Getting shredded to 15-18% body fat?

Alex93108

I am having a sort of mid life crisis if you will ( mid 40s) and I would like to drop down to 15-18% body fat. I am currently at 28%.  I am have big frame, broad shouldered. I don't mind doing the work, changing my habits. If you be nice if members could provide me with some direction.  I could hire a trainer for this but prefer to do my research and get this done right. 

I live in NYC, though I travel at lot ( the UK and California primarily). Lead a very active lifestyle, I walk, climb mountains, and have access to places like the Equinox for workouts, and I also have a job that's is flexible. 

I know a lot of OF models have been using apps like Fitbod to design their workouts, which I am doing.

Any guidance would be appreciated. thanks. 

Edited by jetlow

24 minutes ago, jetlow said:

I am having a sort of mid life crisis if you will ( mid 40s) and I would like to drop down to 15-18% body fat. I am currently at 28%.  I am have big frame, broad shouldered. I don't mind doing the work, changing my habits. If you be nice if members could provide me with some direction.  I could hire a trainer for this but prefer to do my research and get this done right. 

I live in NYC, though I travel at lot ( the UK and California primarily). Lead a very active lifestyle, I walk, climb mountains, and have access to places like the Equinox for workouts, and I also have a job that's is flexible. 

I know a lot of OF models have been using apps like Fitted to design their workouts, which I am doing.

I would suggest paying particular attention to your diet, in addition to your workouts. That has always been the hardest part for me - especially when I travel and have to attend business related events/dinners etc. 

34 minutes ago, FrankR said:

I would suggest paying particular attention to your diet, in addition to your workouts. That has always been the hardest part for me - especially when I travel and have to attend business related events/dinners etc. 

I am down to two meals a day, a small light breakfast, and lean dinner.

Happy to do the excursive too. Just need a point in the right direction. 

I'm doing the same thing, though probably 7 weeks ahead.  For me, diet AND exercise are key.  And not just weights, but aerobic, also.  I read recently that getting your heart rate up for 150 minutes or more per week is good for both fat loss and heart health.

I live in NYC as well, but luckily my building has a gym (tho small, I can do all I need) so I have no excuse not to get back in shape, lol.

5 hours ago, jetlow said:

I am down to two meals a day, a small light breakfast, and lean dinner.

Happy to do the excursive too. Just need a point in the right direction. 

Exercising consistently is important.  Set up 3 to 4 weight workouts that you can complete in 45 minutes.  Start with 15 minutes of cardio to get your metabolism and heart rate up.  Then hit the weights for 45 -- 4-5 exercises, with 4-5 sets of 12 for each exercise.  The 12 rep-count is on the high side, but it will teach your muscles endurance and strength.  Certain exercises will lend themselves to doing "arms separately" -- Ex. Curls.  Doing the arms separately lets you stretch out the set and get your heart rate up higher.  Stick with the same workout for a good amount of time (i.e. at least 4 weeks).  Don't "change it up" all the time.  Doing the same workout will help you have a feel for where you are at.  Whereas if you keep changing it, you will have no idea what progress you are making.

Consistency in meals is also important (though possibly boring).  If you are eating consistently and working out consistently, then you can watch what happens to your body (shape, weight, fat levels, etc.) and make small changes to experiment and see what happens.

Also, if you can stomach it, try doing fasted workouts first thing in the morning.  It takes some getting used to, but it will get your metabolism up first thing in the morning -- which will allow you to burn fat passively following the workout throughout the day.  And working out before you eat will teach your body to start burning fat for energy.

If you really want to get into it, buy a heart rate monitor -- I like the Polar H10 chest strap.  But if that's inconvenient, you can try something like a Polar Verity Sense -- which is an armband.  The heart rate monitor will let you see how many minutes you spend in different heart rate zones.  If you can push yourself to stay in Orange zone (and eventually Red), you will really be burning a lot of calories!  And the heart rate recordings of your workouts motivate you to try to work harder when you look back at them.

[Sorry for the long-winded reply.  I love working out and have been doing it for over 20 years now.]

First, a shredded body is not 15-18% bf. It's really sub 10. That's when everything pops. 

Shredded also means low water weight. 

Bottom line, a great body is made in the kitchen. If you're not willing to go that far, I'd recommend intermittent fasting. The 16:8 method personally works well for me.

Cardio 5x a week. Lighter weights, max reps. HIIT training. 

