Ken Jennings will be the sole host for syndicated Jeopardy!. We are truly grateful for all of Mayim’s contributions to Jeopardy!, and we hope to continue to work with her on primetime specials.”

I liked them both, but Jennings seemed to have a more natural charm about him in this role as host. 

Guarantee you she will be replaced by a MAN!

2 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

She's been an actress for a very long time. Her 'claim to fame' was back in 1988 when she played the 'young Bette Midler' in the movie 'Beaches'. She got a new following of fans when she co-starred in the CBS sitcom 'Big Bang Theory' (2010-19).

Her main claim to fame before the Big Bang Theory which she was on for 9 years was her starring role as Blossom in the same named comedy series from about 30 years ago in the early 1990s.    She also has an advanced degree I believe in Neuroscience much like her BBT character.  

4 hours ago, purplekow said:

She also has an advanced degree I believe in Neuroscience much like her BBT character.  

32 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

She had the same "I'm smarter than you" quirk that Trebek had. 

She IS smarter than most of the contestants and viewers.

2 hours ago, TonyDown said:

I will miss her.  She is awesome.

She's a member of your fan club as well.

14 hours ago, JEC said:

I hope she's replaced by someone who is a little more competent in the role, male or female. I'm going to miss her giving a clue from a French category pronounced in her best high school French. 

15 hours ago, JEC said:

16 minutes ago, Ali Gator said:

I hope she's replaced by someone who is a little more competent in the role, male or female. I'm going to miss her giving a clue from a French category pronounced in her best high school French. 

She is NOT being replaced. Ken Jennings will be doing the job of hosting the syndicated show full-time.

BTC

On 12/16/2023 at 11:50 PM, viewing ownly said:

She had the same "I'm smarter than you" quirk that Trebek had. I thought she was best known for starring in her own sitcom, "Blossom". I did read she's still able to host special versions of the show, just not the normal ones, so I'd hardly call that being fired.

I first remembered her From blossom with Joey Lawrence.   She left to go to college and is a real life genius with a PhD    

I don't watch Jeopardy!, but have heard of all the fussing since Alex died......seeing this thread, I youtubed a clip of her in action as host to see what she is/was like.......gotta say I liked her style and presentation.....a friendly, down-to-Earth speaking tone (not gameshow-style) and very careful pronunciation and articulation

Edited by azdr0710

• 2 weeks later...