Patricia Routledge is 94! Happy birthday Hyacinth!

Stormy

She's awesome - the whole cast of Keeping Up Appearances was great, but she was the heart of that show.  And then playing Hetty Wainthrop in that mystery series.  But not many people remember she also played Clinty Clintridge opposite Sidney Poitier in To Sir With Love.  She was not a bad looking woman in her day...

image.png.4d264a6095a09043ec3ad415cba19fbb.pngimage.png.56ec7c74dcb9b9c436aeb3a2382138cd.png 

image.png.9d39720f315e75e78be3cc4594a7f58d.png

4 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Daisy was always my favorite. 

Judy Cornwell brought such warmth and kindness to the character. 

Daisy and Onslow were favourites of mine. Judy went on to play a totally different type of character on “EastEnders” - she got rave reviews for it too, I think everyone shocked to see “Daisy” as this evil mother Queenie Trott. 

3 hours ago, Luv2play said:

That sounds like Peggy Wood singing. She played the Abbess in Sound of Music and sang that number.  

It’s definitely Dame Pat. She had a lot of legit vocal training early on in her pursuits. Had she desired, she could have made it in opera
https://bit.ly/3xy1DLC

22 hours ago, Luv2play said:

That sounds like Peggy Wood singing. She played the Abbess in Sound of Music and sang that number.  

Actually, although Peggy Wood was an extremely talented soprano, by the time Sound of Music was filmed, her singing was dubbed by Marni Nixon because Ms. Wood’s voice was way past its prime.

BTW, Marni Nixon actually had screen time herself in Sound of Music as one of the lesser nuns!

Patricia Routledge is an amazing artist. I ran across a TV production (BBC?) of Pirates of Penzance a few years ago where she sang the socks off the character of Ruth, Frederick’s nurse, an “older woman” who practically raised him and secretly was enamored of the boy! The character Angela Lansbury played in the Rex Smith, Linda Ronstadt movie.

TruHart1 😎

2 hours ago, TruHart1 said:

Actually, although Peggy Wood was an extremely talented soprano, by the time Sound of Music was filmed, her singing was dubbed by Marni Nixon because Ms. Wood’s voice was way past its prime.

BTW, Marni Nixon actually had screen time herself in Sound of Music as one of the lesser nuns!

Patricia Routledge is an amazing artist. I ran across a TV production (BBC?) of Pirates of Penzance a few years ago where she sang the socks off the character of Ruth, Frederick’s nurse, an “older woman” who practically raised him and secretly was enamored of the boy! The character Angela Lansbury played in the Rex Smith, Linda Ronstadt movie.

TruHart1 😎

Very interesting information.  I never realized that Marni Nixon's voice was big enough for the singing of Climb Every Mountain.  

Apparently, I missed a great deal of Marni Nixon's talent:

Edited by sync

2 hours ago, sync said:

Very interesting information.  I never realized that Marni Nixon's voice was big enough for the singing of Climb Every Mountain.  

Apparently, I missed a great deal of Marni Nixon's talent: …

Marni Nixon was the singing voice for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, and Natalie Wood in West Side Story.

TruHart1 😎

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

I saw her in the musical Cabaret iin a Summer theater near Boston

Sheplayed i the landladies.

I have very vague memories of Marnie Nixon as the lead in a TV show that was sort of a knock-off of Sesame Street with puppets and stuff.  I don't think it was widely distributed and it would have been in the late 70s or so.