Any of you use VPN?

There's this airline reviewer on YouTube who pushes use of VPN. I've never used it, and I'm wondering how well it works. Will it slow things down? Speed things up? I remember, for example, that when I've been in Europe, I can't access my subscription to the Los Angeles Times, and some other websites. It sounds like a good deal, but I'm curious to hear of others' experience before I take the plunge.

Get Surfshark VPN at https://Surfshark.deals/josh - Enter promo code JOSH for 83% off and 3 extra months for free!

Edited by Unicorn

20 hours ago, Unicorn said:

There's this airline reviewer on YouTube who pushes use of VPN. I've never used it, and I'm wondering how well it works. Will it slow things down? Speed things up? I remember, for example, that when I've been in Europe, I can't access my subscription to the Los Angeles Times, and some other websites. It sounds like a good deal, but I'm curious to hear of others' experience before I take the plunge.

Get Surfshark VPN at https://Surfshark.deals/josh - Enter promo code JOSH for 83% off and 3 extra months for free!

It's part of my Norton subscription and I never notice it except for the occasional time it can't make a wifi connection to turn on and I can't get online until it does.  But that doesn't happen often & usually takes only a minute or two to resolve itself.

I'm technologically illiterate, so I can't give any better details about the situation.  

Try it with the deep discount.  What's the worst that can happen?  If you don't like it, uninstall it, and you'll only be out a few bucks.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

I use ExpressVPN and think it's a good part of "online hygiene," together with a firewall, virus blocker, popup blocker, etc.  It doesn't impact my throughput in any noticeable way, although it's lately messing with my torrent client, so that's a problem to be resolved. Be sure you choose one of the big ones with plenty of transmission points, check cnet.com or pcmag.com for informed comparisons.  Occasionally I have to turn it off to do a bank transaction or whatever because they validate my ISP, but that's easy.

9 hours ago, LIguy said:

I use Private Internet Access....been using it for several years now however many websites especially ones using Google ads will not load until I turn it off.

Is that the same as VPN, or is it something different? If it's different, what's the difference?

Edited by Unicorn

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Is that the same as VPN, or is it something different? If it's different, what's the difference?

It's a VPN application. Members have been mentioning the names of commercial VPN applications that they use: ExpressVPN, Norton Secure VPN, and Private Internet Access (PIA VPN). I've used ExpressVPN for about 12 years on all my devices: laptops, iPad, cellphones. One subscription enables you to use it on multiple devices.

Other VPN apps include Surfshark, ProtonVPN, AtlasVPN, and so on. 

Edited by Marc in Calif

I'm over halfway through my 2-year subscription to SurfShark.  It mostly works fine on my laptops, but sometimes I have to disable it to get things working on my Android phone.  I always select the fastest server unless I'm reading RM reviews.  I don't think it adds much as far as security.  I doubt I'll renew.

I’m also a NordVPN customer; it solves many problems related to living in Europe but helping elderly parent in Phoenix for various deliveries (Fry's, Walmart, CVS, ...) and appointments.   I've not noticed any performance degradation when it's running.    

It's really easy to use - when I need my browser to behave as if I was in Phoenix - I open the VPN app, choose Phoenix server... and that's it... everything behaves like I'm in Phoenix.   When done I disconnect in the app (and then close it), and everything goes back to normal (whatever normal is). 

Edited by keefer

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

I only use a VPN when I travel since that is the time when I might be using public wifi's which includes the ones in hotels.  Since I have a cable modem, it has anti-viral and firewalls internally I don't feel I need it at home.

Yes, being safe on public Wi-Fi is a primary reason to use a VPN app.

But people also use VPN to help mask their real location on certain websites — for a variety of reasons. And people use VPN when using mobile data. 

12 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

Starting this week, my Express VPN app has had companyofmen.org blocked through the firewall as spam.

So I have to disable Express VPN, get on companyofmen, and then enable the VPN again. My usual VPN location is listed as California.

There must be something in the settings that is causing this.  I also use ExpressVPN and I access companyofmen with no problem.

One possibility is in the "settings" under "advanced" activate "Disable browser built-in password manager when RoboForm extension is installed."

Edited by sync

27 minutes ago, Marc in Calif said:

Yes, being safe on public Wi-Fi is a primary reason to use a VPN app.

But people also use VPN to help mask their real location on certain websites — for a variety of reasons. And people use VPN when using mobile data. 

I'm sure...I personally don't do anything online that requires me to hide my location.