Reservations Required?

Vegas_Millennial

Are there any famous must-see museums which require advanced reservations?  (Not just suggested reservations).  I am particularly interested in Vienna and London.  I will spend 5 nights in each city this summer, and would rather just show up to one museum each day and not have to reserve everything in advance.

In the US, I only know of:

Los Angeles:  The Getty Villa in Malibu requires reservations in order to manage parking

DC:  The White House requires reservations & background checks months in advance

New York:  The UN requires reservations.  The Statue of Liberty requires reservations, selling out months in advance.  The New York Transit museum in Brooklyn requires reservations, but this might be temporary for caronavirus.

Edited by Vegas_nw1982
Added museums

4 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

Are there any famous must-see museums which require advanced reservations?  (Not just suggested reservations).  I am particularly interested in Vienna and London.  I will spend 5 nights in each city this summer, and would rather just show up to one museum each day and not have to reserve everything in advance.

Los Angeles:  The Getty Villa in Malibu requires reservations in order to manage parking

DC:  The White House requires reservations & background checks months in advance

New York:  The UN requires reservations.  The Statue of Liberty requires reservations, selling out months in advance.

I've been to London and Vienna and have visited most of the major museums.  I don't recall ever needing a reservation, but that was pre-pandemic.

In Vienna I would also recommend visiting the various cafes - the tortes are unbelievable!

The Detroit Institute of Arts says tickets should be reserved in advance.

https://dia.org/visit#:~:text=Admission tickets should be reserved in advance.&text=Call (313) 833-7900 for tickets by phone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Institute_of_Arts

The Art Institute of Chicago requires advance reservations.

https://www.artic.edu/visit

Edited by bashful

12 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

I've been to London and Vienna and have visited most of the major museums.  I don't recall ever needing a reservation, but that was pre-pandemic.

In Vienna I would also recommend visiting the various cafes - the tortes are unbelievable!

Some things that might need ticket reservations are any popular exhibitions that are not covered by the cost of general admission...  The museum website should indicate if a reserved/timed ticket is required.

7 hours ago, bashful said:

The Art Institute of Chicago requires advance reservations.

https://www.artic.edu/visit

I went to the Art Institute of Chicago last year (post Pandemic), and reservations were not required.

The website is very misleading.  I re-read and it says "Reservations are required for touchless entry".  They are completely silent on the fact that reservations are not required if you don't mind touching money and tickets.  The website says they honor City Pass with a skip the line opportunity.  Now why would there be a line if reservations are required?

But thanks for sharing.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:53 PM, Vegas_nw1982 said:

New York:  The UN requires reservations.  The Statue of Liberty requires reservations, selling out months in advance.  The New York Transit museum in Brooklyn requires reservations, but this might be temporary for caronavirus.

I would check with any museum you plan on visiting. For example, there are lots in museums in LA that now require reservations, including the main Getty in the Sepulveda Pass and the Huntington. Always good to check before assuming...

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

I understand the need for reservations when a new museum opens up or for a special event but I think in most cases is unnecessary and is also annoying having to log in, book a specific time instead of just show up at the museum as we used to do. 

I'm visiting Paris in a few weeks and the Louvre time slot tickets were booked 2 months out. I booked a small tour of the Louvre instead which is handy, but way more costly.  I guess I should have planned earlier.

I admit to being something of a museum addict. I belong to 8 museums in NYC. The benefit is that I can just show up and go when I want on a whim. However when I travel it becomes a whole other process. Last October I was in Rome and wanted to visit the Vatican Museum and the Borghese. Both required making advance reservations and the museum websites were sold out so it required using one of the many tour companies that sell timed tickets at an added price. The Borghese was worth it but the Vatican visit was one of the worst museum experiences of my life. The crowds were staggering and I hated every minute of it. Seeing the Sistine Chapel at the end helped but I’ve cautioned everyone I know to not even bother. The lines to visit St Peter’s Basilica were 2 hours wait time in plus 90 degrees. I didn’t even bother. I’ve been there before.

This coming September I’ll be in a Paris. I’m seriously thinking of skipping the Louvre all together. There are many other less popular museums to visit. On the one hand I’m glad that museums have become so popular. Support the arts! Yay!
But sadly major museums have become Disneyland popular and that makes for a less than aesthetic experience in my estimation. The days of just showing up at the door at the last minute seem to be over. 

9 hours ago, cany10011 said:

I'm visiting Paris in a few weeks and the Louvre time slot tickets were booked 2 months out.

Thanks for the heads up! I’m going to be in Paris this summer and the concept of limited, reserved, timed tickets never even occurred to me. Can you see me on a guided tour at the Louvre? "No, We are NOT stopping to look at the Mona Lisa. You dipshits….you should have done that in college! Keep moving!…We only have 8 hours left and we still have 57 galleries to go!"

I don’t think it would end well….LMAO. 

2 hours ago, nycman said:

Thanks for the heads up! I’m going to be in Paris this summer and the concept of limited, reserved, timed tickets never even occurred to me. Can you see me on a guided tour at the Louvre? "No, We are NOT stopping to look at the Mona Lisa. You dipshits….you should have done that in college! Keep moving!…We only have 8 hours left and we still have 57 galleries to go!"

