The Crown - Season 6

azdr0710

(earlier thread on this closed)

watched all four episodes of the new season last night - more episodes coming next month......

top quality (to me) production, cinematography, acting, the whole bit......I even got a bit misty at the end, no doubt due to this well-done work that pulled me in.....

very clever little details throughout....I liked the quick clip of that dial-up sound we all remember when a new royal website was being introduced during a family meeting about 1997........also, the scenes of an average Parisian out walking his dog as, seemingly, the only witness to the crash were thoughtful......lots of little details to notice

I am happy that they avoided the myth that Diana was an innocent victim. Her mental illness contributed to much of her unhappiness. Not to say the royal family are the easiest or that the marriage was the best. But she was far from innocent. I also like that they are portraying William as being conscious of her troubles while Harry is oblivious. As adults, the two have different memories of the same events. Leading to much tension between them and their wives.

12 hours ago, Bokomaru said:

I haven’t seen the new season. Why is that cringe?

I agree, the young actor is a handsome young fellow...but Americans find physical attraction to men under 20 to be cringey.

Most young men are sexually mature by 16, but Americans consistently consider anyone under 19 to 20 to be "children". So we are not to see them as sexually attractive.

Let's say the young  actor WILL make a handsome man SOME DAY. 😉

On 11/18/2023 at 3:58 PM, pubic_assistance said:

Her mental illness contributed to much of her unhappiness. Not to say the royal family are the easiest or that the marriage was the best.

It’s hard to say “mental illness” vs some other mild disorders affecting many people who lead normal lives with few problems.  In her case, it was anything but a normal existence.  So maybe relatively mild disorders were magnified by being in her situation.  There’s no doubt she was manipulated by almost everyone around her for their own agendas.  When the entire establishment was actively plotting against her, hacking her phones, spying on her personal life and trying to portray her as unstable/erratic/mentally unwell - then that has to have an effect at some point.  Did she learn how to play the game & retaliate ? - absolutely yes. 

All you need to know about the circumstances around her death was that Camilla could never be Queen if Diana was still alive. Never, ever.  Draw your own conclusions about what happened next.  

Is it a conspiracy theory to think she may have been intentionally murdered to eliminate her permanently as a threat to the Crown ?  Yes, because there’s no proof it happened.  Did the establishment remove Harry & Meghan’s security when they were most vulnerable and they knew there were credible threats on their lives ?  Yes, they absolutely did that and it’s never been in dispute.  They are capable of anything to preserve their position, privilege and the Crown - permanent elimination of enemies of the Crown has always been an option for them.  Naive to think it can’t happen in modern times. 

The ghosts in this season aren’t necessary and detracts for the rest of it. 

Edited by SouthOfTheBorder

I watched the first four episodes and wonder if I watched the same four episodes as everyone else ? I  had a very different take from this...

Dedicating all four episodes to the last few weeks of Diana's life being chased by paparazzi was excessive and unnecessary. The 'Ghost Diana' scenes were ghoulish - and if Morgan really felt he had to stoop to these hammy 'dead  conversations' - Ghost Diana never mentions her two sons ? Worse than 'Ghost Diana' was 'Ghost Dodi' talking to his daddy (and the demonizing of 'daddy' was really a bit too much).  More could have been said in two episodes, rather than stretch it over four. Of all four,  Episode 3 was a snoozefest - completely dull and lifeless. 

Aside from the intro of 'The Royal Website', there is no indication of a rapidly changing world engulfing them: not a single mention of British politics, of crises, of Hong Kong soon being returned to China. Queen Elizabeth 2 is not portrayed as the head of state of (especially in the late 1990s) a world super-power, but sadly is reduced to ice-cold Granny. Not a mention of Princes  Andrew and Edward ? Just a glimpse or two of Anne ? And when did the once-fascinating, opinionated  Margaret become such a church-mouse ? 

This series used to be interesting. It used to be about QE2, politics, a country in turmoil, etc. Now it's become little more than a daytime drama.  All the actors felt like 'extras' in the first four seasons (though Dominic West was the only strong character (kudos to the actor who was given so little to work with in these four episodes).  

Rufus Kampa - the 17 year old actor playing teen William - comes across more as a stone-cold serial killer. Let's hope Eddie McVey, who will be portraying him as a young adult, does a better job. McVey is quite the sexy guy.

Start the 'eyeroll' emoticons, on 3, 2, 1...

2 hours ago, Ali Gator said:

This series used to be interesting. It used to be about QE2, politics, a country in turmoil, etc. Now it's become little more than a daytime drama.  All the actors felt like 'extras' in the first four seasons (though Dominic West was the only strong character (kudos to the actor who was given so little to work with in these four episodes).  

It used to be more interesting because the monarchy was more interesting at those points in time.

You cannot simply rewrite history, so they're telling the story that modern-day folks know (or think they know).  It is what it is.

As the elder royals got older, they stepped back and commented infrequently, as is tradition.  The press moved heavily onto Diana, Charles and Camilla.

Speculation, innuendo, outuendo and outright insanity ensued.  Such was the British press throughout the '90s and early aughts.

17 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

It used to be more interesting because the monarchy was more interesting at those points in time.

You cannot simply rewrite history, so they're telling the story that modern-day folks know (or think they know).  It is what it is.

As the elder royals got older, they stepped back and commented infrequently, as is tradition.  The press moved heavily onto Diana, Charles and Camilla.

Speculation, innuendo, outuendo and outright insanity ensued.  Such was the British press throughout the '90s and early aughts.

I certainly can't disagree with you. Which makes me think - the series should have gracefully bowed out at the conclusion of Season 4.

