Monkeypox Vaccine, 2nd dose?

TonyDown

I want to ask a question of members that had the 1st dose of monkeypox vaccine. 

I do not want anyone's medical opinion, for example from health professionals. I am not asking anyone to surf the internet for answers.

Here is the question.

During your appointment, did the person that administered the vaccine tell you a 2nd dose is not needed it you've had the smallpox vaccine?

That is what I was told yesterday, that if I never had the smallpox vaccine, then I should return in late April for dose #2.  

Again, I am interested hearing from members that received the vaccine, and not interested in medical professional advice.   I hope that is clear.

29 minutes ago, TonyDown said:

I do not want anyone's medical opinion, for example from health professionals. I am not asking anyone to surf the internet for answers.

Here is the question.

During your appointment, did the person that administered the vaccine tell you a 2nd dose is not needed it you've had the smallpox vaccine?

That is what I was told yesterday, that if I never had the smallpox vaccine, then I should return in late April for dose #2.  

Again, I am interested hearing from members that received the vaccine, and not interested in medical professional advice.   I hope that is clear.

I wasn't told that either.  Got the second dose too.

9 hours ago, robear said:

No I was not told that. My history of smallpox vax was never part of the process, including intake information.

I was not told that either; however, my local health authority was administering first doses of the vaccine only to those without the smallpox vaccine in order to target those most at risk in the community first.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2023 at 1:13 PM, TonyDown said:

Here is the question.

I returned on time for the 2nd dose today, even though I did have the smallpox vaccine in the past.

Weighing the input from this thread and other available information, getting a 2nd dose made the most sense for me. 

Plus, there was this hot young latino doctor in form fitting scrubs working today.  Nice view.   Sigh!  I recommend that clinic.  😁

Edited by TonyDown

not interested in medical professional advice.   I hope that is clear.

Hi there Mr TonyDown,

I hope you are well.

And before I ask my question, be sure to know I am in no way telling you how to find answers, look for help at all, or live your best life.   

I didn't fully understand the above part of your request for how you  did not want medical advice.  But since I am I physician, I stayed out per your request cuz you were clear on not wanting medical advice.  Heck, I give (medical) advice all day long (and get paid for it).  I'm very much ok not giving out when not asked.  And, no I am not offended in not being asked for medical advice.  Not at all. 

21 hours ago, TonyDown said:

I returned on time for the 2nd dose today, even though I did have the smallpox vaccine in the past.

Weighing the input from this thread and other available information, getting a 2nd dose made the most sense for me. 

So... you actually... were looking for medical advice....

Why so adamant in refusing actual comments from the actual physicians who attend this site, but rather only from non-physician anonymous strangers?

Just curious.

Hope you are well.

Josh

On 4/22/2023 at 11:05 AM, josh282282 said:

...So... you actually... were looking for medical advice....

Why so adamant in refusing actual comments from the actual physicians who attend this site, but rather only from non-physician anonymous strangers?

Just curious...

Confuse-Quote.jpg?resize=706%2C219&ssl=1Ann Rule Quote: “Don't confuse me with the facts – I've already made up my

On 4/22/2023 at 11:05 AM, josh282282 said:

...So... you actually... were looking for medical advice....

Just curious...

My partner and I were listening to the song Creepin' by 21 Savage, Metro Boomin, and The Weeknd, on our way back from Vegas, where we went to a show by David Blaine. The chorus goes:

"...I don't wanna know, if you're playing me
Keep it on the low
Cause my heart can't take it anymore
And if you creeping, please don't let it show
Oh baby, I don't wanna know
..."

He commented "What kind of an idiot would rather believe a fantasy than the truth?". I thought about it briefly, then told him I could think of someone.

21 hours ago, Unicorn said:

My partner and I were listening to the song Creepin' by 21 Savage, Metro Boomin, and The Weeknd, on our way back from Vegas, where we went to a show by David Blaine. The chorus goes:

"...I don't wanna know, if you're playing me
Keep it on the low
Cause my heart can't take it anymore
And if you creeping, please don't let it show
Oh baby, I don't wanna know
..."

He commented "What kind of an idiot would rather believe a fantasy than the truth?". I thought about it briefly, then told him I could think of someone.

I didn't want the thread polluted with your nonsense.    It worked for my purposes. 

Just because you were a doctor is not that important.  Many do not consider you such an authority you expect we might.

Edited by TonyDown

1 hour ago, TonyDown said:

I didn't want the thread polluted with your nonsense.    It worked for my purposes. 

Just because you were a doctor is not that important.  Many do not consider you such an authority you expect we might.

Polluted with my nonsense? Unlike some people, my medical advice doesn't come out of my ass. My postings generally come with references to relevant scientific studies, actual statistics, and recommendations from panels of experts. Facts, in other words. Not wanting to have one's ideas "polluted" with facts simply represents denial, which is one of the most childish forms of defense mechanisms. And you're also factually wrong when you state that I was a doctor. I'm still a licensed physician and surgeon. 

#psychiatry from My Notes for USMLE

20 hours ago, Unicorn said:

My postings generally come with references to relevant scientific studies, actual statistics, and recommendations from panels of experts. Facts, in other words.

HI Unicorn!

I just want to thank you for all your contributions to the Mens Health forum where you have contributed such excellent medical advice that is supported by good scientific evidenced medicine.  I have come to look forward to your medical posts where you really explain in an articulate fashion the medical views of our esteemed medical community.  I agree that you present recommendations with a lot of data to support it and its a treat for me as a physician to read them.  You consistently contribute in the forum and thats awesome.  A lot of gay/bi guys are benefiting from your input. They may not post a response or a thank you to you, but I'm sure they are here!  Please continue. 

21 hours ago, TonyDown said:

I HAVE MADE A MISTAKE

I originally felt that since the OP requested physicians stay out of this discussion, and as I'm physician, I should stay out of this discussion.

But I have discovered, boy, was I wrong!

To leave the most knowledgeable potential contributors (MDs) out of a medical question is a foolish quest and one I should not enable.

AND, for every one person with a medical question that gets posted here, there are probably 10 more guys thinking the same question.  And those 10 are wanting Answers.  What if one of those guys want a medical opinion from a honest to goodness MD?  How can one poster demand all the doctors follow such a peculiar request to Keep Out?

It's to those that I will consider in the future.

SO, if anyone (and I'm also looking at you, TonyDown) posts a question here on Mens Health, even if you definitively ask physicians to stay out, I will very possibly ignore the stay-out-request and put in my medical two-cents (it the spirit so moves me).

Why?  Cuz this is a mens health PUBLIC FORUM.

If you dont want the public to respond, dont post here. 

Love, hugs, and good health to all, including TonyDown!!!

Josh

PS  TO EVERYONE:  TonyDown reacted to my post from 4/22/23 up above with a "party" sign.  I have no idea what that means.  Does anyone know??  And thank you to the others who reacted with a positive sign: luv 'ya!!  :)