Dental -- Waterpik Water Flosser

keefer

About two years ago I replaced an old Phillips/sonic-care with a Waterpik (Water Flosser)...  I loved the old Philips, but when I couldn't find a replacement went with the Waterpik.   I've had it for two years and it's incredible, massive difference in oral hygiene, I just can't imagine not using it after brushing.    Have just returned from my first post-pandemic checkup, and three areas that were always of concern are no longer an issue...

Given I was so slow learning about this tool I'm wondering what recommendations others might have?? 

I cannot emphasize enough how much I love and recommend a waterpik! It was horrible how many cavities I seemed to get but since I got my flosser in December 2019 I have had zero! And the dentist always says how great my teeth are. I was shocked after flossing with regular floss and then using the waterpik to see how much more stuff would be coming out. It's a no brainer. Got mine at Kohl's on a black Friday sale and with a rebate it came to $40 maybe. So worth it to not be spending money and copays on cavities. Only thing I'd had to buy since is I bought a replacement flosser head set on Amazon a little while back as you're supposed to replace them every 6 months it says but I went way past that. 

They are great - dentists tend not to like them - they sort of dismiss them.  Using a water pik once daily works wonders for the health of your gums.  And I agree that they are not a substitute for flossing.  Occasionally, I get little sore spots.  I fill the water pik with warm salt water and irrigate the sore spot a couple times a day and it always goes away.

• 1 year later...

Despite having teeth that look awesome,   I've had dental issues since I was a kid with crooked teeth.    I had braces for 4.5 years and ended up with periodontal disease and got the bad news as a grad student that I had better take care of my teeth or lose them someday.    I chose the former option.

I like the Water Pic,  but I always floss my teeth.   Always,  every day,  without exception.   I won't go to sleep without flossing.  I use a nighttime toothpaste  substitute with extra Floride  and also an electric toothbrush.    So,  yeah,  I'd a bit of a weirdo about my teeth,  but it has had a positive impact.

So in the end,   do whatever works for you,   Just DO!   Way too many people do nothing and they focus on the teeth,  not the gums,  which should never be overlooked!

• 2 weeks later...

I had to take a corticosteroid for a full year.  When you take them long-term they can cause all sorts of nasty side effects - including with your teeth and gums.  Sure enough, about six months in, my gums started to be inflamed and only a few months ago, I developed a periodontal abscess.  By the time the abscess developed, I had a already started tapering the steroid.  I accelerated the steroid taper and doubled down on my oral hygiene - including the waterpik with warm salt water 2x daily.  I finally got off the steroid a month ago and my teeth and gums are getting better gradually.  If I have to, I will go to an endodontist, but I hope to avoid it.

Edited by Rudynate
correction

Waterpiks are a great additional hygiene practice but I agree with the general consensus here that they're no substitute for regular flossing. This post jumped out at me as someone who's fastidiously obsessed with dental hygiene 🪥 lol 😂 Bone  tired or inebriated I still floss my teeth every night before bedtime, maybe missed 2 times in 15 years lol Cheers to all you fellow habitual flossers 😂😜

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Thelatin said:

Before you yell at me - google bleach in waterpik.  Yes, it’s a thing.  I add a teaspoon a few times a month.  

I'm not a dentist, but this is what the American Dental Association says about this practice:

WWW.ADA.ORG

The ADA Council on Scientific Affairs Acceptance of Waterpik Water Flosser is based on its finding that the product is safe and has shown efficacy for

"Do not use iodine, bleach, or water insoluble concentrated essential oils in this product...".

2 hours ago, Charlie said:

Does anyone else here use TePe Interdental Brushes? My periodontist strongly recommends them, and I find them more effective than flossing in most cases.

I'd not heard of them before, but apparently the ADA gives them the green light. Apparently there are no good studies to compare interdental brushes with flossing. 

WWW.ADA.ORG

Dental floss and other interdental cleaners remove food trapped between the teeth in a way toothbrush bristles alone cannot.

"Dental floss (or dental tape) and other interdental cleaners (e.g., small brushes, special wooden or plastic picks, sticks or water flossers) removes food trapped between the teeth and removes the film of bacteria that forms there before it has a chance to harden into plaque... A news release from the ADA reaffirmed the use of an interdental cleaner (like floss) as an essential part of taking care of teeth and gums. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services also reaffirmed flossing as "an important oral hygiene practice" in an August 2016 communication to ADA News... Toothbrush bristles alone cannot clean effectively between these tight spaces....While floss is a flexible strand, other interdental cleaners specifically made for this purpose include dental/floss picks, pre-threaded flossers, tiny brushes that reach between the teeth, powered air or water flossers, or wooden plaque removers...".