Apple car (Icar) any takers? Self-driving electric car!

marylander1940

8 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

I will never set foot in a "self-driving-automobile".

They haven't yet produced one electronic item that doesn't malfunction regularly and needs to he rebooted. I'm not going to be the fool who's in the car when it's glitching and runs through a traffic light.

An electric traffic light lol 😂  🚦 it will probably be a bit before the battery 🪫 situation gets sorted, the infrastructure to have access to charging and last but not least the self driving... I agree that for the time being, it's a bit dodgy but progress no one will stop. Like it or not it's gonna be the way of the future. I'm not quite fully in yet for 💯 electric cars much less one that drives itself 🙄

24 minutes ago, Vin_Marco said:

I'm not quite fully in yet for 💯 electric cars much less one that drives itself 🙄

Two separate issues.

I would point out that the first cars by Daimler-Benz (forerunner to Mercedes-Benz, were electric). So they've had this technology for over 100 years.

Self-driving is currently a (stupid) novelty and the number of people injured due to computer glitches is not small considering the very tiny number of these vehicles on the road.

I’d say the problem is mixing human drivers with computer drivers. Once every car is driven by a computer then I’ll be ok they’re safer than the current arrangement. Until then I’ll worry about how the interaction is managed. I expect that road traffic accidents will reduce once humans are no longer driving. Computers don’t do drink, drugs, road rage, fall asleep at the wheel, speed, lose concentration etc…

Not long ago I had a somewhat humorous dream involving a self-driving car.

I had entered my destination into the computer, gathered a pillow, a blanket, tuned the radio to easy listening and dozed off to sleep.  Upon awakening I realized I was nearing my destination and thought it a good idea to refuel the car.

While I was replacing the gasoline hose nozzle into its holder the car departed leaving me staring at its disappearing taillights. 

Fortunately, I was able to get a car service from the gas station to the hotel.  Upon arriving at the hotel I was greeted by the sight of the self-driving car resting comfortably in one of the hotel's guest parking spaces.  I then awoke from my dream with a chuckle. 

The lesson I took from the dream is to always be sure to take my wallet with me when leaving the car.  😄