On the diet side:

Weight loss is simple math. Drop 500 calories a day, you'll lose 1 lb a week.

You don't have to change what you eat, just how much. You can eat the same number of meals a day, just smaller portions.

OR you can stop drinking and stop snacking. That would probably get most people there.

Finally, eat slower. It takes time for the stomach to tell the brain it's full, so if you eat fast you don't get the message in time.

I’m muscular (Leanish) but not as shredded as I’d like. I’m working with a very hot trainer on a new modality that emphasizes striations. I also do a lot of cardio, especially long road biking where my goal is to achieve new Strava records. Working out with weights, never machines, on an empty stomach is the norm. I never eat before 11:00 am. I’ve also greatly increased my vegetable intake and have been doing AuraSil super food and nutrient supplements, which also boost collagen production for more youthful skin. I’m a Type A, so if I don’t get a daily workout of some sort I get stressed. Also consider long walks at around 4 minute miles. I know I could get there faster if I dropped the wine, which I’m working on. 

17 minutes ago, Pensant said:

I’m muscular (Leanish) but not as shredded as I’d like. I’m working with a very hot trainer on a new modality that emphasizes striations. I also do a lot of cardio, especially long road biking where my goal is to achieve new Strava records. Working out with weights, never machines, on an empty stomach is the norm. I never eat before 11:00 am. I’ve also greatly increased my vegetable intake and have been doing AuraSil super food and nutrient supplements, which also boost collagen production for more youthful skin. I’m a Type A, so if I don’t get a daily workout of some sort I get stressed. Also consider long walks at around 4 minute miles. I know I could get there faster if I dropped the wine, which I’m working on. 

As an aside to your training, long cardio produces slower results than HIIT.  If you can do HIIT workouts or go to a studio that offers them (OrangeTheory, Barry's Bootcamp, etc), you'll see much faster progress.

As for collagen, a daily scoop (20mg) of collagen peptide in tea or coffee does the trick for me.

It sounds like you're on the right path 👍

12 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

As an aside to your training, long cardio produces slower results than HIIT. 

I know, but I’m addicted to long intense bike rides and big elevation gains. Think 20 to 60 mile rides. I have amazing legs and ass and my tummy is super tight afterwards. Nothing like seeing the Strava app after a ride and seeing PR’s on category 4 climbs. I hit 41 mph on a downhill Tuesday.

On 8/15/2022 at 12:03 PM, jetlow said:

I know a lot of OF models have been using apps like Fitbod to design their workouts, which I am doing.

Hiring a trainer is the most expedient way to "get it done right."   

Hiring a trainer is the most expedient way to "get it done right."   

true, but not just any trainer. I like to switch fitness modalities over time, and then incorporate the aspects which work for me into my program. I’ve done martial arts/kettlebell training, x-fit, lean muscle and have spent a ton on top-notch mountain bike instruction. If anything, I find repetitive workouts of one kind utterly boring. 

1 hour ago, Rudynate said:

Hiring a trainer is the most expedient way to "get it done right."   

Correction: Hire an APPROPRIATE trainer for your goals. Like some here, don't just hire 'pretty' guys that you're attracted to.

Credentials matter. Consider females as well. This is about goals and pushing past plateaus, not fucking your help. 

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

26 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Credentials matter. Consider females as well. This is about goals and pushing past plateaus, not fucking your help. 

I agree with this 100%. I have started to do group weight training classes at a rec center. Originally I had a male trainer and he was mostly just about trying to get me to do heavier weights and longer reps. I have a shoulder injury and this just kind of exasperated that. So I ended up switching to a female trainer and she was more about the technique of getting me to lift weights in the right way to both gain muscle and reduce injury. I actually feel I'm getting better results with her.

Not that it necessarily matters which gender trainer you choose, but I do think one that actually teaches technique instead of just trying to push me to do more is a better choice for me at least. 

1 hour ago, Pensant said:

Hiring a trainer is the most expedient way to "get it done right."   

true, but not just any trainer. I like to switch fitness modalities over time, and then incorporate the aspects which work for me into my program. I’ve done martial arts/kettlebell training, x-fit, lean muscle and have spent a ton on top-notch mountain bike instruction. If anything, I find repetitive workouts of one kind utterly boring. 

Duh.  Of course you don't hire just any trainer. 

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

You know that, yes, but based on a lot of conversation here, a lot of other guys don't. 

