English accents…

Tygerscent

this stuff fascinates me....thanks @Tygerscent

slightly off topic:  I once was in a major South American city's airport and a local tourist rep was surveying international passengers about their local experiences, etc.......he spoke fine English and asked me questions about my home country, America......I said I was from the US, not "America", and he thanked me for making that distinction!.......I've always been a bit embarrassed about how the US came to be called America, much to the obvious exclusion of the rest of the Americas......(of course, saying one is American is easier than saying one is United Statesian, but that's further off-topic!)  

Edited by azdr0710

The border guards at the US/Canada crossing at Windsor/Detroit used to hassle people when they answered the "citizenship" question with "American" rather than "United States"; "Do you mean North or South America?" I was tempted to answer "Those are geographical entities, not political. I'm a citizen of the United States of America, the only country with America in its official name. United States is ambiguous since Mexico's official name is United Mexican States". 

Of course I never DID answer that since I was not looking to be detained. 

6 minutes ago, poolboy48220 said:

The border guards at the US/Canada crossing at Windsor/Detroit used to hassle people when they answered the "citizenship" question with "American" rather than "United States"; "Do you mean North or South America?" I was tempted to answer "Those are geographical entities, not political. I'm a citizen of the United States of America, the only country with America in its official name. United States is ambiguous since Mexico's official name is United Mexican States". 

Then I wonder if those from the Central African Republic can call themselves 'African' and not be questioned on it... hmmmm 🤷‍♂️

On 12/4/2023 at 6:16 AM, BobPS said:

Thanks for posting. I’m going to watch all of them when I have more time.

Fascinating to listen I the subtle changes in language… the changes are subtle but over all, in side by side compassion, show the progression and changes~ sometimes The changes are in where the accent is or if a group of people aspirate at the end of the word of certain vowels~ The omission or rolling of the letter “r”~ Replacing the “sh”/th/fth/sch/tz/chsh/jdh sound with a hard “S”~
  modern English and come other modern languages seem to favor harder consonants in the spoken language~ 
 What started me thinking about all of this was that while watching interviews and movies, I noticed a stronger presence in the letter S in modern American language~  I was watching The Most Popular Girls in High School series and that’s were I really noticed it… then heard it in the california dialect~  Cinema and social media play such an important part in the way language is used and spoken… if you listen to films or radio from the 30’s and 40’s you can hear the difference in the language compared to modern present day American language. 
It’s changing rather quickly it seems~  American English also uses the letter C as an S: Center, Civil, central, concept, accent, notice, service, concentration, sentence, etc~ (there’s irony in “etc”~). 
 Then, I began to consider how bird and animal languages also change over time… ever evolving and not static… creating new consonants and new, sounds… Deleting old ones… Creating new combinations… Amazing how the brain processes sound and uses it~   
  The brain organizing vibrations in such a way as to convey a concept or emotion or need… interpreting and reimagining, teaching and relearning between individuals and over time…  Can plants communicate by changing their shape when dry or diseased as they shake in the wind or when the temperatures change and they cease to produce chlorophyll~? Do red leaves sound different than green between plant peers~? Do whales sound differently now than they did 200 years ago now that their vocabulary includes ships and water traffic, underwater noise and material pollution and traffic~? 
 Is music just an enjoyable tune or is there the matrix of our very beings there at an atomic particle level~? 500 years from now… what languages will still survive and what will they sound like~? Can species begin to understand each other as their own separate languages melt together to become more mutual~? (Think about how domestic pets like cats, dogs, talking birds begin to share sounds and vocabulary even when not at a specifically spoken level~).  
 I begin thinking about how music progressed and evolves~ It is a language in its own right~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

The letter 〈s〉 is the seventh most common letter in English and the third-most common consonant after 〈t〉 and 〈n〉.[7] It is the most common letter for the first letter of a word in the English language.[8][9]

In English and several other languages, primarily Western Romance ones like Spanish and French, final 〈s〉 is the usual mark of plural nouns. It is the regular ending of English third person present tenseverbs.

〈s〉 represents the voiceless alveolar or voiceless dental sibilant /s/ in most languages as well as in the International Phonetic Alphabet. It also commonly represents the voiced alveolar or voiced dental sibilant /z/, as in Portuguese mesa (table) or English 'rose' and 'bands', or it may represent the voiceless palato-alveolar fricative [ʃ], as in most Portuguese dialects when syllable-finally, in Hungarian, in German (before 〈p〉, 〈t〉) and some English words as 'sugar', since yod-coalescence became a dominant feature, and [ʒ], as in English 'measure' (also because of yod-coalescence), European PortugueseIslão (Islam) or, in many sociolects of Brazilian Portuguese, esdrúxulo (proparoxytone) in some Andalusian dialects, it merged with Peninsular Spanish 〈c〉 and 〈z〉 and is now pronounced [θ]. In some English words of French origin, the letter 〈s〉 is silent, as in 'isle' or 'debris'. In Turkmen, 〈s〉represents [θ].

The 〈sh〉 digraph for English  /ʃ/ arises in Middle English (alongside 〈sch〉), replacing the Old English 〈sc〉 digraph. Similarly, Old High German 〈sc〉 was replaced by 〈sch〉 in Early Modern High German orthography.

