Getting shredded to 15-18% body fat?

Alex93108

For the past few years I’ve taken up intermittent fasting and have had the best workouts of my life on an empty stomach. Granted, I don’t do heavy lifting anymore and have given up deadlifts; but the workouts are pretty intense. I even do cardio on an empty stomach. On Saturday I rode a metric century and didn’t eat a Clif Bar until 20 miles in.

On 8/15/2022 at 10:19 PM, BenjaminNicholas said:

First, a shredded body is not 15-18% bf. It's really sub 10. That's when everything pops. 

Shredded also means low water weight. 

Bottom line, a great body is made in the kitchen. If you're not willing to go that far, I'd recommend intermittent fasting. The 16:8 method personally works well for me.

Cardio 5x a week. Lighter weights, max reps. HIIT training. 

You forgot to mention that you get the low water weight by drinking LOTS of water.

3 hours ago, Rudynate said:

You forgot to mention that you get the low water weight by drinking LOTS of water.

I'm taking a corticosteroid for an autoimmune problem and I'm drinking 3-4L/day and weighing every morning so that I don't get the predsnsone moon face.

5 hours ago, Pensant said:

Has anyone been using Liquid IV? 

What do you mean?  Like parenteral hydration for a hangover treatment or something like that?  I have read that in LV there are circulating vans where you can go for hangover treatment - they give you IV hydration with vitamins and some oxygen and an hour later you are a new person.

Edited by Rudynate
add content

6 hours ago, Rudynate said:

What do you mean?  Like parenteral hydration for a hangover treatment or something like that?  I have read that in LV there are circulating vans where you can go for hangover treatment - they give you IV hydration with vitamins and some oxygen and an hour later you are a new person.

Liquid IV is a powder supplement to water that's advertised to hydrate better.

With 11+ grams of sugar, 11 grams of carbs and 40-50 calories, I'd advise against it if you're wanting to cut up.

Water.  Plain, boring water.  It works.  Always has.  Unless you're an olympic athlete or doing some incredibly serious HIIT, there's little reason for sports drinks or something like Liquid IV.  

If you don't like the taste, there are tons of flavoring options that contain zero calories/sugar/carbs.  

Less is usually more.

6 hours ago, Rudynate said:

I have read that in LV there are circulating vans where you can go for hangover treatment - they give you IV hydration with vitamins and some oxygen and an hour later you are a new person.

Outside of a medical practice, IV drips are mostly mumbo-jumbo pseudoscience.

The John Myers Cocktail drip has been around awhile and is used in ERs and hospitals for patients with specific needs.  It's now been adopted and remixed by people in the wellness industry who are looking to make a healthy buck.

Most medical journals and doctors are dubious of these fly-by-nighters who say a bag of overpriced saline will change your life.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2021/may/do-iv-hydration-therapy-and-iv-vitamin-therapy-really-work/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/02/24/warnings-about-drip-bars/

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/iv-vitamin-therapy.html

7 minutes ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Outside of a medical practice, IV drips are mostly mumbo-jumbo pseudoscience.

The John Myers Cocktail drip has been around awhile and is used in ERs and hospitals for patients with specific needs.  It's now been adopted and remixed by people in the wellness industry who are looking to make a healthy buck.

Most medical journals and doctors are dubious of these fly-by-nighters who say a bag of overpriced saline will change your life.

https://www.houstonmethodist.org/blog/articles/2021/may/do-iv-hydration-therapy-and-iv-vitamin-therapy-really-work/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2022/02/24/warnings-about-drip-bars/

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/blog/iv-vitamin-therapy.html

IV drips were trendy amongst professional tennis players in the early 1990s because they supposedly sped up recovery.  An aging Jimmy Connors was the most prominent devotee, and Connors with his portable IV drip became a bit of a fixture in the locker room.  With $millions at stake and players desperate to do anything legal to gain even the slightest incremental advantage, not a single pro does the IV thing today.  That tells me all I need to know.

How many bodybuilders or fitness models do IV drips today?  I have no insight into that world, but my guess is the number is the same as the number of tennis players.

Besides, I'd feel silly walking around the locker room like this ...

spacer.png

12 hours ago, BenjaminNicholas said:

Liquid IV is a powder supplement to water that's advertised to hydrate better.

With 11+ grams of sugar, 11 grams of carbs and 40-50 calories, I'd advise against it if you're wanting to cut up.

Water.  Plain, boring water.  It works.  Always has.  Unless you're an olympic athlete or doing some incredibly serious HIIT, there's little reason for sports drinks or something like Liquid IV.  

If you don't like the taste, there are tons of flavoring options that contain zero calories/sugar/carbs.  

Less is usually more.

Thanks for that information!