Shout out to millions of my cousins...

randeman

In case you hadn't heard, about 7,000 to 10,000 years ago, somewhere in northern Europe, an ancestor had a genetic anomaly that prevented his (or her) eyes from turning brown.  Fast forward quite a few centuries and we find that all of us blues are descended from a common ancestor.  So, hello to all my cousins near and far.  Your turn to do the family holidays this year, right? 😛

14 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

My eyes are green.

Where did they come from ?

Well...according to Wikipedia:

Green eyes probably result from the interaction of multiple variants within the OCA2 and other genes. They were present in south Siberia during the Bronze Age.[45]

Green eyes are most common in NorthernWestern and Central Europe.[46][47] Around 8–10% of men and 18–21% of women in Iceland and 6% of men and 17% of women in the Netherlands, have green eyes.[48] Among European Americans, green eyes are most common among those of recent Celtic and Germanic ancestry with about 16%.[48]

The green color is caused by the combination of: 1) an amber or light brown pigmentation in the stroma of the iris (which has a low or moderate concentration of melanin) with: 2) a blue shade created by the Rayleigh scattering of reflected light.[26] Green eyes contain the yellowish pigment lipochrome.[49]

Actually, according to the same article, the blue-eyed mutation came to Europe about 50,000 years ago, rather than 6,000 to 10,000.

•  
Edited by randeman
even more trivia

My entire family have blue eyes. I read that less than 5% to 7% of the world’s now 8 billion people have colored eyes, but that’s still between 400 and 560 million people. That number will only tend to diminish over time. Here’s the list of countries. 

On 11/22/2023 at 11:03 PM, pubic_assistance said:

I am curious if green eyes are the same direct malformation from brown or are green eyes a malformation of blue?  

Green-eyed people are obviously descendants of a couple, one of whom had blue eyes, and one who had jaundice.

image.png

Edited by samhexum
because he's bored as hell

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah... so what you're trying to tell us is that you are a rare gem.  Big surprise!

Where I grew up in Central PA this color is fairly common.

Never realized until I moved away from there that its actually pretty rare. Living in predominantly brown-eyed New York people comment all the time.