Happy Pride Month! Patt Robertson is dead!

José Soplanucas
Message added by rvwnsd,

Folks,

As a result of political commentary and personal attacks being posted, despite three moderator's warnings and having rules against posting such content, the moderators have decided to lock this thread.

Let's do a better job of keeping the political commentary and personal attacks out of The Company of Men. 

Thank you

19 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Not hair-splitty. He stated "Anti-gay people are not all religious and most aren't...". Rather than respond to my post that his statement was BS, he was the one who got hair-splitty to (falsely) claim that the only people protesting were WBC. The truth is that you, he, and I all know that virtually 100% of all anti-gay hatred has a religious basis, in the US and in every country in the world. I've been to a lot of gay parades, and counter-protestors ALWAYS add religion to their messages. Lots of gay men have been rejected by their families. Do you or he know of ONE who wasn't rejected on the basis of religious objections? No, you do not. 

@augustus mistakenly identified the protesters as the lunatic fringe group, the Westboro Baptist Church, when they were actually another lunatic fringe group, Official Street Preachers.  No real difference between the two, unless you want to get all hair-splitty.

I actually don't know any gay person who has been rejected by their family.  Granted, that doesn't prove the problem doesn't exist, just as the one case of your fiance doesn't prove the problem is rampant and widespread.

O Man of Science, can you prove the causal relationship between Pat Robertson and your fiance's parents' decision to cut off ties with him?

8 hours ago, BSR said:

...I actually don't know any gay person who has been rejected by their family.  Granted, that doesn't prove the problem doesn't exist, just as the one case of your fiance doesn't prove the problem is rampant and widespread...

Enough of the BS. You and he and everybody else knows that essentially all anti-gay hatred and fear stems from religious misinformation such as that promulgated by PR. The identities of the groups (or individuals) protesting at gay pride parades around the world is obviously an irrelevant red herring. I have trouble believing you don't know any gay person who's been rejected by his family, but since I've known dozens, and you are by your own admission ignorant on this subject, I will inform you (and you can't refute, due to your admitted ignorance) that this is (1) a common problem, and (2) always due to bird-brained crap promulgated by PR and his ilk. Of course, there are other crap-promulgators such as WBC, OSP, LDS President Russell Nelson, and others, so it's obviously not possible to pinpoint a family rejection to a single preacher. 

cartoon.jpg.1076e58cc58b90b90edeb7fd0ab8

Edited by Unicorn

12 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Enough of the BS. You and he and everybody else knows that essentially all anti-gay hatred and fear stems from religious misinformation 

Really? You are calling an opinion that is different than yours "BS"? Not too disdainful of the opinions of others. Are we?
And you justify calling his opinion as "BS" by proffering up your own totally baseless, unproven, narrow-minded opinion. 
The truth is that claiming that you know the source of essentially all anti-gay bigotry is far more BS than what @BSR stated.

The topic of this thread is Pat Robertson. In these three pages, all the haters have come out of the closet to celebrate his death,  dance on his grave, and bash the values that he represents. The values of tens of millions of Americans. There seems to be far more hate and malice emanating from the Robertson detractors than from anything Robertson has ever said or done in his life.

BoZo

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

8 minutes ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

...You are calling an opinion that is different than yours "BS"?...

Sorry, but my "opinion" happens to be a based on hard facts:

RLS-social-promo.png
WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

Explore the geographic distribution and demographics of America's major religious groups.

It's also a fact, not an opinion, that @BSR doesn't know one single person whose family rejected him (or her) for being LGBT on a non-religious basis, nor do I. Fess up: do you? Yet I can't even count on my fingers and toes the number of people whose families rejected them for religious reasons. Yes, not every religious person is a bigot, obviously, and thankfully not all were supportive of PR. Yet the vast majority of anti-gay people are religious. It's even worse with Muslims and LDS. 

Just now, Unicorn said:

Sorry, but my "opinion" happens to be a based on hard facts:

RLS-social-promo.png
WWW.PEWRESEARCH.ORG

Explore the geographic distribution and demographics of America's major religious groups.

It's also a fact, not an opinion, that @BSR doesn't know one single person whose family rejected him (or her) for being LGBT on a non-religious basis, nor do I. Fess up: do you? Yet I can't even count on my fingers and toes the number of people whose families rejected them for religious reasons. Yes, not every religious person is a bigot, obviously, and thankfully not all were supportive of PR. Yet the vast majority of anti-gay people are religious. It's even worse with Muslims and LDS. 

A HUGE lol!

Where in that article does it say, or even imply, that "all anti-gay hatred and fear stems from religious misinformation.."  Those are your words you state as facts. And NOTHING in that PEW Research shows otherwise.

The Roberston opponents are desperately seeking any excuse to justify their hatred.
The cult of victimhood knows no boundaries. 