On 12/5/2023 at 6:15 AM, poolboy48220 said:

Well, America is literally a continent comprised of a northern land mass, central land mass and a southern land mass~ The northern land Mass includes what is known as Canada~ So, being an “American” doesn’t really designate which country, province, nation one belongs to~   
 One can be a Canadian Norther American: (I’m just making that term up since Canada and what’s below it is divided by an imaginary line), a Middle North American, a less Central American or a South American~  
 So, it’s not very accurate to describe oneself as an “American” if they are really citizens of the United States~ It does sound silly to refer to oneself as a United Statian or a statonian~ Statonian Citizens aren’t colonists anymore either~  I refer to myself as an orphan… or more formally: an Orphanian~ A Middle North Orphanian~ 
 One could blame Israel Beilin, (Irving Baline/Berlin), (I say in jest really), as he may have contributed to the confusion with the Song he rebooted from a show he wrote towards the end of WW1 called Yip Yip Yaphank~ God Bless America was originally a song written for that musical~ The poster for it is awesome: “I can always find a little sunshine in the YMCA”~ So much love that~ 🫶🥰

IMG_5490.jpeg

Edited by Tygerscent

4 hours ago, Tygerscent said:

The letter 〈s〉 is the seventh most common letter in English and the third-most common consonant after 〈t〉 and 〈n〉.[7] It is the most common letter for the first letter of a word in the English language.[8][9]

In English and several other languages, primarily Western Romance ones like Spanish and French, final 〈s〉 is the usual mark of plural nouns. It is the regular ending of English third person present tenseverbs.

〈s〉 represents the voiceless alveolar or voiceless dental sibilant /s/ in most languages as well as in the International Phonetic Alphabet. It also commonly represents the voiced alveolar or voiced dental sibilant /z/, as in Portuguese mesa (table) or English 'rose' and 'bands', or it may represent the voiceless palato-alveolar fricative [ʃ], as in most Portuguese dialects when syllable-finally, in Hungarian, in German (before 〈p〉, 〈t〉) and some English words as 'sugar', since yod-coalescence became a dominant feature, and [ʒ], as in English 'measure' (also because of yod-coalescence), European PortugueseIslão (Islam) or, in many sociolects of Brazilian Portuguese, esdrúxulo (proparoxytone) in some Andalusian dialects, it merged with Peninsular Spanish 〈c〉 and 〈z〉 and is now pronounced [θ]. In some English words of French origin, the letter 〈s〉 is silent, as in 'isle' or 'debris'. In Turkmen, 〈s〉represents [θ].

The 〈sh〉 digraph for English  /ʃ/ arises in Middle English (alongside 〈sch〉), replacing the Old English 〈sc〉 digraph. Similarly, Old High German 〈sc〉 was replaced by 〈sch〉 in Early Modern High German orthography.

Do I sense another onetime linguistics student here? (I get palpitations  when I hear someone talk about a voiceless dental sibilant!)

15 hours ago, Charlie said:

Do I sense another onetime linguistics student here? (I get palpitations  when I hear someone talk about a voiceless dental sibilant!)

Endlessly fascinating to me… like vision, hearing, touch, smell, taste, emotion: language is a sense~ It’s organ is the brain~ 

On 12/7/2023 at 4:39 AM, Tygerscent said:

It’s changing rather quickly it seems~  American English also uses the letter C as an S: Center, Civil, central, concept, accent, notice, service, concentration, sentence, etc~ (there’s irony in “etc”~).

Are there any varieties of English in which a letter C isn't pronounced as an S in the words you listed? 

Why only "American" English?

2 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

Are there any varieties of English in which a letter C isn't pronounced as an S in the words you listed? 

Why only "American" English?

Borrowed words: ie. Cello~ Precious… (more of an “sh”)~ Ocean… acacia, appreciate, artificial, atrocious, audacious, auspicious, avaricious, beneficial, bodacious, capacious, capricious, cetacean, contumacious, Cretaceous, crustacean, cumacean, , curvaceous, delicious, echinacea, edacious, efficacious, facial, fallacious, ferocious, glacial, glacier, gracious, indicia, judicial, judicious, loquacious, lubricious, malicious, mendacious, official, officiant, officious, pernicious, perspicacious, pertinacious, precious, precocious, predacious, prejudicial, pugnacious, racial, rapacious, rosacea, sacrificial, sagacious, salacious, spacious, specious, subocean, suspicious, tenacious, vicious, vivacious, voracious, Cretaceous (if that counts as a word),cetaceancurvaceous herbaceous…    
 If your from the states and try to pronounce Worcestershire, Leicester…  
 instances where Middle English borrowed from old French and where various forms of English borrowed from Latin~ 

14 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

Borrowed words: ie. Cello~ Precious… (more of an “sh”)~ Ocean… acacia, appreciate, artificial, atrocious, audacious, auspicious, avaricious, beneficial, bodacious, capacious, capricious, cetacean, contumacious, Cretaceous, crustacean, cumacean, , curvaceous, delicious, echinacea, edacious, efficacious, facial, fallacious, ferocious, glacial, glacier, gracious, indicia, judicial, judicious, loquacious, lubricious, malicious, mendacious, official, officiant, officious, pernicious, perspicacious, pertinacious, precious, precocious, predacious, prejudicial, pugnacious, racial, rapacious, rosacea, sacrificial, sagacious, salacious, spacious, specious, subocean, suspicious, tenacious, vicious, vivacious, voracious, Cretaceous (if that counts as a word),cetaceancurvaceous herbaceous…    
 If your from the states and try to pronounce Worcestershire, Leicester…  
 instances where Middle English borrowed from old French and where various forms of English borrowed from Latin~ 

But I was asking why you chose to say only "American" English in your original sentence below.

Don't all varieties of English do the same thing in pronouncing -C- as _S_ in those specific words you mentioned?

Your original sentence: American English also uses the letter C as an S: Center, Civil, central, concept, accent, notice, service, concentration, sentence, etc