Tony Dow Dead at 77- Wally Cleaver (SEE Correction!)

Lucky

On 7/26/2022 at 12:09 PM, Whitman said:

If it weren't for reruns, I would have missed Leave It to Beaver, and the self-realization that Tony helped to provide. Rest in peace, Handsome. 

tumblr_mrl0gzv5T41sockzmo1_640.jpg

tumblr_mrl0gzv5T41sockzmo3_640.jpg

I think I was in the 3rd grade when I discovered Leave It To Beaver afternoon reruns.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I was totally hooked on the show because of Beav's hunky older brother.  Thanks for the memories.  RIP.

I read the obit this morning in Toronto's Globe & Mail. It seems he had a fairly decent life after recovering from his early success as a child star and the almost inevitable letdown immediately following that in his 20's.

He appears to have kept his good looks late into life. That indicates he did not fall into a life of dissipation consumed by drugs and or alcohol. 

On 7/26/2022 at 2:41 PM, wsc said:

Another High School era guy I salivated over.

BTW ... didn't appreciate it at the time, but later thought funniest line on the series was when June told husband Ward, "You were pretty hard on the Beaver last night."

Did she actually ever say that? 

Edited by bostonman

12 hours ago, BSR said:

I think I was in the 3rd grade when I discovered Leave It To Beaver afternoon reruns.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I was totally hooked on the show because of Beav's hunky older brother.  Thanks for the memories.  RIP.

For me it was a toss-up between "boy next door" Wally and the oily charm of troublemaker Eddie Haskell (played by Ken Osmond). 

Actually, the line I quoted was a favorite of a friend at work and this was his wording. To fact-check myself in preparation to answer your question, I went to Youtube, typed in "you were pretty hard on the beaver," and it took me to a very short clip in which June said, "You were pretty rough on the Beaver, I'm afraid." I'm a little disappointed in this, in that although still to the same point, it lacks the punch of the misquoted report. Of well, another of my illusions shattered. Quelle dommage!

Edited by wsc

11 minutes ago, wsc said:

Actually, the line I quoted was a favorite of a friend at work and this was his wording. To fact-check myself in preparation to answer your question, I went to Youtube, typed in "you were pretty hard on the braver," and it took me to a very short clip in which June said, "You were pretty rough on the Beaver, I'm afraid." I'm a little disappointed in this, in that although still to the same point, it lacks the punch of the misquoted report. Of well, another of my illusions shattered. Quelle dommage!

I think the line as you first wrote it is an often-cited urban legend. Along with lines like "Play it again, Sam," which Bogart never really said. 

I am older than most of those commenting here (older even than OP Lucky!), so I never watched "Leave It to Beaver." It was broadcast while I was in college, when I rarely watched TV  (we didn't have TV sets there). I wouldn't have known who Tony Dow was if it weren't for the hoo-ha about the obituary. Looking at the photos now, I can certainly see what you were attracted to then.

21 hours ago, Charlie said:

I am older than most of those commenting here (older even than OP Lucky!), so I never watched "Leave It to Beaver." It was broadcast while I was in college, when I rarely watched TV  (we didn't have TV sets there). I wouldn't have known who Tony Dow was if it weren't for the hoo-ha about the obituary. Looking at the photos now, I can certainly see what you were attracted to then.

Too bad nobody  posted a picture of Wally's ass.