He knew the way to San Jose - Burt Bacharach has died

CuriousByNature

8 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

Burt Bacharach has died

8 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

His songs were the backdrop to my youth. 

7 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

a stunning amount of well-known songs and legendary melodies...

1 hour ago, misterhumphries said:

I've got "The Look of Love" and "Walk on By" going through my head at the thought of Mr Bachrach

Big Carpenters flashbacks today (for everyone, I'm sure).

12 hours ago, misterhumphries said:

A major lyric talent. He wrote songs that we all know in one form or another. At least he lived a good long time.

I've got "The Look of Love" and "Walk on By" going through my head at the thought of Mr Bachrach

If I'm not mistaken, Burt wrote the music to all of those great songs, not the lyrics.  The lyrics were mostly written by Hal David.

On 2/9/2023 at 12:39 PM, azdr0710 said:

a stunning amount of well-known songs and legendary melodies......he, Hal David, and Dionne Warwick made a fantastic team......I've been humming "This Guy's In Love With You" all morning.....

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/burt-bacharach-composer-top-10-hits-dies-94-rcna14833

Such a wonderfully talented composer.  Didn't he write songs for Barbara too?

18 hours ago, misterhumphries said:

A major lyric talent. He wrote songs that we all know in one form or another. At least he lived a good long time.

2 of Dionne Warwick favorites!

2 hours ago, Luv2play said:

Hard to believe 40 years has gone by.

Yes, so true.  The Carpenters were one of my favs growing up.  Such a sweet, natural tone in Karen's voice.  She came across so sincere.  You never know what lurks within.  Certainly didn't look like a troubled soul.  Imagine how Richard must have felt after her passing.

1 hour ago, WilliamM said:

In the 1950s  Burt conducted the orchestra for Marlene Deitrich's  night club appearances.

Marlene was not one of our  great singers, in the opinion of Judy Garland in an interview with Jack Parr 

See the CD : Deitrich  in Rio

Dietrich was mainly known for her work in films, first in Europe and then in Hollywood. She entertained the troops during WWII by singing and being German didn't seem to dim her popularity with the troops who were fighting the Germans.

She teamed up with Noel Coward in Vegas and appeared in such places as Toronto's Imperial Room at the Royal York Hotel. She was often drunk by this time but soldiered on.

Bacharach worked with her early in his career. He probably learned a few things from her.

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

In the 1950s  Burt conducted the orchestra for Marlene Deitrich's  night club appearances.

Marlene was not one of our  great singers, in the opinion of Judy Garland in an interview with Jack Parr 

See the CD : Deitrich  in Rio

He talked about Deitrich in his book "Anyone Who Had a Heart"

We were in the front row left side.  10 years ago in Santa Monica.

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

Dietrich was mainly known for her work in films, first in Europe and then in Hollywood. She entertained the troops during WWII by singing and being German didn't seem to dim her popularity with the troops who were fighting the Germans.

She teamed up with Noel Coward in Vegas and appeared in such places as Toronto's Imperial Room at the Royal York Hotel. She was often drunk by this time but soldiered on.

Bacharach worked with her early in his career. He probably learned a few things from her.

In Rio, Marlene gives a charming introduction  Bachrach before singing I've Grown Accustomed to her face.

She says I wish he was my compaser too, : He's everyone's composer,;

48 minutes ago, azdr0710 said:

jeez, looked in at this thread after a few days and discovered two more incredible songs he and David wrote ("Alfie" and "One Less Bell....").....

incredible talents......

I’ve always had a soft spot for “One Less Bell…”

One less bell to answer
One less egg to fry
One less man to pick up after
I should be happy
But all I do is cry

😢😣