Pedicures

ButchAtl

I've been getting pedicures from a cute Vietnamese guy at a nail salon for many years.  He has changed salons a couple of times over the years and I followed him.  However, its a bit of trip to his place now, and several times I have made inquireies at nail places closer to home.   Some of the larger one have both male and female workers.  It seems when I request a male provider, I am told "sorry, our men do not work of men" or some similar verbiage.   I really have nothing against women cutting my toenails, but everything being equal, I'd just as soon have a cute guy doing it than some woman.

Anybody else experience this?  Am I alone in my preference for a guy provider?  And, anyway, what would be the reason nail salons care , and restrict who can cut my toenails?   I don't understand the what the problem would be.   Other that my original nail salon,  it seems to be the case with most others where I have inquired. 

Edited by ButchAtl
spelling

I’ve never had a pedicure. Curious to try. I use a pumice stone on my feet and trim/file toenails myself with decent results. Never felt the urge to paint my nails, but not opposed either. Some of my clients get pedicures and/or paint their nails.

Having a man do it would be hot, but then I consider how much hard work it is and that this is anything but sexy for him. It’s easy for me to imagine considering my own job. I can’t believe some of them hunch over for so long on a regular basis. No wonder one of them is a client of mine.

He’s also Vietnamese. He initiated more with me on the table and then out of nowhere bit me down there. Like, hard. It made me bleed. Had to pause the session for a bandaid and resumed. He felt bad, decided to end it early and pay me. Haven’t heard from him again. Poor thing hasn’t had much experience.

In light of all this, I don’t care about gender when getting a pedicure. One day I will try it out.

My dermatologist told me not to use pumice stone on my feet, which I had done for years. It wasn't really working as I got older and my feet were showing signs of flaking skin despite the pumice treatment, which I did after a bath or shower. 

So on his recommendation I now apply skin cream to my feet after bathing and massage each foot for about 30 seconds. The results have been much better.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, Simon Suraci said:

I’ve never had a pedicure. Curious to try. I use a pumice stone on my feet and trim/file toenails myself with decent results. Never felt the urge to paint my nails, but not opposed either. Some of my clients get pedicures and/or paint their nails.

Having a man do it would be hot, but then I consider how much hard work it is and that this is anything but sexy for him. It’s easy for me to imagine considering my own job. I can’t believe some of them hunch over for so long on a regular basis. No wonder one of them is a client of mine.

He’s also Vietnamese. He initiated more with me on the table and then out of nowhere bit me down there. Like, hard. It made me bleed. Had to pause the session for a bandaid and resumed. He felt bad, decided to end it early and pay me. Haven’t heard from him again. Poor thing hasn’t had much experience.

In light of all this, I don’t care about gender when getting a pedicure. One day I will try it out.

The biting thing sounds dicey. It's probably a good thing he hasn't come back. 

For DIY pedicures, try using a 40% urea foot cream for a few days and a cheese grater foot file. Your feet will be like new. 

On 4/2/2023 at 11:49 PM, Simon Suraci said:

"I’ve never had a pedicure."  The prime reason being the fee charged.  

My manicurist owns her own shop and is the only one rendering manicures and pedicures.  I don't know what her current fee is for manicures, but during the "heated months" of the pandemic, I would give her $60 for her exemplary services.  

Her price for a pedicure is, I think, $100+, and since that's her charge-- I've forgone getting pedicures.

And for as gender-- I don't care but do prefer male physicians only. 

Edited by Axiom2001

On 4/12/2023 at 5:40 PM, Axiom2001 said:

Her price for a pedicure is, I think, $100+, and since that's her charge-- I've forgone getting pedicures.

Markets vary, of course, but that's a crazy price for a simple pedicure.  I get one every 5 weeks in NYC for $40 which includes a generous tip.

Your provider might be offering a "spa" treatment including polish for that price, but you might inquire about a basic pedicure.  Most places offer a manipedi combo for less than the two services separately.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:34 AM, robear said:

Markets vary, of course, but that's a crazy price for a simple pedicure.  I get one every 5 weeks in NYC for $40 which includes a generous tip.

Your provider might be offering a "spa" treatment including polish for that price, but you might inquire about a basic pedicure.  Most places offer a manipedi combo for less than the two services separately.

The fancy places charge big money for pedicures. Unfortunately, the polish is not the expensive part.