Home Decor - Wood floors

BeamerBikes
This topic is 766 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Figured I'd poll the group.  Anyone have advice/guidance on picking out new flooring?  

I've typically chosen carpeting and ceramic tile for my previous homes. I have this 2 story McMansion, and want to enjoy it abit before selling it.  I was thinking of replacing the 1st floor carpeted sections with wood floors.

How do you best visualize how the place will look with the new flooring?  Any apps or just old school print a picture and overlay the floor pic on it?  

Also appreciate any comments on types of  flooring to stay away from and why? 

“Wood Flooring” covers a wide gamut of products and quality. Everything from individual boards to some very thin cheap veneers (not all veneers are bad). If you live in a high humidity or extreme desert climate your options may be constrained. Both of those climate types can lead to warping and/or lamination failure.

I would suggest starting out with a visit to your local hardware stores and getting advice on what works in your particular climate. Depending on the size of your city there may be companies that specialize in wood floor installation that may another good info source. They will want to know if the 1st floor is on a concrete slab or above a crawlspace/basement. They will also likely have a rack near the checkout counters full of various magazines and guides that are a good research start point. And check with your neighbors to see if they have any advice.

Use a natural color. I, for one, think the gray flooring trend is hideous. Use full-thickness boards if possible. They will need to be sanded a few times in their lifetime. 
The house I bought in 1989 had lime green shag carpeting throughout, save for the back bedroom, which was a kind of burnt umber. Artificial grass in the bathroom! And under it all, oak flooring ( probably covered since 1974, when the previous owners bought the place).

And it’s the perfect background for oriental rugs. 

I just signed a bid for for re-flooring my entire living room, den, kitchen, powder room, and foyer (all downstairs) and staircase going upstairs in engineered wood. I chose a product with a 22 year guarantee and a veneer thickness that could (allegedly) be sanded and refinished twice. I went with a natural hickory color. There is a pattern of 3 different size/width of the flooring pieces, I didn’t want long continuous planks.
I’m very excited, but stressing about the packing up and prep. FYI my bid includes moving the furniture, but not any packing up.

The wood floor in my apartment is original to the 1950 building.  It's light colored and I couldn't be happier with it.  Dark wood floors can be beautiful, but you have to either counterbalance it well, or go all out on dark features and hope for the best, sometimes dark rooms are amazing.  The Oak Room (RIP) at the Plaza hotel comes to mind.

3 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Maybe we will soon have yet another forum! This one would be about Gay Home Decor! I think it might be quite popular.

I fall under the standard heterosexual male stereotype...  I dont have an eye for design/decor other than as a consumer.  I want something that looks nice and not too edgey and also not something out of the 1800s whether rustic or gilded age.  

Use same product throughout, whatever you choose. Even in bath and kitchen. This will help with resale, which your OP indicated would be sooner than later. If you have a larger home, that would house a family of 4+ a scratch-resistant vinyl laminate can look very stylish and make life easier with kids/dogs etc. 

Before you choose, see what color is going out of style now, so you can avoid it. Chat with real estate people about hot/not. Since you claim to have less interest in visuals yourself, buy what will make the home look its best in photos and open houses. 

if you're selling sooner than later, you may??? want to save the money and just offer a modest flooring allowance to the new buyers.....but don't just entirely finance their own flooring preferences - keep the allowance modest......

or, if you want to enjoy a new floor for a while, consider real tile that mimics the look of hardwood flooring......popular now and not really a passing trend, I think??....

https://www.homeflooringpros.com/tile-that-looks-like-wood/

Florida-Tile-Distillery-Malt.jpg

Edited by azdr0710

If you have a lot of furniture, I would go with the flooring allowance mentioned above to any purchaser. The few times I have moved I have found it easiest to do major work like replacing floors before you move in. Otherwise its a hassle. And it may not suit all possible buyers so you are narrowing your marketability without taking a major hit on the cost of your renos.

If you decide to go ahead, lots of good advice above about what your needs are and what is best for where you live and structural issues like subfloor etc.

Edited by Luv2play

Yes, thanks all and keep the tips flowing.  Got busy with work.  So to answer some of the questions.  I'm leaning towards staying put at this place even though it's just me and the dog for the next several years.  I want to enjoy whatever I put in so when the seller inevitably doesn't like it, I won't take it personal.  

I'm in Chicago burbs. There's a unfinished but heated/air conditioned basement underneath. Vinyl planks/look alike tile look like front runners.  I'll retain carpeting upstairs. 

Furniture is in flux somewhat. Had a formal dining room set but its oversized for the space and never used so looking to try to repurpose that space somehow. First step - get it out of the house and redo the floors. 

Agreed no on the dark shade for floors. I have the traditional honey oak trim work so it'd clash. Plus dark colors need balance otherwise it makes the space feel small and well dark.