Death of a Show Biz legend

samhexum

10 hours ago, samhexum said:

His name was Marty Kroftt.

But am I surprised you didn't mention that? No. 

For those interested in the complete story, here's the obituary of record:

WWW.NYTIMES.COM

With Sid Krofft, he produced children’s shows, like “H.R. Pufnstuf,” and prime time programs, including “Donny & Marie.”

Edited by Marc in Calif

For those who attended the ‘65 NY World’s Fair, the first big creation of the Kroffts was on display - “Les Poupees de Paris” with the same kind of detailed marionette work that had captured audiences by Bill Baird in The Sound of Music. I never cared as much for the later Saturday Morning creations as I did that original glitzy puppet spectacle.

Les Poupees de Paris

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2023 at 9:57 PM, Marc in Calif said:

His name was Marty Kroftt. 

WRONG.
His name was Marty Krofft

TV Land had an amazing tribute (if you can get by the initial 3-minute promo for the Land of the Lost movie) to the Krofft Brothers, bringing back all of the great characters:

A GREAT cast of the Krofft characters and Hollywood celebs paying tribute to the Sid and Marty including: Neil Patrick Harris, Will Ferrell, Cyndi Lauper, Clint Black, and Barry Williams (Greg Brady).

Sid and Marty Krofft were true geniuses. Bozo's top three favourite Krofft programs were probably: HR Pufnstuf, D.C, Follies, and Lidsville - starring the uber-campy Charles Nelson Reilly;
But even geniuses have failures. The three klunkers that stand out in Bozo's mind were Pink Lady and Jeff (lasted 3 episodes?), the Land of the Lost MOVIE (just awful), and the Brady Bunch Variety Hour.

Bozo still has photos of himself as a young clown with his parents and sisters visiting the World of Sid and Marty Krofft - an indoor Krofft-themed amusement park in downtown Atlanta based on the Krofft Saturday morning TV shows and characters. It was really a lot of fun, and I will have memories that last a lifetime. Sadly, it closed only a few months after it opened.  It was a great idea, but an awful location. Building an amusement park in a drug-infested, high-crime downtown area alongside low income housing projects? An incredibly moronic idea.

BTC

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

On 11/27/2023 at 2:19 PM, jeezifonly said:

For those who attended the ‘65 NY World’s Fair, the first big creation of the Kroffts was on display - “Les Poupees de Paris” with the same kind of detailed marionette work that had captured audiences by Bill Baird in The Sound of Music. I never cared as much for the later Saturday Morning creations as I did that original glitzy puppet spectacle.

Les Poupees de Paris

Only in the film version of Sound of Music,   not the  Broadway show which I saw in 1960

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The acting legends are dying right & left these days.  Glynis Johns yesterday, David Soul today.

They just don't make stars like that anymore.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

2 hours ago, samhexum said:

The acting legends are dying right & left these days.  Glynis Johns yesterday, David Soul today.

Huh? John's died at age100. 

She sang "Send in the  Clowns"  even though she wasn't much of a singer

57 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Huh? John's died at age100. 

She sang "Send in the  Clowns"  even though she wasn't much of a singer

She was nominated for a best supporting actress Oscar for "The Sundowners" a movie I've watched 2-3 times and alway enjoyed.

This preceeded "Mary Poppins" and is considered by some a breakout role/film for her.

She played the lead in Sondheim's

"A Little Night Music" as a Broadway Baby. When she sang Send in the Clowns

Years later, she played the lead 's mother in "A Little Night Music

Originally played by Hermione Gingold

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/27/2023 at 12:19 PM, jeezifonly said:

Les Poupees de Paris

had to look that up......fantastic talent........

On 1/5/2024 at 12:32 PM, samhexum said:

David Soul's former long-time girlfriend, whom he dated throughout Starsky & Hutch (and throughout his marriage) died the other day.  She'd been the one who had found (her neighbor) Rebecca Schaeffer after she was shot and called 911.  She had heard the sound of a gunshot.

On 12/17/2023 at 10:45 PM, jeezifonly said:

It was the thunderstorm song in the original, wasn’t it?

Maria and the Abbess sang Favorite Things 

The original   version on  Broadway in  1960 was very different than the film.  The songs were mostly the same ,   but the staging was  more intimate

Note the musical opened in November 1959