Karl-G

The recent history of the Gouverneur Hotel in Montreal is a little puzzling.  In November 2020, because of lack of business, the hotel was turned into a homeless center by the city.  Each room was given two beds and a temporary partition was erected down the center of each room to make two living units.  380 homeless people resided there between November 2020 and June 30, 2021.  Then they were evicted.   This information with photos is from the CBC.   (I have also been told it served as overflow Covid hospital at times.)

What happened next and who bought it and when and how is not clear.

Currently, you can find the hotel listed under three different names.  There is a website for the "Hotel Place Dupuis" at 1415 St. Hubert, and another website for the "Hyatt Place Montreal Downtown" at 1415 St. Hubert, and finally a website for "Zen Hotels" with an address of 1415 St. Hubert.  On the sites it is sometimes called a Hyatt hotel, sometimes a Zen hotel, and sometimes an Ascend hotel.  (Maybe it is all the same?)

If someone stays there, it would be nice to hear a first hand account of what it is today.  It was a major supplier of rooms for clients and their guests from the clubs for many years.

I went into the lobby yesterday morning. They weren’t too keen on people just coming in to snoop around as there were contractors making finishing touches for the soft opening that afternoon. The lobby is about 95% done. The fitness centre and pool are ready. I did not view them. The pool is indoors but apparently has natural lighting from windows. The name on the entrance door is Hyatt Place. It is a few feet from where the 747 express airport bus first-embarking/last-disembarking is now located n/w corner Ste-Catherine/St-Hubert. 

Here is one of many media articles on the inauguration:

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/announcement/41008141/hyatt-place-montreal-downtown.html

Edited by SirBillybob

5 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

Based on other posts, apparently, some forum members might question the hotel's use of "downtown" in its name!   😉

Technically it’s right on the side of the boundary street St-Hubert that puts it in the Gay Village, but it connects underground to Berri-UQAM Metro considered the eastern perimeter of Montreal’s Downtown or business district. Close call for Hyatt Corporate. 😏🤔

Considering the proliferation of drug trade in the area, it would risk being dubbed ‘High at the Gay Village’. Being situated in Ville-Marie borough, aka ‘Mary Town’, hardly helps. 🤣

Edited by SirBillybob

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at the old Gouveneur many times and although it was a bit tired I always thought it was good value for reasonable rates. The new Hyatt looks gussied up and the rates reflect it.  The problem is there is no fine dining within walking distance. The restaurants in the Village offer subpar food and atmosphere. 

The advantage is the proximity of the stripper bars but I'm not enticed to visiting them these days. Too many health concerns.

1 hour ago, Luv2play said:

I stayed at the old Gouveneur many times and although it was a bit tired I always thought it was good value for reasonable rates. The new Hyatt looks gussied up and the rates reflect it.  The problem is there is no fine dining within walking distance. The restaurants in the Village offer subpar food and atmosphere. 

I drew a green circle representing the distance to Papineau Metro and Taboo. The inner blue circle is the distance to Beaudry Metro. A very popular restaurant in the city’s top-rated guides, Le Mousso, is at or near the blue circle, Ontario St.

O-Thym near the hotel is not in Time Out’s top 50 but is fairly good. Many top restaurants reside within or very close to the area within the green circle, for me no more than 10-15 minute walk equivalency. If you would be fine walking a distance no greater than Papineau you would be within striking distance of a few great spots to dine. But you cannot just show up and you may need to book on an app such as Open Table. Singles do not fare well on busy nights in fine dining.  You might want to seek a place, in that event, with bar seating that doubles as place setting. Le Bouillon Bilk is one such option, again, walkable right by St-Laurent Metro. Tiradito is outside the green circle but not by much; very good well-rated Japanese-Peruvian fusion and ample feeding at their bar if no table.

