Question about Poppers

edinbrooklyn

It’s hardly a fetish but not sure where else this fits.

I was in Vishara Video on 8th Avenue and 48th in Manhattan and they had an enormous selection of poppers. More brands than I’ve ever seen. My question, can you once again get “real” (like in the old days) poppers or are they all the same “room fragrance,” “tape-head cleaner” etc.? Short acting and not really worth the effort, for many of us.

Some of these establishments push the bounds on other things, so curious.

PM me, if preferred.

Thanks!

If by “real” you mean amyl, then no, that’s still illegal except for medical use. Although there’s a certain fetish store that was making its own brew a couple of years back. Worth asking them what’s in it. Maybe they’ve procured the real thing. DM for details. 

5 hours ago, edinbrooklyn said:

It’s hardly a fetish but not sure where else this fits.

I was in Vishara Video on 8th Avenue and 48th in Manhattan and they had an enormous selection of poppers. More brands than I’ve ever seen. My question, can you once again get “real” (like in the old days) poppers or are they all the same “room fragrance,” “tape-head cleaner” etc.? Short acting and not really worth the effort, for many of us.

Some of these establishments push the bounds on other things, so curious.

PM me, if preferred.

Thanks!

In the shops that I go to in San Francisco, I usually ask the employees behind the counter which brands are the strongest.  Otherwise, today's poppers "aint" like the real things that I would get during the last century.  I would say the same for other areas in this country as well.

I, in the not so distant future, could order on line out of country; that has ceased, for U.S. banks no longer accept cc charges for AMyl coming from outside.

16 minutes ago, Axiom2001 said:

today's poppers "aint" like the real things that I would get during the last century

as others have mentioned, the formulas have changed due to laws prohibiting certain ingredients. that’s for the legit produced “poppers”

then there’s the counterfeit poppers problem which is where you can question the retailer about source.  
if you think about it - poppers are an easy mark for counterfeiters because consumers don’t really know where they come from and there are no real “brands”.  the retailers just want a product to sell with a big margin & the counterfeits are everywhere 

the fear is who knows what’s in the counterfeit products.  I would be very selective where you buys these products 

I’ve read some reviews about the El Toro Strong brand.  They said it was stronger than the other brands.  I tried looking for  a local retailer but I couldn’t find one.

Was this all hype and false advertising?

4 hours ago, JourneysEnd said:

AFAIUI, it's because it was originally a treatment for angina in little glass vials that broke open with a 'pop' noise.

The glass vials were wrapped in a yellow fabric, so that when you "popped" the vial, the liquid in them soaked the fabric so that you could sniff them safely without cutting your fingers and nose on the glass.

On 6/10/2023 at 5:07 PM, SouthOfTheBorder said:

the fear is who knows what’s in the counterfeit products

You don't really know what's in ANY of the products, counterfeit or otherwise. There's no oversight to manufacture.

That said, I've ordered several times, as recently as two months ago, from

WWW.POPPERS-AROMAS.EU

Poppers for sale. Buy Poppers - Fast delivery from France to UK. Amyl, Pentyl, Propyl nitrite are available. Shipping worldwide, best price, shop now

without problems.  Downside is that shipping to the US makes them expensive, delivery can take from one to several weeks, and of course there's always the chance your delivery will be stopped somewhere in the chain of custody.  I wouldn't expect anything bought in a retail store in the US to be other than isobutyl nitrite, regardless of brand and how labeled.

There is a new brand, made in Chicago. Not as if it is 'the strongest'. They all have similar strength. But that one is the only one that does not cause irritation and does not make you cough like crazy. vhcleaner dot com.

16 hours ago, robear said:

You don't really know what's in ANY of the products, counterfeit or otherwise. There's no oversight to manufacture.

That said, I've ordered several times, as recently as two months ago, from

WWW.POPPERS-AROMAS.EU

Poppers for sale. Buy Poppers - Fast delivery from France to UK. Amyl, Pentyl, Propyl nitrite are available. Shipping worldwide, best price, shop now

without problems.  Downside is that shipping to the US makes them expensive, delivery can take from one to several weeks, and of course there's always the chance your delivery will be stopped somewhere in the chain of custody.  I wouldn't expect anything bought in a retail store in the US to be other than isobutyl nitrite, regardless of brand and how labeled.

Thanks! Do you think they’re legal in Europe? I’d try picking them up next time I’m there.

8 hours ago, edinbrooklyn said:

Thanks! Do you think they’re legal in Europe? I’d try picking them up next time I’m there.

I can't speak to legality, I don't know.  And of course "Europe" involves many jurisdictions.  AND the whole question of "legality" is murky, as the chemistry can be tweaked to sidestep any outright bans.  The website listed above, as well as others, operate quite openly in Europe without a problem AFAIK. If you are there, perhaps visiting gay sex shops and having a convo with the handsome staff would glean some useful real-world information.

I can buy some strong stuff in person at ChiChi LaRue’s in WeHo - they say imported from Austria. Higher priced, std aroma, excellent and dependable effect. One clerk said it’s real amyl, but I doubt that part. 
I use them rarely, and for me, 2-hit max. Perhaps original amyl was better for players who use it often, and with many hits per session? The imports I use feel closer to the 1980’s amyl. Check in at ChiChi’s retail locations next time you’re in LA. 

17 hours ago, Cliff said:

Leatherman NYC on Christopher St advertises a brand of poppers called “Brown Bottle”  and describes it as “VHS head cleaning solution.” 😲

You’d think they’d update it to reference a device that’s popular in the current millennium! 

On 6/12/2023 at 3:39 PM, edinbrooklyn said:

It depends which country you are in. It's legal to buy in some countries, illegal in others, some where you can only buy online and some where you can buy OTC but not online.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
11 minutes ago, jonnychgo said:

About to travel to Palm Springs. Wondering if it is possible to bring poppers on an airplane?

In the US, technically they are in a legal grey area.  you’re unlikely to encounter any problems traveling with them bc of the small size - I’ve don’t it countless times on domestic US flights.  but, in Palm Springs you’ll be able to find them easily, so why even bother ?

I would not fly with them on international flights bc there could be an issue at final destination, depending on laws and if your bags are checked.  the odds are extremely low you’d have a problem, but it’s possible.