Allergy season is here! Are you team Zyrtec, Allegra, Claritin, antihistamine?

marylander1940

I have tried most of the OTCs and the only one that has ever worked for me is Benadryl.  Unfortunately, it makes me very drowsy.  

It has been suggested that I take it at night.  That would work for me if my allergies occurred only at night.

I've sort of compromised by taking only one tablet at a time, which gives me some relief while minimizing the drowsiness. 

Climate change is a bitch.  I used to have allergy difficulties for only a short time in the fall of the year, now they're showing up all the time.

One Zyrtec-D every morning and I'm good.  I was using Zicam spray, which worked great, but only intended for short-term use.  I tried regular Zyrtec, but it didn't work.   The only problem with Zyrtec-D is that, although it's OTC, it contains pseudoephedrine hydrochloride, which is used by street dealers to illegally manufacture methamphetamine. It's restricted under the Combat Methamphetamine Act, so I would need to provide my driver's license for them to scan to determine how much I've purchased during the past month, regardless of the pharmacy.  Even one/day for its intended use exceeds the maximum milligrams permitted OTC, so I'd end up going about 10 days/month without it.  I finally had my PCP write a script for it.  The pharmacy just affixes the Rx label to the retail box.

I have used them all at one time or another. For awhile, Allegra seemed the best, but then it seemed to become less effective. Then I went through a similar experience with Zyrtec. Ditto Flonase. Claritin never seemed effective for me. I sometimes use Benadryl at bedtime, so I can breathe while I am asleep..

When I was young, the only thing that worked was Primatene (is that still available?). It worked, but it made me very drowsy.

In a bad allergy season like the one I have been going through this year, I sometimes fantasize about moving to the north shore of Alaska, the only place in the US where there is almost nothing growing that I am allergic to.

I take Xyzal or Allegra. I'm allergic to cats & dogs all year and then obviously now when it's getting nice out especially when I cut the grass. My one ear will get all plugged up for some reason. Just one and the same one every time. Don't understand it but it sucks to be deaf then in one ear.

The nasal steroids are more effective than antihistamines at controlling allergy symptoms, especially nasal ones. Most sprays are once a day. If itchy eyes are a problem, I recommend olopatadine 0.2% eye drops (Pataday). Claritin has extremely minimal efficacy. While the benefit is statistically significant, that benefit was so small, it barely passed FDA approval (passed by one vote on the committee). Of the antihistamines, Zyrtec/Xyzal is slightly more efficacious than Allegra, but those can cause mild drowsiness, which Allegra doesn't. If you prefer pills to nasal sprays, montelukast (once a day at bedtime) is as effective as most antihistamines, and doesn't cause drowsiness. Although montelukast is not an antihistamine, its benefits are NOT additive with antihistamines, so there's no sense in taking both.

Primatene mist, strangely still available, is simply pure adrenaline/epinephrine. I consider it pretty dangerous, especially for anyone at risk of cardiovascular disease. I would encourage people to avoid it. I don't know why the FDA still lets people buy that stuff. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10948809/#:~:text=Thus%2C the topical nasal corticosteroid,treatment for perennial allergic rhinitis.

"... topical nasal corticosteroid was found to be more effective than antihistamine nasal spray in reducing symptoms of allergic rhinitis. This study provides further support for the use of topical nasal corticosteroids as first-line treatment for perennial allergic rhinitis."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC28740/#:~:text=The meta-analysis of 16,results were homogeneous between studies.

"...Our systematic review of the effectiveness of intranasal corticosteroids versus oral H1 receptor antagonists (antihistamines) for allergic rhinitis identified 18 randomized controlled trials that met the inclusion criteria. The meta-analysis of 16 evaluable trials confirmed that intranasal corticosteroids were significantly more effective at relieving nasal blockage, discharge, and itch, and postnasal drip than were oral antihistamines. Furthermore, all these results were homogeneous between studies. This indicates that an analysis of pooled data from clinical trials strongly supports the clinical suspicion that intranasal corticosteroids are more effective than oral antihistamines for such nasal symptoms...".

I would strictly avoid Zicam. Not only is it not approved (or probably even effective) for any allergy symptoms, it can permanently damage a person's ability to smell. I'm surprised it's still available on the market.

