Suntanning

ICTJOCK

One positive point of conversation with clients is looking   "tanned".   I suppose it is equated with "health"  and an   active life.

I have a very active lifestyle and spend a lot of time outdoors in the summer shirtless and in the pool.   There isn't much need to supplement any sun exposure with time in a tanning bed.

I always use appropriate tanning protection when I am out.    I always try and be aware of how much time I am spending outdoors as skin care always should be an important consideration.    I've seen people who have had advanced sun exposure for years and isn't wise.      Winter is a little different.     I don't suffer from light deprivation,  but it is nice to have a "kick up"  after a long winter's day.

I have a friend who tans for his SAD symptoms  (a form of depression).     I know it helps him during the winter months.

New research shows that moderate unprotected sun exposure is actually healthier. Sun-sourced Vitamin D is reportedly cancer-preventative. I’m an avid cyclist, so I’m often lightly tanned. I’m too antsy to lie in the sun so I don’t ever get too dark. My annual dermatologist visits reveal no cancers thank goodness.

3 hours ago, Pensant said:

New research shows that moderate unprotected sun exposure is actually healthier. Sun-sourced Vitamin D is reportedly cancer-preventative. I’m an avid cyclist, so I’m often lightly tanned. I’m too antsy to lie in the sun so I don’t ever get too dark. My annual dermatologist visits reveal no cancers thank goodness.

That's awesome.   I appreciate the update.

4 hours ago, Pensant said:

And promotes kidney health! ( vitamin D )

On 9/25/2023 at 5:43 AM, Pensant said:

New research shows that moderate unprotected sun exposure is actually healthier. Sun-sourced Vitamin D is reportedly cancer-preventative....

No, it's not.

WWW.CANCER.GOV

A fact sheet summarizing studies looking at links between someone’s vitamin D level or vitamin D supplement use and their risk of developing or dying from cancer. It...

"Most randomized controlled trials have found that vitamin D supplements, with or without calcium, do not reduce the risk of developing cancer overall or of developing specific cancers (11, 26–29). An evidence report prepared for the United States Preventive Serves Task Force (USPSTF) in its assessment of nutrient supplements to prevent cardiovascular disease or cancer found little or no benefit for vitamin D in preventing cancer, cardiovascular disease, and death (30). For example, the early large randomized Women’s Health Initiative trial found that supplementation with 400 IU vitamin D plus 1000 mg calcium had no effect on the incidence of breast or colorectal cancer among postmenopausal women (31–33). 

More recently, the largest trial of vitamin D supplementation, VITAL, assigned more than 25,000 participants aged 50 and over (men) or 55 and over (women) to receive a daily dose of 2000 IU vitamin D plus fish oil omega-3 fatty acids or of placebo. After 5 years of follow-up, the vitamin D/omega-3 group had the same overall cancer incidence as the placebo group (29). The incidence of breast, prostate, and colorectal cancer was also the same in both groups. Another large trial of vitamin D supplementation, ViDA, conducted among New Zealanders aged 50–84, also found no association between supplementation and the risk of cancer overall (34).  In addition, findings from several trials cast doubt on the idea that taking vitamin D supplements prevents the development of colorectal adenomas, which can become colorectal cancer. In the VITAL trial, people who took vitamin D supplements did not have a lower risk of colorectal adenomas or serrated polyps at 5 years of follow-up (35). An ancillary study of a randomized trial in US adults with prediabetes and overweight or obesity found that vitamin D supplementation was not associated with incident cancer or colorectal polyps (36). And in the Vitamin D/Calcium Polyp Prevention Study, which studied people who had had at least one adenoma removed during colonoscopy at the start of the study, taking a daily vitamin D supplement did not reduce the risk that adenomas would recur during the following 10 years..."

The only times I've used a tanning beds was just a few days prior to photoshoots. We all know they're not exactly the best habit to get into. Like many things ( provided your skin can take it ) everything in moderation. Because of my ethnic origin I can get as tan/dark as any Tahitian or Sāmoan as indicated by this photo of me with my dear long time friend "Tehei" 😜

*and yes, I'm exceedingly diligent with wearing sunscreen. I've grown up surfing and on the ocean since the time I could walk so it's just been ingrained into my head ( and face too 🤣

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

IMG_C1CE3C220948-1.jpeg

Edited by Vin_Marco

On 9/30/2023 at 6:32 PM, Rudynate said:

This probably sounds scandalously shallow, but I like spray tan. I just do it from time to time, mostly for fun.  One time, I got a coat of spray tan before my husband and I left for a camping trip in the Sierras. We were getting some groceries in Nevada City and I had a bunch of straight women cruising me in the grocery store.