Season 5 - and especially Season 6 - has Morgan just relying (a little too heavily) on the tabloid reports of what went on behind 'closed doors'. What started off as a compelling, high-brow drama has now become nothing more than one of the 'E! True Hollywood Stories' where there's just 'reenactments' of what 'possibly / maybe / could have went on'.  

We all know what went on with the Royals post-Diana's death. No one wants to see further reenactments (in the remaining episodes of the season) of Charles and Camilla marrying, the saga of Kate and William, and especially not Harry and Meghan. We have lived through all that. 

Edited by Ali Gator

On 11/18/2023 at 6:24 AM, poolboy48220 said:

I'm just barely into it but should finish it soon, before the next episodes drop.  I'm always curious about how historically accurate it is; I was surprised that Diana had only met Dodi Fayed a couple of months before they died, which appears to be accurate.

I view the entire series as historical fiction; the places and events are true, but much of the interpersonal interactions are merely supposition (no matter how well-researched and/or plausible). I don’t take any of it as truth, but certainly possible. Overall, I thought it was entertaining. 

I've noticed in Hollywood streamers , just as in film sequels, the last season is often trash. They've built viewership already and few devotees will turn off the last season, so it makes financial sense. I hated the last season of Succession too. Last seasons are almost always rubbish but we watch them anyway because we're hooked and the prior seasons were outstanding. I'd be surprised if they spent much time on this one. The director was certainly napping. And Max is making less financial sense rapidly. RIP HBO. You were glorious.

• 4 weeks later...

plowing thru the final six episodes of season 6 (E5-10) currently after their drop a couple days ago or so.....much is devoted to William and a bit to Harry as they grow up and navigate their relationship with Dad/press/school......Kate is introduced in E7 with some stuff about her mother's plans in all this (I don't know what's true and not).......there's a bit about Blair and the Queen working together....and other stuff in there.......

as with the entire series, great cinematography, sets, script, the whole bit........but this William/Kate stuff and all just seems too recent to me and a bit soap-opera-ish........I guess I liked the older history (however accurate or not it was) of the earlier episodes......

three more episodes to go tomorrow......still a fun trashy watch......

1 hour ago, azdr0710 said:

guess I liked the older history (however accurate or not it was) of the earlier episodes......

I have the same feeling - and it makes me question the entire series.  in the earlier seasons - it was easier to absorb the information as historically factual.  The final season is so recent and the people are known (or the public thinks they know them), I found myself being much more skeptical about how they tell the story & corresponding dialogues.  And it would be the exact same for earlier seasons.  They took some historical events with known personal relationships and fabricated an entire drama around it.  In some cases, there may be real letters referenced, speeches or something else that gives it some credibility.

It’s entertainment after all.  

Finished it. Last three episodes (8-10) seemed better, somehow, than 5-7. Flashbacks to Elizabeth and Margaret partying with the Americans (great jazz scene) at the end of WW2 were nice. Don't know if Harry being perennially grumpy is accurate or not. The use of ghosts offering advice is still effective. The final minutes, with music swelling and Elizabeth walking away, alone, will be emotional to many. 

Finally finished off Season 6. It was honestly like trying to plod through porridge - horribly slow and dull. It seemed like all of Season 6 was taken straight from The Daily Mail and the NY Post. 'Recent history' of the Royals was totally unnecessary. They should have ended with Season 5. 

On 11/19/2023 at 11:52 AM, Ali Gator said:

I watched the first four episodes and wonder if I watched the same four episodes as everyone else ? I  had a very different take from this...

Dedicating all four episodes to the last few weeks of Diana's life being chased by paparazzi was excessive and unnecessary. The 'Ghost Diana' scenes were ghoulish - and if Morgan really felt he had to stoop to these hammy 'dead  conversations' - Ghost Diana never mentions her two sons ? Worse than 'Ghost Diana' was 'Ghost Dodi' talking to his daddy (and the demonizing of 'daddy' was really a bit too much).  More could have been said in two episodes, rather than stretch it over four. Of all four,  Episode 3 was a snoozefest - completely dull and lifeless. 

Aside from the intro of 'The Royal Website', there is no indication of a rapidly changing world engulfing them: not a single mention of British politics, of crises, of Hong Kong soon being returned to China. Queen Elizabeth 2 is not portrayed as the head of state of (especially in the late 1990s) a world super-power, but sadly is reduced to ice-cold Granny. Not a mention of Princes  Andrew and Edward ? Just a glimpse or two of Anne ? And when did the once-fascinating, opinionated  Margaret become such a church-mouse ? 

Rufus Kampa - the 17 year old actor playing teen William - comes across more as a stone-cold serial killer. Let's hope Eddie McVey, who will be portraying him as a young adult, does a better job. McVey is quite the sexy guy.

Start the 'eyeroll' emoticons, on 3, 2, 1...

This was my take too. The Diana episodes were so painstakingly slow/boring. They should’ve ended Season 5 with her death. I don’t understand why they dragged into this season. I feel like Morgan didn’t want to make this a redux of The Queen (2006) and get panned for it but the execution of this was arguably worse. They should’ve kept the Diana episodes to two, the William episode to 1 and spent more time on the Queen for Part 2. The whole thing felt very rushed and haphazard.

What was so notable about the sixth season was there was not a mention of Prince Andrew / Epstein (and his scandals in the early 2000s which led up to the past few years),  Fergie, or Prince Edward and his family.  They treated the series as though the Queen had only two children (Anne and Charles) and two grandchildren (William and Harry). WTF ?