I hate American

José Soplanucas

Unfortunately, their prices are reasonable, so I may be doomed to keep flying with them. However, I am having the worst traveling experience of my life right now.

My flight left DC 4 hours delayed. When we landed in Miami, we had to wait 25 minutes on the tarmac for a gate. When I exited the gate, my flight to Buenos Aires was still boarding. However, I did not make it. They did not assign fast transportation from one gate to the other, and all the passengers in my situation lost their flight. 

We were re-directed to the rebooking counter, with not much empathy. The line was endless. After 2 hours in the line, I was assigned a stand-by seat on a flight tonight. No hotel, no meals, not even a voucher for the Admirals Club. I slept a couple of hours on the floor, and everything started to open up for morning business. 

The silver lining is the Cuban men in the airport. As the situation is beyond my control, my frustration was short-lived. I now sit in the concourse, admiring the parade of sexy security and airport staff. I may log into my hookup apps. I have a lot of time.

By the way, I saw a lot of Pride stuff in Reagan. Here in Miami, there is nothing (besides the hot men).

1 hour ago, José Soplanucas said:

LOL. It was intentional. A clickbait intended to disappoint some bright posters who think I hate the USA.

My apologies, I was not thinking of you. 

My immediate thought was, 'He hates American what?' I don't hate them, but my [not that] late flight and 20 minute wait for a gate at DFW didn't result in me missing my flight to Melbourne, only my bag missed it.

5 minutes ago, mike carey said:

My immediate thought was, 'He hates American what?' I don't hate them, but my [not that] late flight and 20 minute wait for a gate at DFW didn't result in me missing my flight to Melbourne, only my bag missed it.

The word hate was part of the bait. I am not as passionate in my current dislike for AA. 

But if you do not, I guess your bag does hate them. 😇

12 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

LOL. It was intentional. A clickbait intended to disappoint some bright posters who think I hate the USA.

My apologies, I was not thinking of you. 

Hmm, you actually started a thread with a clickbait headline just to try to trigger forum members who think you hate the US??

Like some old English guy once said:  "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

American gets a bad rap.  

American domestic service is on par or superior to all except Delta. if you have status, they are excellent with domestic upgrades

American international is a completely different airline and no complaints after dozens of trips.  Forget about any long-haul upgrades tho unless you’re paying with cash & miles.  International service almost always runs on time.  Excellent business lounges in Miami & JFK

First... I'm sorry you're dealing with this. 

AA ops are taking it in the chops lately, a lot of it due to MX delays brought on by pilot union negotiations, FA morale at an all-time low, odd weather systems at their hubs and a carrier who hasn't quite yet figured out who and what they want to be, so they follow the lead of DL and UA, usually in half-assed fashion.

I say this having very high status with American.  I'm nothing if not bluntly honest, even with a product I use weekly.

That said, learn from this.  If it happens again, immediately turn on your phone while waiting on the tarmac and call AA reservations to protect yourself on the next flight.  Don't wait until it's too late.  Pax have to now be proactive and realize that the airline will no longer bend over backwards to accommodate them.

It's ugly, but it's the truth.

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

It looks as though American Airlines is 3rd in terms of on-time arrivals in the US. Not that far behind Delta and Alaska:

OTP-turbine-hue.jpg
WWW.CIRIUM.COM

The Monthly On-Time Performance Report – 2023. The Cirium On-Time Performance monthly reports provide a neutral, third-party view.

Arrival-Data0523

(Data from column 1 is May 2023, 2 is April 2023, 3 is March 2023)

Edited by Unicorn

Air travel in most any form has become tedious and somewhat difficult. I'm always glad to have escaped the 45 minute to 2 hour wait in the Disneyland like security line. Always rue my decision not to sign up for the preferred traveler line. Here in Dallas it's AA or Southwest, a unique experience in of itself. Love standing in the Southwest line waiting to board, and someone will want to look at your boarding number, insisting to get in front of you. I used to be able to fly in the front of the plane on occasion, but First Class has gotten way too pricey. O well. The choice remains: Get in line or stay at home.

5 hours ago, Becket said:

The choice remains: Get in line or stay at home.

that’s the main choice.  if you’re traveling economy/coach there’s not much anyone will do for you when things go wrong.  

