PC asked to set up device that's not mine

jeezopete

Tonight when I woke up my computer a message popped up in the lower right hand corner of the screen saying something like, "Click to set up device Kyocera E4281." I did a google search on Kyocera E4281 and it is a flip phone. I haven't had a flip phone in I don't know how many years, and never this brand. Why would my computer ask me to add this phone in my set up? I don't share an internet connection with anyone. I live in a condo by myself and each unit is responsible for their own internet connections.

At first, I thought you might have opened your "Bluetooth and Devices" settings, but that would not ask you to connect in the lower right corner of the screen. The only other thing I can think of is your computer was trying to connect to that phone for wireless internet. Very strange.

1 hour ago, rvwnsd said:

The only other thing I can think of is your computer was trying to connect to that phone for wireless internet.

That's what I was thinking. I know when I connect a new device to my internet, several other networks show in the list, all locked. I'm assuming those belong to neighbors in connecting condos here. Maybe someone in my building has that flip phone & it tried to connect to my internet?

1 hour ago, jeezopete said:

That's what I was thinking. I know when I connect a new device to my internet, several other networks show in the list, all locked. I'm assuming those belong to neighbors in connecting condos here. Maybe someone in my building has that flip phone & it tried to connect to my internet?

I don't think you would have received a notification on your computer if someone wanted to connect to your wifi. My thought was your computer was trying to connect a neighbor's phone.

20 hours ago, jeezopete said:

Right, I didn't. I never click on anything that pops up on my screen. The strange thing about this one though, is that it wasn't on my browser. It popped up in the lower right hand corner of my desktop screen.

That's interesting.  A big blurb about data brokers popped up right in the middle of my desktop awhile ago, and I can't get rid of it for the life of me.  I've had to bring up another desk top.   😡

Interesting---had similar experiences in the last couple of weeks....coincidentally, both times were right after returning to my browser after signing out of Rentmen.  Complete deep virus and malware scans following the episodes found everything to be ok.

It sounds like your computer has Bluetooth Discoverability turned on.  This means your computer broadcasts it's existence so that you can more easily connect things such as phones, headphones, keyboards, etc.

You can use bluetooth, but turn off the discoverability so that other devices don't see you and accidentally (or intentionally) try to connect.  It does not really "hurt" anything by having it on other than you might have to reject some attempted connections.  It generally has nothing to do with what YOU are doing (such as browsing a website or etc).  That is just coincidental.  It's someone in proximity to you attempting to connect to the device (again intentionally or accidentally).  

If you tell me what version of windows you're using, I can give you a link to show you how to turn off bluetooth discovery.  

I think the following is relevant for Windows 11.  I don't have my Windows machine handy as I'm on my Mac for now.

If it does not work, let me know and I'll find different instructions:

Turn off Discoverability On Windows

On your Windows computer, you have the capacity to switch off discoverability completely. You can do this using a simple process that allows you to avoid other devices noticing that your computer is in the vicinity. Here’s how you can do this: 

1. On your Windows PC, find the Start button on the left-most side of the taskbar.
  2. When you click the taskbar, select the gear icon to go to the Settings page. 
  3. In the search bar, type out Bluetooth Settings.
  4. A new page will open up with Bluetooth options and features.
  5. Scroll down to the option ‘More Bluetooth Settings.’
  6. You will see the heading Discovery in the options tab.
  7. Under this heading, uncheck the toggle box next to Allow Bluetooth Devices to Find This Computer. 
  8. Select OK and confirm the changes to apply them.

Now, you can keep your Bluetooth connection on, but you will not be discoverable. That means other devices can’t find your computer or request to pair with it.