Seattle vs Denver vs Vancouver

socurious

29 minutes ago, socurious said:

Which city is the most beautiful to you and why? You can rank them by order by the way. 

I like Vancouver the best, because it is just across the river from Portland and so it has easy access to Portland's three fully nude male strip clubs, but without the drugged out homeless that's on every street and park in Portland.

12 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I like Vancouver the best, because it is just across the river from Portland and so it has easy access to Portland's three fully nude male strip clubs, but without the drugged out homeless that's on every street and park in Portland.

Vancouver is across the river from Portland Oregon? Huh?

4 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Maybe he is talking about Seattle. 

18 minutes ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

I was under the impression that Vancouver had a huge homelessness problem similar to Seattle or even San Francisco. 

• socurious changed the title to Seattle vs Denver vs Vancouver

Vancouver, BC has a beautiful setting - ocean and mountains and all that.  Some nice heritage buildings and great Asian cuisine choices.  I haven't lived there for quite some time, but relatives who still do have told me that the city is becoming increasingly dangerous compared to years gone by.  Some suburbs in particular.  There is a huge affordable housing shortage and the number of people living in their cars and on the streets is shocking.  Tent cities springing up in various areas - many of the people living in the tents with untreated addiction and mental health issues.  When I lived in BC more than ten years ago it was a nice place to be, but I thought it was a bit pricey for what you get.  I'm sure I would feel that even more if I lived there today.  The people are not particularly friendly - it was a difficult place to get to know people.  Yes, everyone is super polite and apologetic, but genuine warmth was often lacking.   At least that was my experience for what it is worth.  Also, for those who like museums and other cultural activities, Vancouver was a bit of a desert.

Denver only has mountains so it lacks the water/mountains combination that elevates the beauty of Seattle and Vancouver. That said, I think Denver has a slightly better climate. We have quite a lot of sunny days even in winter. I've been to the Pacific NW in the winter and the constant drizzle is pretty depressing in my opinion. But that does mean both Vancouver and Seattle are more "lush" and green. Denver can get pretty brown and dry by late summer.

All three have lots of homeless so there's no difference there in my opinion. 

I'm assuming we're talking about the summer. I'd give the edge to Vancouver, BC, though Seattle is quite nice as well. The Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, BC is a mess, and I don't understand why they don't do something about it. Vancouver, BC is by far the nicest city in Canada, and I'm at a complete loss to understand why all Canadians don't live there. I wouldn't mind living there, but I would choose suicide over living in any other city in Canada (OK, maybe I'd survive living in Victoria). For me, Denver is more of a place to go on one's way to someplace else (Estes Park, Breckenridge, etc.). 

13 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I'm assuming we're talking about the summer. I'd give the edge to Vancouver, BC, though Seattle is quite nice as well. The Lions Gate Bridge in Vancouver, BC is a mess, and I don't understand why they don't do something about it. Vancouver, BC is by far the nicest city in Canada, and I'm at a complete loss to understand why all Canadians don't live there. I wouldn't mind living there, but I would choose suicide over living in any other city in Canada (OK, maybe I'd survive living in Victoria). For me, Denver is more of a place to go on one's way to someplace else (Estes Park, Breckenridge, etc.). 

I disagree.  When comparing Canadian cities, I think Vancouver is only beautiful from afar.  I much prefer walking the streets of Toronto or Montreal.  I have no desire to ever go back to Vancouver.

19 minutes ago, Vegas777 said:

I disagree.  When comparing Canadian cities, I think Vancouver is only beautiful from afar.  I much prefer walking the streets of Toronto or Montreal.  I have no desire to ever go back to Vancouver.

I think one problem is that Vancouverites are so proud of their natural setting that the city itself has missed out on developing amazing architecture like Chicago and some other cities.  TBH I don't find Toronto to be that special either, though old Montreal speaks to me - probably because it is more European in style and feel.

5 hours ago, Vegas777 said:

Vancouver - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaVancouver, Canada - WorldAtlas

5 of the best neighborhoods in Vancouver - Lonely Planet

Best Canada Vancouver Day Trip from Seattle USA 2023

On 4/13/2023 at 8:39 PM, Unicorn said:

Hey, Montreal is nice. I love the feeling. Too bad is so cold...

Toronto is like another Chicago to me with pieces of Tokyo, Minnneapolis, NYC and something else. 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:20 AM, Vegas777 said:

Montreal is nice but they are always so many constructions all around the city center. I never truly understood why. Hopefully I will go back in the early summer. 

As a native Montrealer I understand what is going on with the construction. Montreal grew incredibly in tbe 1960's when all the current infrastructure was put in place. The subway, the highways which cut through old neighbourhoods, the airport expansion and new one, Mirabel, which failed, the Olympic stadium a few years later and countless other projects, like putting the main train station underground.

Now most of it except the subway and train station are being replaced. They are removing most of the overhead highway construction and installing an overhead light rail system for mass transit in its place. Many downdown streets are being torn up to install new viaducts to replace ones over a hundred years old. 

It's like an old house that was beautifully built in the 19th century, renovated in the mid 20th century, and now in need of a gut renovation again. But the bones of the old place are great. It has some of the nicest architecture in North America. Which makes walking around when the weather permits so nice.

Edited by Luv2play

35 minutes ago, Luv2play said:

Oh puleese. Today its 75 F and has been this way the last week. Give it a break with your misinformation. You sound like an ignorant American tourist that shows up in July with his skiis.

What's the nicest time to visit Montreal? I love when the weather is within the 65 to 70 F with clear sunny days. When it's on the 80s I can't avoid sweating when talking my usual walks.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:09 PM, Lucky said:

There's a city called Vancouver across the Columbia river in the state of Washington. 

Having said that I'm sure the OP meant Vancouver, BC.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:16 PM, socurious said:

I was under the impression that Vancouver had a huge homelessness problem similar to Seattle or even San Francisco. 

The lock the homeless who are truly insane in mental institutions just like we used to do. Putting them on the streets to save money creates even more problems. 

3 minutes ago, marylander1940 said:

There's a city called Vancouver across the Columbia river in the state of Washington. 

Having said that I'm sure the OP meant Vancouver, BC.

The lock the homeless who are truly insane in mental institutions just like we used to do. Putting them on the streets to save money creates even more problems. 

YOU'RE Back!!! (I hope you weren't in locked up in a mental institution in Canada.)

On 4/16/2023 at 4:00 PM, Luv2play said:

Oh puleese. Today its 75 F and has been this way the last week. Give it a break with your misinformation. You sound like an ignorant American tourist that shows up in July with his skiis.

MIC001

For natural beauty, I’d choose Seattle by a nose over Van. Where else, on a clear day, can you see two snow capped ranges—the Northern Cascades to the east and the Olympics to the west? Yes, there are the months of gloomy weather, but the summers are generally dry and sunny, with low humidity and pleasant temps. I’m on Whidbey and we get even less rain than Seattle because of the Olympic rain shadow. Of course, this morning it’s windy and 40.

I lived in Boulder for two years and loved it. Denver, being more inland, struck me as a Midwestern city with a mountain range in the distance.

Vancouver is also a stunning city. The homelessness there never strikes me as pervasive as in US West Coast cities. And Whistler isn’t all that far.

Edited by Pensant