Cake turntables

poolboy48220

I was frosting a cake last night and thought about getting a cake turntable/carousel to make it easier.  Does anyone here use one?  Thoughts, is it helpful, or just another kitchen gimmick?  They seem to range in price from about $11 to $70.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-612-12-revolving-cake-stand-with-cast-iron-base-and-aluminum-top-august-thomsen/144612.html

• 3 months later...
On 7/17/2022 at 12:34 AM, jeezifonly said:

Whether it’s off-the-shelf or a franken-gadget, it’s probably worth it if you do cakes every week because you love it, or make some change selling them. Enjoyment is enough - it’s a tool to achieve nicer results, just like a ruler. 

Hopefully not the same ruler being used by guys on Grindr: we both know it doesn't measure straight or accurate! 🤣

On 7/9/2022 at 7:42 AM, poolboy48220 said:

I was frosting a cake last night and thought about getting a cake turntable/carousel to make it easier.  Does anyone here use one?  Thoughts, is it helpful, or just another kitchen gimmick?  They seem to range in price from about $11 to $70.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ateco-612-12-revolving-cake-stand-with-cast-iron-base-and-aluminum-top-august-thomsen/144612.html

Id buy one for sure, if I was into decorating cakes. I like to make cakes, but they typically don't have icing or decoration - just plain or with a glaze or whipped cream.

I used to make cakes more often but now it is a few times a year. I ended up buying a cheap plastic one and man does it make frosting easier. 

Seriously I think I spent $10 and it is so much easier. Even if you use it fairly rarely I say get one. I purposely bought a shorter one without a stand because I didn't want it to take up room in the cabinet.