European subways are so much prettier than ours

samhexum

On 12/13/2022 at 12:21 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I didn't say unsafe things aren't happening, but that I've never felt unsafe personally. 

I'm a big guy. People don't usually target me and tend to leave me alone in these sort of situations. 

I understand. I like that you are a big guy :)

Anyway, I still think that most NYers have felt personally unsafe on the subway at least once.

On 12/15/2022 at 9:33 AM, RadioRob said:

I’m just literally landed at DCA to head home. Spent the last few days with friends near MSP.  I’ll create a thread and share some pictures once I get home and settled. This will be my first time home since Thanksgiving!  (I hope I still remember the place!)

If you have by now found your way home, that's a start.

On 12/13/2022 at 12:21 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

I didn't say unsafe things aren't happening, but that I've never felt unsafe personally. 

I'm a big guy. People don't usually target me and tend to leave me alone in these sort of situations. 

Mentally ill drug addicts don't have a lot of mental faculty to size up their victims first.

On 12/11/2022 at 9:00 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

Eh. The NYC subway is a right of passage and a part of life in the city.

It ain't fancy, but it gets the job done and almost universally faster than trying to get an Uber from the LES to midtown in less than a half hour. 

I've never felt unsafe riding.

Your mileage may vary ...

4 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

I don't remember the subways in St  Petersburg, Russia. 

I believe it was there that the escalators down to the platforms were quite long.  It might've been Moscow, but I don't think so.  I can check the videotape of that trip of I ever get ambitious (which means I won't).

Actually, I was never in St  Petersburg.  It was still Leningrad until a few days after I was there.

17 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Having been on the tube's Elizabeth line a lot this past week, let me reiterate how beautiful a job they did on it. 

It's just so damned clean. 

And there's strong wifi.

It is fabulous. It ought to be though because it cost £25 billion to build.

Pity about the wifi though, on the older parts of the tube it’s kind of nice to put your phone away and just watch people or read a book. Of course one would never interact or talk with a stranger on the tube, NEVER!…. even if someone is completely naked sitting next to you one just carries on as if nothing is happening. 

Reminds me of a time on the Piccadilly line late one evening. Carriage was half full, a couple got on at Leicester Square. They were quite well lubricated (drunk) and proceeded to kiss vigorously as they stood in the centre by doors. As the doors closed and the train pulled away she went down on her partner…clearly sucking him off. My fellow passengers exchanged a few glances, but no one said anything. Some people didn’t even notice what was happening. We were going eastbound and just before the train reached the next station the girl had very proficiently brought him to a climax, tucked his cock back in his trousers, wiped her face on his t shirt and stood up as they both exited the train at Covent Garden. 

As the train door closed behind the amorous couple an old guy next to me said “oh I don’t know why they didn’t walk that, it’s much quicker to walk from Leicester Square to Covent Garden”. 

London at its finest.

1 hour ago, Tygerscent said:

The subways, train stations… all so much more high end and rather well maintained~ I think also maybe they rely on public transportation more in general and it’s a matter of who owns and manages these facilities~ 

Follow the $$$

Remember to take higher/lower levels of taxation of all types into account when comparing services.

7 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Follow the $$$

Remember to take higher/lower levels of taxation of all types into account when comparing services.

Remember that on average, the cost to own/operate your own car in the US is more than $10,500 a year according to AAA.

In most of Europe, car ownership is definitely not necessary. Personally, I'd gladly save the money I put into my car this year (nearly $7K for a new transmission) if my job allowed me to ditch the car. 

Edited by keroscenefire