Meal delivery

nate_sf

I'm looking to set up meal delivery for my parents. The two most important criteria is that the meals are fully prepared or mostly (not kits to assemble), and that there are low-sodium options.

I've looked at some of the usual suspects such as Hello Fresh and Blue Apron, but colleagues tell me the amount of prep involved with these kits is not insignificant. My mom has a hard time standing for long periods of time so I'm looking for something that requires minimal prep and can more or less just be heated up. My parents are here in the Bay Area if that makes any difference.

Any suggestions?

I've read good things, but have no personal knowledge:

Healthy Eating, Made Easy.

https://www.factor75.com/

never mind:  At this time, we do not offer low-sodium meals. If you are looking for the lowest possible sodium meals, simply click on the photo of each meal to determine the sodium content. Remember, you always have the full ability to update the meals coming to you every week!

Edited by samhexum

There is one called BistroMD that has meal plans adapted for various health issues.  They have a heart-healthy option, so it may be low-sodium.  

WWW.BISTROMD.COM

BistroMD diet plans make losing weight and eating healthy effortless. Get delicious chef-prepared diet meals delivered...

8 hours ago, TJnDB said:

My mom started Meals-on-Wheels about a month ago. It has both cold and hot meals.  The menu doesn't vary much but it seems to meet the needs and it's not that expensive.  It's worth trying since you can always cancel the service.

My father got meals on wheels for awhile.  It really filled a need at the time.  He had no interest in food and had lost a disturbing amount of weight.  The MOW food was OK, nothing great, but he liked it and it got him eating again.  He got tired of them and started to crave a more varied diet.  I told him I would cancel MOW, but if he stopped eating again, he was going to go back to MOW.  He kept eating.

Thank you everybody! These are great suggestions. We may try more than one. This gives a great place to start. 

I’m sure mom and dad will be grateful too, even if I can’t fully explain where I got the recommendations 😝

11 minutes ago, nate_sf said:

Thank you everybody! These are great suggestions. We may try more than one. This gives a great place to start. 

I’m sure mom and dad will be grateful too, even if I can’t fully explain where I got the recommendations 😝

I hope it works out.  It's a mofo when you have an aging parent with special dietary requirements who can't/won't fix their own meals. 

19 hours ago, samhexum said:

I'm sure you love your mom and are very proud of her, but she's lying to you.

Somebody else started Meals-on-Wheels a long time ago. 

I should have said My mom started USING Meals-on-Wheels.  She did not start the business.

10 hours ago, samhexum said:

Advertisement

I’m starting with Hello Fresh this weekend. We’ll see how it goes! They show the nutritional info for each meal so I was able to identify a few low sodium choices. But I expect this will be some trial and error. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/23/2023 at 11:41 AM, nate_sf said:

I'm looking to set up meal delivery for my parents. The two most important criteria is that the meals are fully prepared or mostly (not kits to assemble), and that there are low-sodium options.

I don't have an answer for you in terms of a meal delivery service, but what you wrote sure is heartwarming ☺️

I realized I never reported back on this...

My parents tried Hello Fresh for a couple of weeks but discontinued it because it involved too much time and energy preparing the meals. They liked that they didn't have to go grocery shopping, and they liked the novelty of the dishes and thought it was fun, but said it was still a lot of work to prepare the meals. Mom can't stand for long periods so it was difficult for her.

I took a couple of kits myself to try it out, and yes it's a fair amount of work to put the meals together. However it was interesting, some of the preparation was more involved than my usual day-to-day cooking, so I felt like I was learning something. It could be good for someone who wants to hone their cooking skills a bit.

So with Hello Fresh out of the picture, I turned to craigslist and found a chef to come and prepare meals a couple of times a week. It took a couple of tries. The first chef was a real primadonna and ended up quitting when we asked him to reduce the sodium content. But he referred us to someone else, and he's been great. His cooking is not fancy but really good, and he makes enough so there are leftovers for a couple more days. Plus he is sexy AF, and super charming. They're very happy with the arrangement. And if M&D are happy, I'm happy!

Find the best meal kit for your lifestyle 🍽️
  • 50x50_aaanortheast.png
    AAA Discounts & Rewards

AAA Discounts & Rewards

Someone cooking chicken and string beans.

Save time and money with delicious meals this fall.

Plan ahead and make mealtime easier with doorstep delivery. Enjoy easy-to-follow recipes with fresh, high-quality ingredients.

· Get 55% off your first box and FREE shipping

· Plus, 15% off your next 51 boxes!

Start saving

All discounts apply to new and existing customers.

Green Chef

A meal kit for every diet plan

Enjoy nutritionist-approved recipes featuring organic produce and premium proteins.

· Get 65% off your first box and FREE shipping

Start saving

Every Plate

Affordable, delicious meals

Delivers familiar, filling, pre-portioned ingredients with simple recipes at a great value.

· Get 75% off your first box and FREE shipping

Start saving

Factor_

Eating well, made simple

Fresh, never frozen, fully prepared meals arrive directly to your doorstep — ready to heat and eat in minutes.

· Get 55% off your first box and FREE shipping

Start saving

On 9/30/2023 at 8:09 PM, nate_sf said:

His cooking is not fancy but really good, and he makes enough so there are leftovers for a couple more days. Plus he is sexy AF, and super charming. 

So are you there each time he prepares meals? 😊

Have you asked him to show you some new cooking techniques? 😎

Are your parents asking you not to spend so much time in their kitchen? 🙃

On 4/23/2023 at 2:41 PM, nate_sf said:

I'm looking to set up meal delivery for my parents.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:31 PM, nate_sf said:

I’m starting with Hello Fresh this weekend. We’ll see how it goes! They show the nutritional info for each meal so I was able to identify a few low sodium choices. But I expect this will be some trial and error. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:09 PM, nate_sf said:

My parents tried Hello Fresh for a couple of weeks but discontinued it because it involved too much time and energy preparing the meals. They liked that they didn't have to go grocery shopping, and they liked the novelty of the dishes and thought it was fun, but said it was still a lot of work to prepare the meals. Mom can't stand for long periods so it was difficult for her.