English accents…

Tygerscent

If I ever have a good fortune to meet @Jamie21 I'm going to ask him to leave the outgoing voice message on my phone :) pre Covid I was visiting and seeing people in London 1-2 times a year.... it was like NYC.... Busy busy busy 🙌🏽 

*siri on my phone speaks to me in a British accent 👌🏽

6 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

If I ever have a good fortune to meet @Jamie21 I'm going to ask him to leave the outgoing voice message on my phone :) pre Covid I was visiting and seeing people in London 1-2 times a year.... it was like NYC.... Busy busy busy 🙌🏽 

*siri on my phone speaks to me in a British accent 👌🏽

I hope I have the pleasure of meeting you @Vin_Marco… (spoken in a cut glass English accent 😉). 

41 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

But I was asking why you chose to say only "American" English in your original sentence below.

Don't all varieties of English do the same thing in pronouncing -C- as _S_ in those specific words you mentioned?

Your original sentence: American English also uses the letter C as an S: Center, Civil, central, concept, accent, notice, service, concentration, sentence, etc

Well, gosh Marc, while I did say “American English”, (collectively north, central and south), I didn’t actually use the word “only”… 

3 minutes ago, Tygerscent said:

Well, gosh Marc, while I did say “American English”, (collectively north, central and south), I didn’t actually use the word “only”… 

It seems very odd not to say just "English," which has words with C pronounced as S in British, Canadian, Australian, Singaporean, and all other varieties -- including American. But you singled it out. 

3 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

*siri on my phone speaks to me in a British accent

Mine is an Aussie boy. Take me home, Siri, please take me home! And then let me go down under…

Aussie pronunciation doesn’t work as well in Southern California with all the Spanish place names and streets though. He’s funny when he says “La Jolla” with a hard J. He says “Escondido” really fast and it sounds like: Escon-DILDO. 🤔 💭 🍆 

If the British did a little housekeeping putting back all the “R”s where they belong, that would be great. I’ll just wait here patiently until they do, thanks. Pronouncing “R” the end of words with vowels drives me crazy. Then they omit the “R” where on paper an “R” actually ends the word. 🤦‍♂️ 

I do enjoy a northerner British accent. @Jamie21 What’s the accent in Wallace and Gromit? Nevermind, looked it up, it’s West Yorkshire. I was right! I like that too. I worked with a guy from Huddersfield, which I believe is in Yorkshire. Very pronounced consonants at the end of his words, especially when the word falls at the end of a sentence, as if the word is a some declaration with a big, fat period.

Scottish accents are so funny. Love those too. Irish accents make my heart melt.

Is it just me or is a South African accent easy to mistake with a Kiwi accent at a quick listen? Those New Zealanders have a funny way with their vowels too, love it.

Sing a song in any regional accented English and it sounds American! Take Adele for, example.

5 minutes ago, Simon Suraci said:

Mine is an Aussie boy.

I do enjoy a northerner British accent. @Jamie21 What’s the accent in Wallace and Gromit? Nevermind, looked it up, it’s West Yorkshire. I was right! I like that too. I worked with a guy from Huddersfield, which I believe is in Yorkshire. Very pronounced consonants at the end of his words, especially when the word falls at the end of a sentence, as if the word is a some declaration with a big, fat period.

Scottish accents are so funny. Love those too. Irish accents make my heart melt.

Is it just me or is a South African accent easy to mistake with a Kiwi accent at a quick listen? Those New Zealanders have a funny way with their vowels too, love it.

Sing a song in any regional accented English and it sounds American! Take Adele for, example.

I agree with your tastes for the most part! Aussie is SO sexy. From the UK the Essex accent does it for me. And the South African Boer Afrikaner accented English makes me melt! The Kiwi to me sound more like Australian. The South African to me sounds very different and similar to Rhodesian. 

4 hours ago, Jamie21 said:

I hope I have the pleasure of meeting you @Vin_Marco… (spoken in a cut glass English accent 😉). 

I'm glad you said English rather than British, although it would arguably be both. RP may be a British accent but it is quintisentially English, even if not how most English people speak. I'm sure, however, that you speak frifully well.

6 hours ago, mike carey said:

I'm glad you said English rather than British, although it would arguably be both. RP may be a British accent but it is quintisentially English, even if not how most English people speak. I'm sure, however, that you speak frifully well.

Yes you’d never find someone from Scotland or Wales speaking with an RP accent unless it was taught to them. RP is not something you hear much these days. When Her Majesty was alive you’d hear it in her Christmas speech but that’s about it. The BBC used to require presenters use it but that’s long gawn 😂.

My accent is a London accent. There’s lots of different London accents. Indeed you can go a few miles down the road in some places in the UK and the accent will be different. British people can tell where you’re from quite accurately by the local accent ….but more importantly it’s also a sign of class: very important to know what class the person you’re speaking to is so you can offer tea in the correct way. 

8 hours ago, Simon Suraci said:

Mine is an Aussie boy. Take me home, Siri, please take me home! And then let me go down under…

Aussie pronunciation doesn’t work as well in Southern California with all the Spanish place names and streets though. He’s funny when he says “La Jolla” with a hard J. He says “Escondido” really fast and it sounds like: Escon-DILDO. 🤔 💭 🍆 

If the British did a little housekeeping putting back all the “R”s where they belong, that would be great. I’ll just wait here patiently until they do, thanks. Pronouncing “R” the end of words with vowels drives me crazy. Then they omit the “R” where on paper an “R” actually ends the word. 🤦‍♂️ 

Mine is South Asian indian on my GPS… Sometimes the translation is so different, I have to guess~ I love it~ 

8 hours ago, Simon Suraci said:

Sing a song in any regional accented English and it sounds American! Take Adele 

I really enjoy the dialects between Stoke-internet and those north of Tunstall~ Small towns along the TMC, their humor is prime~  They laugh at my accent and we joke back and forth about it… Also… some big strapping lads up there… Wuff Wuff~ So hot~ 

Edited by Tygerscent

• 1 month later...

Most impressive is when this young woman on a talkshow speaks in her native British accent and then switches to cally from the Vally California accent~ The difference is astounding~ 

Edited by Tygerscent