Alec Baldwin charged with manslaughter

augustus

Good news.  People don't know many things about Baldwin's negligence in this matter.  He was producer of the film and hired non-professionals based on family connections, allowed live ammunition to be used in prop guns when not filming, actually pointed a gun (that he did not inspect before holstering) at another human with his finger on the trigger, and allowed loose (and highly visible) gun handling safety practices by the armorer on a daily basis with no oversight.   On top of that, he can't keep his story straight or his mouth shut.  Like most venal people, he believes things are never his fault.  The irony here is anti-gun activist Baldwin shot and killed a woman and he did it without pulling a trigger, according to him.  

15 hours ago, augustus said:

.....he allowed live ammunition to be used in prop guns when not filming, actually pointed a gun (that he did not inspect before holstering) at another human with his finger on the trigger,

Thanks for sharing.

I wasn't really following the story but was a little perplexed when I saw the headline.

That information makes more sense of the verdict.

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

...That information makes more sense of the verdict.

Verdict? The man hasn't been convicted yet! Perhaps we should let the facts come out before coming to a verdict. On the surface, it sure looks bad for Baldwin, but all of the facts aren't out there. It's possible he gave out the correct instructions, but that others didn't follow those instructions. 

6 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

This particular accident may lead to a ban on live ammunition on film sets (It serves no essential function) and that would be a good thing. 

Absolutely.

I can't imagine WHY anyone would keep live ammunition around a movie set except for the possibility that you're an irresponsible child who wants to  play cowboy in between takes.

On 1/20/2023 at 3:02 AM, augustus said:

Good news.  People don't know many things about Baldwin's negligence in this matter.  He was producer of the film and hired non-professionals based on family connections, allowed live ammunition to be used in prop guns when not filming, actually pointed a gun (that he did not inspect before holstering) at another human with his finger on the trigger, and allowed loose (and highly visible) gun handling safety practices by the armorer on a daily basis with no oversight.   On top of that, he can't keep his story straight or his mouth shut.  Like most venal people, he believes things are never his fault.  The irony here is anti-gun activist Baldwin shot and killed a woman and he did it without pulling a trigger, according to him.  

That family connection was the daughter of a very well known Armorer. The dipship daughter did have some credits to her name. It was her responsibility as the lead Armorer to make sure the guns had blanks. 

The right is awfully anxious to tar and feather Baldwin. No doubt because he's perceived as a east coast liberal who made fun of their orange god on SNL. 

1 hour ago, caliguy said:

That family connection was the daughter of a very well known Armorer. The dipship daughter did have some credits to her name. It was her responsibility as the lead Armorer to make sure the guns had blanks. 

The right is awfully anxious to tar and feather Baldwin. No doubt because he's perceived as a east coast liberal who made fun of their orange god on SNL. 

I agree here.  I see clear culpability on the part of the armorer.  Where the guilt lies for Baldwin is much less clear to me.  Let's see what the facts of the trial show.  

Why is this thread not in the Politics forum where it belongs? 

I haven't seen enough information in the news reports to have a strong opinion one way or the other on Baldwin's guilt. Certainly, the armorer bears primary responsibility. Presumably, she was hired expressly to prevent such tragedies. I don't have enough information at this time to say whether or not Baldwin also bears responsibility. I don't think the facts are laid out yet. 

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I don't have enough information at this time to say whether or not Baldwin also bears responsibility.

The one suspicious detail, I picked up from reading a few articles is the vague mention in every article about "live ammunition" being on set.

If you're using REAL guns as props, the mere presence of live ammo on set sounds "off" to me.

So I'm guessing Baldwin's guilt is going to be based in how much responsibility he bears for making the decision to allow live ammo be included on the set.

19 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Verdict? The man hasn't been convicted yet! Perhaps we should let the facts come out before coming to a verdict. On the surface, it sure looks bad for Baldwin, but all of the facts aren't out there. It's possible he gave out the correct instructions, but that others didn't follow those instructions. 

To be fair, a few days ago you assumed Julian Sands would die. You counted the days he "lived" after his  most recent birthday (65 th I believe?

6 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

So I'm guessing Baldwin's guilt is going to be based in how much responsibility he bears for making the decision to allow live ammo be included on the set.

I don't think we know that yet. Maybe the armorer brought in live ammunition against Baldwin's explicit instructions.

20 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I don't think we know that yet.

That's what I said.

Every article is vague about the issue...but every article mentions it WITHOUT discussing WHY.

As I mentioned before, one potential scenario is that the boys were playing cowboy in between scenes.

If Baldwin was part of that playtime, he may bear some of the responsibility and this may be why he is charged.