BoZo

36 minutes ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

A HUGE lol!

Where in that article does it say, or even imply, that "all anti-gay hatred and fear stems from religious misinformation.."  Those are your words you state as facts. And NOTHING in that PEW Research shows otherwise.

The Roberston opponents are desperately seeking any excuse to justify their hatred.
The cult of victimhood knows no boundaries. 

BoZo

There is no desperation, Bright One. All you need to do is listen to Robertson's own words. If you do not see his homophobia, anyone with a functioning brain knows why.

Edited by José Soplanucas

15 minutes ago, José Soplanucas said:

There is no desperation, Bright One. All you need to do is listening to Patterson's own words. If you do not see his homophobia, anyone with a functioning brain knows why.

Pat Robertson, Robert Pattinson. Not the same people, thankfully! 😄 Freudian slip?

Robert Pattinson | Robert pattinson, Rare quote, Robert

Robert Pattinson | Robert pattinson, Inspirational quotes, Twilight quotes

Edited by Unicorn

On 6/12/2023 at 11:06 PM, Unicorn said:

Enough of the BS. You and he and everybody else knows that essentially all anti-gay hatred and fear stems from religious misinformation such as that promulgated by PR. The identities of the groups (or individuals) protesting at gay pride parades around the world is obviously an irrelevant red herring. I have trouble believing you don't know any gay person who's been rejected by his family, but since I've known dozens, and you are by your own admission ignorant on this subject, I will inform you (and you can't refute, due to your admitted ignorance) that this is (1) a common problem, and (2) always due to bird-brained crap promulgated by PR and his ilk. Of course, there are other crap-promulgators such as WBC, OSP, LDS President Russell Nelson, and others, so it's obviously not possible to pinpoint a family rejection to a single preacher. 

cartoon.jpg.1076e58cc58b90b90edeb7fd0ab8

You are the self-proclaimed man of science, yet you pack your posts with assumptions and accusations.

O man of science, where are the peer-reviewed studies proving that millions (or even hundreds of thousands) of LGBTs are rejected by their religious parents?  Where are the peer-reviewed studies proving that the preachings of Pat Robertson and similar figures directly cause these religious parents to reject their LGBT children?

Present those peer-reviewed studies, stop the wild-eyed assumptions & accusations, and then we'll talk.  Have a nice day.

15 hours ago, BOZO T CLOWN said:

Really? You are calling an opinion that is different than yours "BS"? Not too disdainful of the opinions of others. Are we?
And you justify calling his opinion as "BS" by proffering up your own totally baseless, unproven, narrow-minded opinion. 
The truth is that claiming that you know the source of essentially all anti-gay bigotry is far more BS than what @BSR stated.

The topic of this thread is Pat Robertson. In these three pages, all the haters have come out of the closet to celebrate his death,  dance on his grave, and bash the values that he represents. The values of tens of millions of Americans. There seems to be far more hate and malice emanating from the Robertson detractors than from anything Robertson has ever said or done in his life.

BoZo

Oh I see. So, because a popular public figure who sadly influenced and was part of "tens of millions of Americans" who hate the disgusting activities, agenda, sexual behavior etc etc of homosexuals died, homosexuals are supposed to mourn his passing, respectfully be silent and/or send thoughts and prayers?...

PLEEEASE!! 🙄🤦‍♂️

26 minutes ago, BSR said:

You are the self-proclaimed man of science, yet you pack your posts with assumptions and accusations.

O man of science, where are the peer-reviewed studies proving that millions (or even hundreds of thousands) of LGBTs are rejected by their religious parents?  Where are the peer-reviewed studies proving that the preachings of Pat Robertson and similar figures directly cause these religious parents to reject their LGBT children?

Present those peer-reviewed studies, stop the wild-eyed assumptions & accusations, and then we'll talk.  Have a nice day.

What's your point? Defending and/or supporting Pat Robertson?...

Asking for a friend.

Edited by Italiano

Wow. You can actually smell the bile bubbling up in this thread.

I have been aware of the guy for most of my life, but his existence has always been mostly meaningless to me.

We all know that Christian Conservatives like to "bible-thump" to make themselves appear more holy.                               Anti-gay rhetoric is only one of the usual narratives that get spun from their pulpit.

I just switch it off and go about my business.

WHY, I ponder are so many of you so triggered by this person ?
He doesn't seem any different from the millions of other bible-belt-Baptists.

Was there something he actually DID that went beyond the usual religious conservative viewpoints of his faith ?

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

Wow. You can actually smell the bile bubbling up in this thread.

I have been aware of the guy for most of my life, but his existence has always been mostly meaningless to me.

