* C H I C A G O *

* C H I C A G O * 

I'm interested in hearing about people's experience with the Windy City .... I have quite an interesting take  and experience with  the city that has been fighting with Houston Texas as the nations 3rd largest city.

IMG_2464.jpeg

That city has some of the best modern architecture on the planet, as well as wonderful museums. You can also take the L to Oak Park to view some handsome Frank Lloyd Wright homes. Many enjoyable sights in Chicago, such as taking cruises on the Chicago River and the along the lake, the Riverwalk, and Buckingham Fountain, are not available in the cooler and colder months, so I think one misses out if going there during those times. This city probably boasts the best Russian restaurant in the world, Russian Tea Time, which is but 50 meters from the main entrance of the Art Institute, so we'll always have lunch there. Even if you're not a big fan of Russian cuisine, this should not be missed. 

Russian Tea Time | Enjoy Illinois

Russian Tea Time is one of the best restaurants in Chicago

Buckingham Fountain in Chicago - Grant Park's Watery Artwork – Go Guides

City of Chicago :: Chicago Riverwalk 2022 Summer Season Announced

Chicago Riverwalk | Find Tours, Restaurants, Museums & Art

2023 30 Minute Lake Michigan Speedboat Ride

15 Best Boat Tours in Chicago for 2023 | Best Things to Do in Chicago

I much prefer Chicago to Houston. I lived near Houston years ago, and although huge and with its charms of shopping, museums, dining, etc., the lack of more traditional zoning regs spreads the place all over hell's half acre, making it a genuine bitch to get around. And although I consider downtown Houston to be a museum of modern architecture, I found it rare to see crowds of people walking the downtown streets. There are elevated and enclosed walkways everywhere, making the city -at least in fable if not fact- the most air-conditioned city it the country. It was inhospitably hot.

And although always a visitor and never a resident, Chicago, on the other hand, is compact. Downtown and the Lakeshore are very easy to navigate, and I think it beats the Texas Giant for the above-mentioned charms. The winters and the snow can be brutal, but I'm less averse to cold than to hot, so in that respect, it's a better fit for climate preferences. YMMV, of course.

And both cities are nicely supplied for those of our hobby.

I've been there many times with clients for the weekend none of which lived there. In fact, me and another provider that's now retired used to visit Chicago together with this client semi regularly.... only two or three times a few years later did I go back and stay on my own... I did OK, certainly didn't count crickets but for being what is the third largest city in the nation I would have expected to do a little better. Me and my friend who is now retired had a mutual client that lived there and he asked us both at different times how we did in the Windy City and we said "pretty OK" not setting it on fire and he was baffled but wasn't surprised because R. Sager told him the same thing Just prior to his passing. At least for me it continues to be another wonder of the world lol. 😂 

6 hours ago, Unicorn said:

That city has some of the best modern architecture on the planet, as well as wonderful museums. You can also take the L to Oak Park to view some handsome Frank Lloyd Wright homes. Many enjoyable sights in Chicago, such as taking cruises on the Chicago River and the along the lake, the Riverwalk, and Buckingham Fountain, are not available in the cooler and colder months, so I think one misses out if going there during those times. This city probably boasts the best Russian restaurant in the world, Russian Tea Time, which is but 50 meters from the main entrance of the Art Institute, so we'll always have lunch there. Even if you're not a big fan of Russian cuisine, this should not be missed. 

Russian Tea Time | Enjoy Illinois

Russian Tea Time is one of the best restaurants in Chicago

Buckingham Fountain in Chicago - Grant Park's Watery Artwork – Go Guides

City of Chicago :: Chicago Riverwalk 2022 Summer Season Announced

Chicago Riverwalk | Find Tours, Restaurants, Museums & Art

2023 30 Minute Lake Michigan Speedboat Ride

15 Best Boat Tours in Chicago for 2023 | Best Things to Do in Chicago

It's also is home to the best Vietnamese/French restaurant I've ever been to "Le Colonial" and for when I'm in the mood for an exceedingly over the top, decadent,  go for it type of place, I love "The Little Goat" everything in moderation, even moderation, right?  😂 

Edited by Vin_Marco

5 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

It's also is home to the best Vietnamese/French restaurant I've ever been to "Le Colonial" and for when I'm in the mood for an exceedingly over the top, decadent,  go for it type of place. I love "The Little Goat" everything in moderation, even moderation, right?  😂 

The first restaurant called "Le Colonial" was (and still is) in San Francisco. The name has also been licensed by the chain of restaurants in Chicago, Atlanta, and Houston.

So you can find your favorite spot in all four of those cities! 🥳

I have only been to Chicago twice for short trips, but my impression has always been positive. Great food & restaurant scene, and if you are in for a good laugh, 2nd City Comedy Club is a go-to. Many of the troupe members have eventually transitioned their careers to Saturday Night Live or comedic writers and producers in the entertainment industry. Would definitely go back again 

• 1 month later...

I've lived in Chicago my entire adult life and I'm willing to try and answer any questions. I should mention a monthly LGBTQ+ storytelling show.  It's called Outspoken Chicago and it takes place the first Tuesday every month at Sidetrack.  There is no cost to attend these true personal narratives but an ID is required to show proof of age at the entrance. 

gee, how did I miss this thread?......

no expert, but have visited several times since childhood.....fantastic city:  solid midwestern friendliness blended with big-city sophistication......summer is best!

the architecture is, of course, legendary.....several tour companies available, but this may be the best: https://www.architecture.org/tours/detail/chicago-architecture-center-river-cruise-aboard-chicago-s-first-lady/   I took it a few years ago and the woman narrator spoke for 90 minutes straight....at the end, we went out onto the lake away from the city and, as the boat turned around to face the city, I remember the narrator raised both her arms high in a "glorious" somewhat-melodramatic salute to the skyscrapers.....admittedly, that view was incredible......

rent a bike from one of several sidewalk stands downtown and ride the bike path along the lake....I rode up to Evanston, then down to Jackson Park to see the site of the famous 1893 World's Fair, the "White City".....the well-known Museum Of Science And Industry is all that remains of the fairgrounds.....

have also been to the exact site of Mrs. O'Leary's barn (but don't believe how the fire started!), the very spot where Dillinger was gunned down, and the site of the famous Union Stockyards ("Hog Butcher For (To) The World")......

so much more:  the "L" trains rattling overhead (what a classic sound), Marshall Fields (now a Macy's), Chicago Art Institute, Wrigley Field, Navy Pier (actually was not wowed by it), Grant Park and Millennium Park (The Bean area is apparently closed for park renovation thru spring of 2024), pizza, cheeburgers (!), walking the river, the many neighborhoods, Shedd Aquarium.......

Edited by azdr0710

On 11/29/2023 at 7:52 PM, azdr0710 said:

fantastic city:  solid midwestern friendliness blended with big-city sophistication

Couldn’t agree more; have always enjoyed my time in Chicago

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, m4same said:

If you're in Chicago on the first Tuesday of the month, go to Outspoken, and lgbtq+ storytelling show. True personal stories.  It's free to attend but bring an ID to get into Sidetrack for the show.

You must be a regular! Or maybe you're an official PR guy? 

You posted the same advice here about two months ago. ☺️

On 2/9/2024 at 4:16 PM, Lucky said:

Be nice. It could just be a reminder. After all, how many posts from two months ago do you remember?

Thank you.  I didn't intend to bore the room. It fits the topic and it's not something the average tourist would discover.