I don’t think it would end well….LMAO. 

Have been to the Louvre many times too, i'm doing it on one of the last days there, just because i love museums :) Going to the Vermeer exhibit first in Amsterdam next week.

Edited by cany10011

3 hours ago, foxy said:

I admit to being something of a museum addict. I belong to 8 museums in NYC. The benefit is that I can just show up and go when I want on a whim. However when I travel it becomes a whole other process. Last October I was in Rome and wanted to visit the Vatican Museum and the Borghese. Both required making advance reservations and the museum websites were sold out so it required using one of the many tour companies that sell timed tickets at an added price. The Borghese was worth it but the Vatican visit was one of the worst museum experiences of my life. The crowds were staggering and I hated every minute of it. Seeing the Sistine Chapel at the end helped but I’ve cautioned everyone I know to not even bother. The lines to visit St Peter’s Basilica were 2 hours wait time in plus 90 degrees. I didn’t even bother. I’ve been there before.

This coming September I’ll be in a Paris. I’m seriously thinking of skipping the Louvre all together. There are many other less popular museums to visit. On the one hand I’m glad that museums have become so popular. Support the arts! Yay!
But sadly major museums have become Disneyland popular and that makes for a less than aesthetic experience in my estimation. The days of just showing up at the door at the last minute seem to be over. 

Last time I was in Rome was during the jubilee year (2020- next one is 2025) and went through the holy door at St Peters. I'm not even catholic, but it was a neat experience to enter the porta sacra in the basilicas in Rome. 

In those days, one had to call the Borghese for tickets as there was no real internet presence. Love the jewel box of paintings and sculptures. It was a feast for the senses. 

Edited by cany10011

It can be a blessing and a hinderance.  Yes you get your time scheduled, some places like the Eiffel Tower are better if you prebook as you dont have to join a long line - but you are restricted to the hour that you book for.

We had tickets for Monet's Garden - the Seine was in flood and while the garden was not flooded they decided to close the garden, so we wasted time going when we could not get in - eventually we got a refund.

Places Like Buckingham Palace require a ticket - others like Balmoral or Sandringham you can just walk up and go in after paying the entrance fee

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, marylander1940 said:

https://gostateparks.hawaii.gov/diamondhead/reservation-details

Reservations for a museum... but to visit a crater? This is too much, why don't they just charge an entry fee when folks line up at the entrance instead of all this unnecessary bureaucracy. 

This is a timely post, as I will be in Hawaii in a few weeks and would like to visit Diamond Head.  When reading your post, it appears that reservations are recommended but not required.  It says at certain peak times entry may be denied, not always.  This is similar to the art museum in Chicago which encourages reservations up front, but people are still allowed to wait in the physical queue to buy tickets.

I'll take my chances and visit Diamond Head without a reservation.  If I happen to visit on one of the busiest times, then I would rather come back another day anyway and not fight the crowds.

Thanks for the info!

8 hours ago, Vegas777 said:

This is a timely post, as I will be in Hawaii in a few weeks and would like to visit Diamond Head.  When reading your post, it appears that reservations are recommended but not required.  It says at certain peak times entry may be denied, not always.  This is similar to the art museum in Chicago which encourages reservations up front, but people are still allowed to wait in the physical queue to buy tickets.

I'll take my chances and visit Diamond Head without a reservation.  If I happen to visit on one of the busiest times, then I would rather come back another day anyway and not fight the crowds.

Thanks for the info!

They won't let you in without a reservation. Also good luck trying to see the Arizona memorial unless you get the tickets long time before.

Edited by marylander1940

For those who enjoy visiting homes converted to museums that display an art collection (and you like modern art), you must go to the Weisman House in Holmby Hills when you’re in Los Angeles. Reservations required. Because of limited parking, tours are very intimate and they make your party carpool. If you gather 10 friends you’ll probably have a private tour. Led by very knowledgeable docents. I’m pretty certain it was free when I went. 

On 11/30/2022 at 3:53 PM, Vegas777 said:

Are there any famous must-see museums which require advanced reservations? 

Absolutely. Smaller museums try to prevent crowding by requiring a reservation of an arrival time. Most are not very strict about that time slot being exact if you arrive a little early or late ..but you must have the reservation or make one a the door and return later if it's busy.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent experiences:

Amsterdam:

The Rijksmuseum. Not really hard to get, but you should get them a week before. 

The Van Gogh Museum. Super hard to get. Plan on getting them at least a month in advance.

The Hague: 

The Mauritshuis Museum. Same at the Rijks. Not super hard but plan a week ahead to be safe. 
And god knows there’s nothing else to do in The Hague, so make sure you’ve got tickets.

London:

The National Gallery. Walked in. No problem. 

If you go to the Karl Lagerfeld exhibit at the Met you have to scan a QR code and join a virtual line. There’s something like a 3 hour waiting list to get in. If you’re a member like me the wait time is half. However I’m sure I looked like a very grouchy old man about this since I’m a long time member.  I complained to the woman checking people’s phones. She took one look at me and said “go right in”.  I smiled thinking sometimes it pays to be a grouchy old man.