We all know that Christian Conservatives like to "bible-thump" to make themselves appear more holy.                               Anti-gay rhetoric is only one of the usual narratives that get spun from their pulpit.

I just switch it off and go about my business.

He doesn't seem any different from the millions of other bible-belt-Baptists.

Was there something he actually DID that went beyond the usual religious conservative viewpoints of his faith ?

All you have to do is listen to his preaching and consider his influence and standing among the Brightest Americans. I wonder what triggers you and your other Bright friends to defend an influential homophobe. 

Naw, I actually do not wonder why.

2 hours ago, José Soplanucas said:

All you have to do is listen to his preaching and consider his influence and standing among the Brightest Americans. I wonder what triggers you and your other Bright friends to defend an influential homophobe. 

Naw, I actually do not wonder why.

? huh ?

Who's "defending him" ??

I said I've spent my whole life IGNORING him.

This is a legitimate question. WHAT DID HE SAY  ?

I literally have no idea where all this vitriol is coming from.  I have long been aware of the guy but I've never been interested to hear him speak.  I assume there are terrible events and horrible things said....
WHAT ARE THEY ?

Edited by pubic_assistance
grammar

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

...I have been aware of the guy for most of my life, but his existence has always been mostly meaningless to me...

25 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

...Who's "defending him" ??

I said I've spent my whole life IGNORING him.

This is a legitimate question. WHAT DID HE SAY  ?...

Just because you, personally, ignore someone doesn't mean he didn't state some hateful lies about gays (and others) which ended up hurting many people. It's really not difficult to use google to look up some of these hateful lies:

64824699bd1b93.08889284.jpeg?strip=1&w=6
WWW.WAVY.COM

The religious right leader had a history offensive comments, particularly when it came to the LGBT community,

"...In 2001, he agreed with fellow Virginia evangelist Jerry Falwell that gay people, those who have abortions and others with “alternative lifestyles” helped lead to the 9/11 attacks, an argument about God’s wrath he’d later use with COVID-19.
Three years before, he warned people that there would be hurricanes as a result of the Gay Days celebration in Orlando. “I would warn Orlando that you’re right in the way of some serious hurricanes, and I don’t think I’d be waving those flags in God’s face if I were you,” he said on the 700 Club.
He claimed that God would destroy America after New York passed its Marriage Equality Act in 2011, and in 2019 said “the land will vomit you out” if the U.S. passes the Equality Act, which would add sexual orientation and gender identity to existing federal civil rights protections. “God will say, ‘I’ve had it with America. If you do this kind of stuff, I’m going to get rid of you as a nation.’”
In 2013, Robertson made the outrageous claim on air that gay people were in San Francisco were using rings to give people AIDS when they shake hands. “Really it is that kind of vicious stuff, which would be the equivalent of murder,” Robertson said in his remarks, which he later defended in a statement to the Atlantic magazine
....".

As preposterous as his statements were, he had millions of followers, mostly uneducated religious folk, and his words had impact. His words led to serious damage for many people, and fueled hatred. Of course, he asked for and received lots of money in this endeavor.

And to answer your question as to who's defending him, it's the usual circus of  @BOZO T CLOWN, @augustus, and @BSR.

Edited by Unicorn

1 hour ago, Lucky said:

Truce proposal: Pat Robertson, who was not an ally of the gay community, has died.

Oh, for crying out loud, we can all agree that Adolf Hitler, who was not an ally of the Jewish (or gay) community, has died. But there's a lot more to the story than that. Those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it. 

5 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Obviously.

So WHAT WERE THE LIES ?

Question Mark Response - Free image on Pixabay - Pixabay

So, you actually believe his crap that gays were responsible for 9/11, and that we were spreading HIV via special rings and handshakes???? Unbelievable!!

Edited by Unicorn

Just now, Unicorn said:

So, you actually believe his crap that gays were responsible for 9/11, and that we were spreading HIV via special rings and handshakes????

Again....

I've never paid any attention to the man.

So I don't "believe" anything. I am genuinely asking.

So... responsible for 9/11 and special rings ? Is that what this is all about ? Mind elaborating ?

39 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

...So I don't "believe" anything. I am genuinely asking.

So... responsible for 9/11 and special rings ? Is that what this is all about ? Mind elaborating ?

I'm genuinely dumbfounded because usually you're one of the more intelligent posters here. So PR makes a fortune by making hateful statements, claiming that acceptance of LGBT people is responsible for catastrophes such as 9/11 or hurricanes in Florida. Some people (mainly uneducated, obviously) believe him, and therefore feel they should reject gay people, lest they make God angry. Often this results in children either being thrown out of the house and/or sent for (harmful and traumatic) "conversion therapy." Even adults are shunned (and disinherited). Some of his followers even resort to violence. I have personally known many of his victims, including but very much not limited to my fiance.