Monkey Pox & Massages

Guest untakenalias

15 minutes ago, BaronArtz said:

A masseur in New York, whom I have been seeing for the last 5 years, told me this morning that his business dropped from 3-4 clients a day to 3-4 clients a week.  That's got to hurt!  I feel bad for him!

Got vaxxed yesterday myself, but I will give it a few weeks to kick in.

I’m vaccinated now, they said wait a couple of weeks for full effect. I was told the risk is greatest by going to sex clubs or parties where you’ll be touching or having sex with lots of people. The risk from having a massage with a vaccinated masseur is much much less.  So I’ll be avoiding sex parties for a while but I’m still seeing massage clients and am being even more careful about keeping things clean.  People can make their own evaluations of risk but I want to do as much as I can to reassure clients. 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:34 PM, massagefan320 said:

I was told yesterday I would be getting an email to schedule a second shot here in NYC, the technician made me verify my email address carefully for this reason.

That was my experience in NYC as well.

The written instructions I received state 'people should get the second dose at least 4 weeks after the first dose'.  I read this as 'not earlier than four weeks after the first dose' and 'it may be later than 4 weeks after the first dose'.

The nurse said that, because of the shortage, they intend to give as many people as possible a first dose in order to have a broad, albeit incomplete, coverage.  I expect to receive an email from them much later than 4 weeks after my first dose if the current shortage persists.

As others have mentioned, you cannot self-schedule a second dose using their website.

Whether you can believe this guy or not is up for debate, but I’ve been told that someone claimed that he received MPV from massage. Now again, I don’t know whether the failed to mention m2m sex because massage was a convenient excuse OR if the massage turned to sex. But I just wanted to flag that I heard it and it caused me to pause. 

On 8/6/2022 at 6:15 AM, Jamie21 said:

I’m vaccinated now, they said wait a couple of weeks for full effect. I was told the risk is greatest by going to sex clubs or parties where you’ll be touching or having sex with lots of people. The risk from having a massage with a vaccinated masseur is much much less.  So I’ll be avoiding sex parties for a while but I’m still seeing massage clients and am being even more careful about keeping things clean.  People can make their own evaluations of risk but I want to do as much as I can to reassure clients. 

As a masseur, for your own protection,  I believe you should do a forensic search of your client's body from head to toe before he mounts the table.  It would be impossible to hide the sores fully naked, if one has the virus.  I don't think it's like COVID where you can be asymptomatic without showing any outward signs.  However, there is a rather lengthy incubation period that must be considered if one had recent exposure. 

7 hours ago, Redwine56 said:

As a masseur, for your own protection,  I believe you should do a forensic search of your client's body from head to toe before he mounts the table.  It would be impossible to hide the sores fully naked, if one has the virus.  I don't think it's like COVID where you can be asymptomatic without showing any outward signs.  However, there is a rather lengthy incubation period that must be considered if one had recent exposure. 

A forensic search would rather detract from the ambiance of what I’m trying to create! But I know what you mean. 

I do discreetly check for things already (having asked at the start if the client has any conditions or injuries) by visual checks when he or she is on the table- things like eczema or varicose veins (can be bad for massage) and of course I discreetly check my clients bum before rimming and his cock before I’m sucking him. Now I have to be on the lookout for pox too!

Joking aside you can notice a lot of conditions on clients. Moles that need checking, spine curvature, misalignments, lumps etc. I have suggested to a couple of regular clients that they get moles checked out. It’s all part of the service! 

12 hours ago, NYMassageAddict said:

Whether you can believe this guy or not is up for debate, but I’ve been told that someone claimed that he received MPV from massage. Now again, I don’t know whether the failed to mention m2m sex because massage was a convenient excuse OR if the massage turned to sex. But I just wanted to flag that I heard it and it caused me to pause. 

Sex or not, there was skin to skin contact.

Wake up people!

Has anyone explored the potential of using latex gloves during massage? I wonder how a spa would react if I brought surgical gloves for the masseur to use. Or if any private masseurs are using them. I know it’s tough because a lot of the massage may include forearms rubbing but I might feel more confident if I knew a spa had handed them out. 

4 minutes ago, NYMassageAddict said:

Has anyone explored the potential of using latex gloves during massage? I wonder how a spa would react if I brought surgical gloves for the masseur to use. Or if any private masseurs are using them. I know it’s tough because a lot of the massage may include forearms rubbing but I might feel more confident if I knew a spa had handed them out. 

I also wonder about the sheets and towels etc that are used. Are they being thoroughly washed hot water soap and dried in hot dryer to kill anything?? I really want to have a massage badly, but all this makes me still say "Wait!" I had my 1st shot last week, so getting there 😂

1 hour ago, JUWS said:

I also wonder about the sheets and towels etc that are used. Are they being thoroughly washed hot water soap and dried in hot dryer to kill anything?? I really want to have a massage badly, but all this makes me still say "Wait!" I had my 1st shot last week, so getting there 😂

Some of the masseurs that I've gone to use disposable sheets on the massage table and head rest but regular towels. The disposable sheets tend to be thinner and I notice usually will have a towel under it for cushioning which is not changed for each massage.