"On June 16, 2009, the FDA advised consumers to discontinue use of three nasally administered versions of Zicam Cold Remedy—Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Gel, Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Swabs, and Zicam Cold Remedy Swabs, Kids Size (a discontinued product)—because the FDA had associated a serious risk of anosmia [inability to smell] with them."

Edited by Unicorn

I personally prefer Flonase, because it has a floral scent, so it's easy to tell if you've reached the bottom of the bottle (no scent). Others might prefer a scentless formulation....

https://www.allergyclinic.com/blog/update-on-nose-sprays#:~:text=Flonase contains phenylethyl alcohol (PEA,the nose and cause nosebleeds.

"... For the past several years, Flonase and Nasacort have been available without a prescription (OTC). A couple years ago, Rhinocort also went OTC. One advantage of Rhinocort is its lack of irritating preservatives. Flonase contains phenylethyl alcohol (PEA), which gives it that floral odor. Many people find the odor unpleasant, though others tell us it’s the “smell of relief.” PEA, an alcohol, can dry the inside of the nose and cause nosebleeds. Both Flonase and Nasacort contain benzalkonium chloride (BKC), another preservative that can dry out the nose. Rhinocort has neither, so many prefer it...".

3 hours ago, LIguy said:

I use Allegra and Flonase however Flonase makes my nose bleed after 3 days and I have to stop it for a few days.

If you haven't tried Rhinocort, I'd try it. 

RHINOCORT® Allergy Spray | RHINOCORT®

Just Well Budesonide Nasal Spray, 32 Mcg Per Spray (glucocorticoid), Nasal  Allergy Symptom Reliever, 0.285 Fluid Ounce in Dubai - UAE | Whizz Sinus  Medicine

3 hours ago, Calix_V2 said:

Anyone try A Vogel's Allergy relief? https://shop.avogel.ca/products/a-vogel-allergy-relief-tablets?

When I first started them years ago it took a while to kick in, mostly because it was way into allergy season.  Now I actually rarely take them and the first 2 weeks is mild if any symptoms.

No homeopathic product has ever been shown in a randomized clinical trial to be efficacious for anything. It looks as though that product may only be for sale in Canada. When herbal or homeopathic products are sold in the US, they must all carry this warning label:

These Statements Have Not Been Evaluated by the Food and Drug  Administration — Edible Chemistry Consulting

What do you mean these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA? –  Nature's Complement

Why Isn't Shakeology FDA Approved? The SHOCKING TRUTH!

BODYWORX- adeps suillus, adrenocorticotrophin, agrimonia eupatoria flos, ammonium bromatum, anacardium orientale, antimonium crudum, calcarea carbonica, coenzyme a, cortisone aceticum, fucus vesiculosus, hypothalamus, kali bichromicum, oleander, pituitarum posterium, rna, sabadilla, staphysagria, thyroidinum liquid 
BodywoRX Medical Weight Loss Program, LLC

Disclaimer: This homeopathic product has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration for safety or efficacy. FDA is not aware of scientific evidence to support homeopathy as effective.

I've had seasonal allergies since childhood, and none of the over-the-counter products ever worked for me, other than to make me incredibly drowsy.....   I've always needed injections,  but as I have aged, the need has lessened.   But these days, its hard to separate allergy symptoms from Covid symptoms.  Except for fever,  they can be similar for alot of people. 

1 hour ago, jjkrkwood said:

I've had seasonal allergies since childhood, and none of the over-the-counter products ever worked for me, other than to make me incredibly drowsy.....   I've always needed injections,  but as I have aged, the need has lessened.   But these days, its hard to separate allergy symptoms from Covid symptoms.  Except for fever,  they can be similar for alot of people. 

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "injections." Hopefully, you mean immunotherapy in which patients are given a series of shots over many months to desensitize them from whatever brings on their allergies. Also less worrisome would be an off-label use of immunomodulators such as Xolair, which are usually used for severe asthma, but can sometimes be used for severe allergies. What I hope you don't mean is steroid injections, in which long-acting corticosteroids are injected into the muscle to be released over several weeks (to months). 

