Ryan O' Neal Dies

Luv2play

I am not a big fan of Hollywood movies and stopped watching them decades ago. But in 1970 I did go to movies and of course went to the film Love Story and bought the book as well. The movie was pretty faithful to the book and depicted the lead character, a rich Boston blueblood, perfectly with the young relatively unknown actor Ryan O'Neal, who had previously acted in a soap opera on TV.

As a young man just starting to grapple with my sexual identity, I was intensely attracted to the character of a handsome jock hockey player at Harvard. I personally knew a couple from my prep school in Montreal who had gone to play at Harvard. While it was his stage wife, Ali McGraw, who died in the film, I wept for the young hero who suffered such a loss.

I know, maybe corny, but those were real tears.

May he RIP.

1 minute ago, MscleLovr said:

Just to add to your correction: the mother was the actress Farrah Fawcett (and not a lady plumber) 😎

God dammit, I knew I shouldn’t have trusted @WilliamM’s spelling. 
Even as I typed it I thought, "that's funny, I never knew she spelled that way", but it still didn’t save me!
Thanks for the correction.

Back to the topic at hand, I always thought Ryan O’Neal was a dirt bag. 
His behavior at Farah’s funeral just reinforced my belief….

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ryan-oneal-i-hit-on-my-da_n_249668

36 minutes ago, nycman said:

God dammit, I knew I shouldn’t have trusted @WilliamM’s spelling. 
Even as I typed it I thought, "that's funny, I never knew she spelled that way", but it still didn’t save me!
Thanks for the correction.

Back to the topic at hand, I always thought Ryan O’Neal was a dirt bag. 
His behavior at Farah’s funeral just reinforced my belief….

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ryan-oneal-i-hit-on-my-da_n_249668

Just to continue the correction game, it is Farrah Fawcett(-Majors) though she was demoted from majors to privates eventually and not Farah, the men's clothing sales company.  Peyton Place in which Ryan started was not just a soap opera, it was a phenomenal piece of trash television and I believe it was the first prime time soap opera.  It was popular enough at the time for it to be broadcast two times a week for a portion if its run. It was considered quite daring and sexual without being actually dirty.   Mr. O'Neal was quite the striking young man and he was the main draw, with Mia Farrow, at least at the beginning of the show.  It was popular enough to inspire a line in this 1960's hit:

Which was eventually was the inspiration for a made for TV movie starring Barbara Eden.  Ms. Eden played Jeannie (not the Jeannie C Riley who sang the hit version of this song)on I Dream of Jeannie.  Her co-star in that series was Larry Hagman who went on to play JR Ewing on the big hit prime time soap Dallas.  

Edited by purplekow

Loved him and Streisand in 'What's Up, Doc ?' but hated the movie 'The Main Event'.  Apparently, Streisand didn't go into detail about their romance in the 70s in her new memoir (I haven't gotten that far yet).  She released a statement last night that said he was 'fun to work with', but didn't refer to him as one of her past loves. 

18 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

Loved him and Streisand in 'What's Up, Doc ?' but hated the movie 'The Main Event'.  Apparently, Streisand didn't go into detail about their romance in the 70s in her new memoir (I haven't gotten that far yet).  She released a statement last night that said he was 'fun to work with', but didn't refer to him as one of her past loves. 

So it was just a "working" relationship," like Tatum and Johnny Mac

Actually to hear that Ryan was “fun to work with” is high praise coming from a fellow actor in a place like Hollywood. One hears and reads of miserable people in the movie business who presented a different face to the public because of the relentless PR that stifles any inkling of what monsters they really were.

This is not just something that came about in the “me-too” movement of the last decade. If you read biographies and histories related to Hollywood back through the last 100 years it hasn’t changed much. There were the good guys (and gals) and the bad ones.

7 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Actually to hear that Ryan was “fun to work with” is high praise coming from a fellow actor in a place like Hollywood. One hears and reads of miserable people in the movie business who presented a different face to the public because of the relentless PR that stifles any inkling of what monsters they really were.

This is not just something that came about in the “me-too” movement of the last decade. If you read biographies and histories related to Hollywood back through the last 100 years it hasn’t changed much. There were the good guys (and gals) and the bad ones.

Now that he's dead, let's see what she has to say about him when the paperback version comes out next year. One thing I noticed in her book: she seems to rip apart the defenseless, dearly departed.