This is not so much for you as it is for those less familiar. You yourself are able to find choice establishments while eye-candy drips off your arm. LOL

21935EB8-017E-4E22-8728-0FD4A6C3E30E.jpeg

Edited by SirBillybob

15 hours ago, SirBillybob said:

I drew a green circle representing the distance to Papineau Metro and Taboo. The inner blue circle is the distance to Beaudry Metro. A very popular restaurant in the city’s top-rated guides, Le Mousso, is at or near the blue circle, Ontario St.

O-Thym near the hotel is not in Time Out’s top 50 but is fairly good. Many top restaurants reside within or very close to the area within the green circle, for me no more than 10-15 minute walk equivalency. If you would be fine walking a distance no greater than Papineau you would be within striking distance of a few great spots to dine. But you cannot just show up and you may need to book on an app such as Open Table. Singles do not fare well on busy nights in fine dining.  You might want to seek a place, in that event, with bar seating that doubles as place setting. Le Bouillon Bilk is one such option, again, walkable right by St-Laurent Metro. Tiradito is outside the green circle but not by much; very good well-rated Japanese-Peruvian fusion and ample feeding at their bar if no table.

This is not so much for you as it is for those less familiar. You yourself are able to find choice establishments while eye-candy drips off your arm. LOL

21935EB8-017E-4E22-8728-0FD4A6C3E30E.jpeg

Thanks for this update on the restaurant scene. One place I used to enjoy in the area was Le Petit Extra. Don't know if it is still open. That was about the limit I was willing to walk especially in winter.

I took several different dates there and they all enjoyed the food and ambience. One American had never tried blood pudding and liked it.

ha!......that particular video is evidently made by some youtube channel/travel agent? called "Best Travel Plan" and other Canadian hotels receive the same treatment by them........certainly not a flattering promo!

Edited by azdr0710

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed at the Hyatt Place (former Gouveneur ) this weekend.  The renovation is not completely finished.  Thursday and Friday they were still delivering large boxes of furniture and fixtures causing the street in front of the hotel to be closed.  Taxis could not pick up or drop off in front. One part of the lobby is not finished.

The overall décor is modern and I found it cold but not unpleasant.  The mezzanine is very nice.  Excellent free computers and printer so it was a snap to check in with the airline and print boarding passes. 

The breakfast area is the same as the old Gouveneur.  Buffet breakfast is good with lots of options and free.

We had booked a king bed on a high floor.  The room was unfinished. Closet unfinished, no safe.  Requested a change of room.  Got a two queen bed on the 20th floor.  It was good.  Certainly much better than the Gouveneur when it was on its last legs.

At check in requested daily service so we could get fresh towels daily.  Service was very good.

Design flaws:

1. Light in the bathroom is around the mirror and it is impossible to see to shave. If the designer is male  he should be forced to try to shave in it and if female should be forced to try to but on makeup.
  2. The handle that turns on the shower regulates both the flow and the hot water so when you get in you need to stay out of the way until you can turn the handle to warm.  Water pressure is very good.
  3. The safe is set so low in the closet you have to get down on you knees the access it.
  4. Door to the closet and bathroom is a sliding door and you need to be careful that when your coming out of the bathroom you don't slide the door into you partner who is accessing the closet.

I booked the room using a Visa card that charged a foreign transaction and wanted to change it.  Stupid me. I asked at reception 3 different times and 3 different people told me "come to reception when you check out and we'll change it".  Morning of check out I went to reception and the bill was charged overnight to the original card.  They did issue a credit to that card and I paid with the new.  We'll see how that works out.

I know, long story.  The good out weighs the flaws and being hopeless romantics my husband having many memories there and will stay there again in August - Covid willing.

Reservation was made in December 2021.  For four nights - Thursday to Monday check out.  Rate was $1293.75 Canadian which is about $1015.43 US or $253.86 US per night at that time.  To me that's an OK rate for what you get.

I think the rates on their website are higher now.

16 hours ago, jerryskater said:
  1. The handle that turns on the shower regulates both the flow and the hot water so when you get in you need to stay out of the way until you can turn the handle to warm.  Water pressure is very good.

I'm looking forward to trying the shower pressure! 😎

I trust the views from the upper floors are just as spectacular as before.

Edited by twinkboylover28