That's true, yes.  I do hire partly on looks - if a trainer/coach has a great build, to me, that's the first evidence that he can help me with my goals.   I used to train at World Gym from time to time and I noticed that all of their trainers were  all over-the-hill and out of shape.  I mentioned it to my coach and he pointed out, "Yeah, but those guys have a LOT of wisdom."

Unfortunately, World Gym was a casualty of the pandemic.  They were family-owned and just didn't have the staying power that big box gyms have.  I haven't thought about it, but I bet there has been a consolidation in the fitness industry caused by the pandemic.

Another place I hated to see go under was San Francisco Crossfit in the Presidio.  Same story, they didn't have the staying power - beautiful facility.

Edited by Rudynate

20 hours ago, Rudynate said:

That's true, yes.  I do hire partly on looks - if a trainer/coach has a great build, to me, that's the first evidence that he can help me with my goals.  

Sorta, kinda, but not really.  All that glitters is not gold.

Many trainers get those bodies through SARMS or straight juice.  That's not only cheating, but totally fucks up your endocrine system in the longrun, as well as sexual performance, acne, anger and hair loss.  It's a shit deal for the gains.

Trainers who train properly and treat their bodies like temples have my respect.  You can easily tell by watching how they lift and how they train others to lift.  Olympic lifts are only a small portion of making gains.  I would never work a trainer who wasn't also proficient in kettlebells, TRX, compound movement and HIIT.

It's one thing to look fit, but it's another thing to actually be fit.  I want to always BE fit.

1 hour ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Sorta, kinda, but not really.  All that glitters is not gold.

Many trainers get those bodies through SARMS or straight juice.  That's not only cheating, but totally fucks up your endocrine system in the longrun, as well as sexual performance, acne, anger and hair loss.  It's a shit deal for the gains.

Trainers who train properly and treat their bodies like temples have my respect.  You can easily tell by watching how they lift and how they train others to lift.  Olympic lifts are only a small portion of making gains.  I would never work a trainer who wasn't also proficient in kettlebells, TRX, compound movement and HIIT.

It's one thing to look fit, but it's another thing to actually be fit.  I want to always BE fit.

Notice that I said I hire PARTLY on looks.    I'm friendly with a young guy who just graduated from high school.  He's a complete vision.  Would I hire him as a trainer/coach?  Absolutely not.   I also have a friendly relationship with a trainer who is very adept with all kinds of  corrective and therapeutic modalities  and is always giving me pointers about things I should try, corrections I could make, etc.  As to looks he's OK.  Would I hire him? Definitely.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:46 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

This.

Thank you!

I've had many junk trainers at Equinox ( pretty boys with insta accounts) . They even have a group one which is drool worthy. 

I did get real results with a remote trainer based in LA  that came recommended to me, but got bored of the workouts.

Edited by jetlow

1 hour ago, jetlow said:

This.

Thank you!

I've had many junk trainers at Equinox ( pretty boys with insta accounts) . They even have a group one which is drool worthy. 

I did get real results with a remote trainer based in LA  that came recommended to me, but got bored of the workouts.

Yeah, when I was in Dallas, I trained weekly with a guy at Equinox.  Thankfully, I did my due diligence and we clicked on my goals and how to get there.  A lot of the other trainers there were next to worthless though.  Pretty, but useless.

If you're going to pay $250-350/hr for a trainer at a high-end gym, you really need to figure out if they're right for you.

What are you doing now to keep in shape?

On 8/15/2022 at 2:03 PM, jetlow said:

This hadn’t been mentioned but: perhaps it wouldn’t hurt to get a testosterone check, and/or look into test boosting supplements. Doesn’t have to be “steroids” but lots of accessible stuff at places like GNC and Vitamin Shoppe. 

Also everybody has different body types. Without a picture of you and height/weight proportions, I can’t tell what type of body type you are. However, it sounds like big frame/broad shoulders: you aren’t going to be a “ripped daddy” unless you’re willing to go on the show “naked and afraid” 😆 

spacer.png

Also if you’re going to up your workouts, particularly the weight lifting type: don’t always rely on 2 meals a day. Workout days you can use more protein/calories. Add protein mixes if you have to.

You can also switch  up the mountains for the high school track. I have done mountain walking, and it is SUPER exhausting, but I feel it does more leg/back workout than actual fat burning unless you’re doing it daily. 

Edited by Jarrod_Uncut