Such injections are dangerous and contrary to allergy society guidelines. I have seen some unscrupulous physicians do this, but it's at sometimes great risk to the patients. I once knew a patient (not mine) who'd suffered permanent walking disability due to avascular necrosis of the hip several weeks after such an injection. These injections also increase the risk of diabetes and osteoporosis (brittle bones subject to easy fracture). 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/are-3-month-allergy-shots-safe-82792

Takeaway

There are far better and safer ways than steroid shots to treat allergies. Discuss your options with your allergist or healthcare provider. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24090789/

"Compared to immunotherapy regular use of depot-steroid injections to treat allergic rhinitis is associated with increased risk of being diagnosed with diabetes and osteoporosis."

what-is-avascular-necrosis-of-the-hip.png

As an alternative to a long-acting steroid injection, a short burst of oral steroids, for 7 to 10 days, is reasonable to quiet down the immune system while waiting for other medications, especially nasal steroids, to take effect.

As for differentiating allergies from Covid-19, itchy eyes and nose are usually pretty prominent with allergies, rare in Covid-19 patients. And, although Covid-19 patients sometimes sneeze, a person with severe allergies is prone to getting pretty severe sneezing fits. If you're still unsure, of course, there are antigen tests. 

Edited by Unicorn

My mother suffered from allergies all her life at least when I knew her. Every fall she would come down with hayfever and her eyes and nose would be severely affected. In those days there seemed to be little available that offered relief. She was so happy with the first frost which would end her misery. In Montreal that was around November.

Luckily none of her 4 children inherited her problem and that has also been the case with her grandchildren and great grandchildren who are now entering their teens. 

I consider myself blessed in this regard. When I saw what she went through each year like regular clockwork, it seemed to me to take a lot of pleasure out of living, albeit for just a couple of months each year.

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say "injections." Hopefully, you mean immunotherapy in which patients are given a series of shots over many months to desensitize them from whatever brings on their allergies. Also less worrisome would be an off-label use of immunomodulators such as Xolair, which are usually used for severe asthma, but can sometimes be used for severe allergies. What I hope you don't mean is steroid injections, in which long-acting corticosteroids are injected into the muscle to be released over several weeks (to months). 

Such injections are dangerous and contrary to allergy society guidelines. I have seen some unscrupulous physicians do this, but it's at sometimes great risk to the patients. I once knew a patient (not mine) who'd suffered permanent walking disability due to avascular necrosis of the hip several weeks after such an injection. These injections also increase the risk of diabetes and osteoporosis (brittle bones subject to easy fracture). 

https://www.verywellhealth.com/are-3-month-allergy-shots-safe-82792

Takeaway

There are far better and safer ways than steroid shots to treat allergies. Discuss your options with your allergist or healthcare provider. 

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24090789/

"Compared to immunotherapy regular use of depot-steroid injections to treat allergic rhinitis is associated with increased risk of being diagnosed with diabetes and osteoporosis."

what-is-avascular-necrosis-of-the-hip.png

As an alternative to a long-acting steroid injection, a short burst of oral steroids, for 7 to 10 days, is reasonable to quiet down the immune system while waiting for other medications, especially nasal steroids, to take effect.

As for differentiating allergies from Covid-19, itchy eyes and nose are usually pretty prominent with allergies, rare in Covid-19 patients. And, although Covid-19 patients sometimes sneeze, a person with severe allergies is prone to getting pretty severe sneezing fits. If you're still unsure, of course, there are antigen tests. 

Certainly they were immunotherapy shots, or else I would have mentioned otherwise. 

45 minutes ago, jjkrkwood said:

Certainly they were immunotherapy shots, or else I would have mentioned otherwise. 

Thank God. Over the years I ran into a number of patients for whom "allergy shots" meant someone gave them an injection of long-acting steroids. It would take some time for me to educate on a more rational way to treat allergies. From a patient's perspective, the steroid injections certainly would take care of their symptoms, but they didn't realize the danger their prior provider (PCP, Nurse Practitioner, or Physician's Assistant) was putting them in. 

4 hours ago, Luv2play said:

...She was so happy with the first frost which would end her misery. In Montreal that was around November...

I feel a song coming on....

• 1 month later...