8 minutes ago, Redwine56 said:

Some of the masseurs that I've gone to use disposable sheets on the massage table and head rest but regular towels. The disposable sheets tend to be thinner and I notice usually will have a towel under it for cushioning which is not changed for each massage.

We’ve got both individual masseurs and spas and a great opportunity for either side to broadcast measures they’ve taken. It can be dicey because of an innuendo of sexual activity but I think both should be investing in and advertising their Monkeypox efforts, including vax status, latex gloves and disposable sheets. I for one would welcome it. 

I change the towels every time using fresh towels. Also put paper on the table. But latex gloves? No, I couldn’t massage wearing latex gloves. There’s no feel, no connection. 

I’m vaccinated now so feel more confident to give massage. Being a sensual masseur I do get tested every 3 months at least, and am on Prep so I’m used to managing risk. This pox is just another risk to manage. 

2 hours ago, Redwine56 said:

Yes to the disposable great! But I still wonder about the towels, especially since you say not changed all the time, who can say? All boils down to trust, and how much of a risk one is willing to take I guess..... I'm still going to wait for my 2nd shot, even though my desire is so strong LOL! 

16 hours ago, Jamie21 said:

A forensic search would rather detract from the ambiance of what I’m trying to create! But I know what you mean. 

I do discreetly check for things already (having asked at the start if the client has any conditions or injuries) by visual checks when he or she is on the table- things like eczema or varicose veins (can be bad for massage) and of course I discreetly check my clients bum before rimming and his cock before I’m sucking him. Now I have to be on the lookout for pox too!

Joking aside you can notice a lot of conditions on clients. Moles that need checking, spine curvature, misalignments, lumps etc. I have suggested to a couple of regular clients that they get moles checked out. It’s all part of the service! 

Jamie - you are a very thorough massage therapist leaving no stones unturned.  If you ever decide to cross the pond, there will be lines outside of your hotel in NYC.  😜

2 minutes ago, Gooberman said:

Anyone in NYC get contacted yet about the 2nd dose? It's been 3 1/2 weeks since my 1st dose and no contact yet. I even called last week and they stated we'd be contacted.

I'm not holding my breath.  I think they want to get as many folk their first shots first.

Kevin Slater

39 minutes ago, Kevin Slater said:

I'm not holding my breath.  I think they want to get as many folk their first shots first.

Kevin Slater

Forget it.  I just heard on the news tonight that they want to provide 20% of the first dose in order to provide some protection to as many people as possible due to the severe shortage of the MK vaccine.  I thought I was hearing things.

9 hours ago, JUWS said:

I also wonder about the sheets and towels etc that are used. Are they being thoroughly washed hot water soap and dried in hot dryer to kill anything?? 

I trust the sheets, towels and face rest cleanliness like I believe their stated age.

Except for 1 provider, I bring my own linens and towel. And I've been doing this pre-MPX.

Not worried about it now since I won't be getting any providers table.

Edited by glutes

7 hours ago, Redwine56 said:

Jamie - you are a very thorough massage therapist leaving no stones unturned.  If you ever decide to cross the pond, there will be lines outside of your hotel in NYC.  😜

Yay! Starts to book flights….

Although @Redwine56as I’m British it will be an orderly queue that forms outside the hotel 😉

17 hours ago, Jamie21 said:

I change the towels every time using fresh towels. Also put paper on the table. But latex gloves? No, I couldn’t massage wearing latex gloves. There’s no feel, no connection. 

I’m vaccinated now so feel more confident to give massage. Being a sensual masseur I do get tested every 3 months at least, and am on Prep so I’m used to managing risk. This pox is just another risk to manage. 

You sound very responsible and I’m sure many would appreciate knowing more about their personal masseurs or spa’s efforts to do the same. Sadly as receivers we are left in the dark about a lot of this. I also recognize that providers would also like to have this information as well. Pandemics sure do suck. 

1 hour ago, NYMassageAddict said:

Sadly as receivers we are left in the dark about a lot of this. I also recognize that providers would also like to have this information as well. Pandemics sure do suck. 

If you’re in the dark, ask! No decent masseur would object to that question. 
Yep, pandemics suck… but on the other hand I suck too and that’s much more enjoyable. 

Monkey Pox cases in NYC are climbing very quickly.  Once you’ve been vaccinated it takes about 3 weeks for antibodies to hit protective level.  Once you receive your second injection, three wks after that date you have the most antibodies.   If you see a lesion/pox take a break and call your doc,   This truly sucks stinky  but bee safe 

On 8/8/2022 at 4:22 PM, NYMassageAddict said:

They say condoms don’t prevent it so I’m not sure if gloves would.