First or Business is another scenario altogether.  I won’t spend extra money for short domestic flights, but usually do for long-haul international.

btw - the performance of the airlines is not just up to them. Increasingly, the passengers are creating problems & delays beyond the airlines control. Climate change is also affecting schedules with more extreme weather than ever.  

anybody remember when the overhead was just an open shelf with nothing but tons of pillows and blankets up there?....nobody carried on luggage!......

anybody remember when LAX was just one level with no garages?......

anybody remember a time with no frequent-flier plans at all?.......

anybody remember dressing up to go flying, even in Coach?.......

anybody remember meeting your arriving party right at the gate?........

free full meals in coach on flights less than two hours long?.......

don't forget we get what we ask for!.......deregulation in the late 70s (and a few hijackings) led to all this!.......

"The Travail Has Been Taken Out Of Travel".......

11 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It looks as though American Airlines is 3rd in terms of on-time arrivals in the US. Not that far behind Delta and Alaska:

OTP-turbine-hue.jpg
WWW.CIRIUM.COM

The Monthly On-Time Performance Report – 2023. The Cirium On-Time Performance monthly reports provide a neutral, third-party view.

Arrival-Data0523

I mean, historically D0 rates have very little to do with the actual pax experience and ultimate customer retention.

Operations focuses far too hard on them, leaving many pax to misconnect.  The days of (briefly) holding flights for connecting pax is long gone.

59 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

anybody remember when the overhead was just an open shelf with nothing but tons of pillows and blankets up there?....nobody carried on luggage!......

anybody remember when LAX was just one level with no garages?......

anybody remember a time with no frequent-flier plans at all?.......

anybody remember dressing up to go flying, even in Coach?.......

anybody remember meeting your arriving party right at the gate?........

free full meals in coach on flights less than two hours long?.......

don't forget we get what we ask for!.......deregulation in the late 70s (and a few hijackings) led to all this!.......

"The Travail Has Been Taken Out Of Travel".......

This isn't the 1960s and won't ever be again. We have to live in the here and now.

Adapting to the ins and outs of new systems is a part of human existence.

2 hours ago, SouthOfTheBorder said:

...First or Business is another scenario altogether.  I won’t spend extra money for short domestic flights, but usually do for long-haul international.

The only time I pay for business class domestically is for American Airlines' Transcon Flagship Service, especially on their A321T's. Unlike most of their domestic first class, the flagship service is super comfortable and they have great meals. And often I get upgraded to their Flagship First service, which is even more incredible, with 1-1 seating and gourmet meals. 

Flagship business:

5657fd033e404cad93305fcd767f2254-america
WWW.EXECUTIVETRAVELLER.COM

Flying from east to west in the United States is American Airlines' Airbus A321T business class, complete with fully-flat beds in a cosy 20-seat cabin and sure to keep you...

Flagship First Class:

American May End A321T Premium Transcon Flights - One Mile at a Time

IMG_4706.jpg
JETSET.REVIEWS

American Airlines Transcontinental First Class is the most luxurious way to fly across the United States. We flew from San Francisco SFO to New York JFK.

Just to correct one item on that article: this service is also available from Boston to LAX, which we took on our trip from Provincetown last year (I was upgraded to first from my business class seat, since AA had overbooked their business class; my beau was kept in business class). 

When we come back from Fire Island/JFK in a couple of weeks, that'll be our last experience with flatbed seats until February when we go on Qatar Airways' Q-Suites. The price differential between Premium Economy and Business on our nonstop from LAX to Haneda in October was just too great ($4500 for two people in PE, $21,000 for Business, codeshare on JAL, even more expensive if we had flown AA). 

Review: Japan Airlines (787-900) Premium Economy Class – Dallas to  TokyoVeteran, part time travel blogger.

Japan Airlines Premium Economy: What to Know - NerdWallet

9 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

The only time I pay for business class domestically is for American Airlines' Transcon Flagship Service, especially on their A321T's. Unlike most of their domestic first class, the flagship service is super comfortable and they have great meals. And often I get upgraded to their Flagship First service, which is even more incredible, with 1-1 seating and gourmet meals. 

Enjoy the 3-class while you can.  It's going away permanently when AA starts to retrofit their new J-class product in 2024.

Flagship First is an aged, just-okay F product (for America).  I wouldn't pay for it.  Only on cabin-roll, mileage or SWU

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

OK. I'll have to ask. What's cabin-roll? This is what I get when I google it:

cabin-rolls-54437.png
WWW.CDKITCHEN.COM

These tender rolls are the perfect addition to any meal.

It's when Y is oversold and they need seats, so they roll Y to J and J to F and that opens up spots where ops needs them.

It happens more frequently than people know and if you're a smart flyer, you target the routes where it's happening routinely.

And then there's the elusive, unicorn-like op-up.  Otherwise known as the 'operational upgrade.'  Happens far less, but it's still out there.