Interesting.  I know they do those at my salon,  but have never done it.   I enjoy time in the tanning booth,  great way to chill out and relax.

7 hours ago, Vin_Marco said:

The only times I've used a tanning beds was just a few days prior to photoshoots. We all know they're not exactly the best habit to get into. Like many things ( provided your skin can take it ) everything in moderation. Because of my ethnic origin I can get as tan/dark as any Tahitian or Sāmoan as indicated by this photo of me with my dear long time friend "Tehei" 😜

*and yes, I'm exceedingly diligent with wearing sunscreen. I've grown up surfing and on the ocean since the time I could walk so it's just been ingrained into my head ( and face too 🤣

IMG_2550.jpeg

IMG_2555.jpeg

IMG_C1CE3C220948-1.jpeg

This may be the first time I saw an eggplant with a cock head on top. ; )

44 minutes ago, viewing ownly said:

This may be the first time I saw an eggplant with a cock head on top. ; )

😂 it's just that that Im kinda new to the forum again... I created an account years ago and after about a month I never logged back in until a couple of months ago and I'm not sure where nudes are allowed and not allowed 🚫 lol 😂 

I was going to ask where I can share my progress photos both nude and non nude.. while I'm not as tan as I can be, I'm 1.5 weeks away from what I call "photoshoot" condition or stage ready 💎 lean and hard as nails 😜

I had never tanned  (other than a "Farner's tan)  prior to the fall of 2016,  but a photographer suggested I tan because of the photo shoots I do,  both indoors and out.     The difference was amazing and would never do a shoot unless I was tanned appropriately,  especially in front of white walls or other light colored items in the photo.

I've never seen long exposure to tanning beds turn out well for men's faces or skin. 

The research is csystal clear on how much worse a bed tan is than simple sun exposure. 

https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/skin-cancer/surprising-facts-about-indoor-tanning#:~:text=Tanning beds are NOT safer,basal cell carcinoma by 24%.

When I was young and used Tanning beds occasionally, the chemical/sweaty smell that built inside over the session drove me FUCKING wild.  I could not finish a session w/o jacking off in that tube.  I thought the blue light was kinda sexy too.  But that smell.  It wasn't normal body odor, the light seemed to slightly fry the sweat.  

9 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

When I was young and used Tanning beds occasionally, the chemical/sweaty smell that built inside over the session drove me FUCKING wild.  I could not finish a session w/o jacking off in that tube.  I thought the blue light was kinda sexy too.  But that smell.  It wasn't normal body odor, the light seemed to slightly fry the sweat.  

I thought 💭 everyone jerked off in the tanning bed I can get it done ✔️ 1-2 times in 7-12 min no problem 😉 😜 ( what else is there to do? 😆 )

I am fair skinned and burn fairly easily. I got too much sun as a kid in the summers and this was before thsy had developed spf factors in sunscreen. In the 50s and 60s it was Bain de Soliel which was essentially frying oil for the skin.

Then in the 80s and since I diligently applied sunscreen but still got a lot of sun both in summer and winter by going south. 

Today my skin is sun damaged and I see my dermatologist every 6 months since I get Ak frequently and bcc the odd time (3 times so far). My face is not too wrinkled but my arms and legs are in the last two years I have noticed. Oh well, can't turn back the clock. 

Edited by Luv2play

4 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

I am fair skinned and burn fairly easily. I got too much sun as a kid in the summers and this was before thsy had developed spf factors in sunscreen. In the 50s and 60s it was Bain de Soliel which was essentially frying oil for the skin.

Then in the 80s and since I diligently applied sunscreen but still got a lot of sun both in summer and winter by going south. 

Today my skin is sun damaged and I see my dermatologist every 6 months since I get Ak frequently and bcc the odd time (3 times so far). My face is not too wrinkled but my arms and legs are in the last two years I have noticed. Oh well, can't turn back the clock. 

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you see the dermatologist regularly. 

• 1 month later...

I comment only infrequently on this blog.  Reading an article this AM brought to mind this discussion chain.  Environment International, available 8 November 2023 online.  “Global, Regional & National Burden of …Exposure to Solar UV radiation…”.  Unable to link despite several tries.  The point should be clear—avoid unnecessary exposure to UV light.  Please remember to vet sources.  Best sources are sites such as the NIH and reputable journals.  Best wishes to all for an enjoyable Thanksgiving!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 9:27 AM, Rod Hagen said:

No matter the salon, the location or even brief duration, a unique smell, the same every time.

A friend used to refer to it as the new gay fragrance, “Bacon Bleu” 😂