Does anyone answer the phone anymore?

purplekow
This topic is 817 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

When I get a phone call, if it is from a number I know and I am not particularly engaged otherwise, I answer the phone.  Similarly, if I am texted and not busy, I answer the text.  This results in my answering calls and texts very quickly most of the time.  

I seem to be a diminishing breed.  I have friends that never answer the phone but if I leave a message to call back quickly, they do.  I do find this a bit off-putting.  I do not expect someone to answer every call immediately, but never answering seems rude.  

So are the phone answerers out there?  How about persons who are a bit miffed if their calls are never answered?

I'm a millennial and so are most of my friends. We almost never chat on the phone as texting/messaging is just much easier. I really only talk to my parents on the phone or sometimes my siblings, but I also am someone who doesn't enjoy talking on the phone because I'm often doing things that would require me to stop and have a conversation.

I know that gen z is even bigger on texting and messaging than millennials. I love being able to have conversations with friends, but I'd much rather do that in person when hanging out than over the phone. 

Boomer here, and I only answer if I recognize the number.  Caller ID is my friend.  99% of the time, I don’t know the number, and no message is left.  99% of the few messages left are stupid stuff like lowering my credit card interest, changing my electricity provider, the message was cut off, fraudulent activity with my social security number, etc.

They finally stopped calling to say a warrant has been issued for my arrest for some such stuff, and they’re coming to get me.

I only answer the phone if it’s a contact saved. An unlisted number I will not answer. And if the voicemail that is left behind doesn’t explain the purpose for the car, I don’t return it.

I get daily calls from a debt collector. They simply tell me who they are and that I should call them back and ask for one of their associates. They don’t tell me that they’re a debt collector, but I’ve looked them up on Google by their telephone number. If they can’t be bothered to tell me why they’re calling, I sure as hell I’m not going to call them back. I’ll take care of the debt in my own time. At this point there isn’t any way to really deal with the issue in a positive way, so there’s no expedient rush. 

I’m a boomer. I ALWAYS answer my phone if a family member is calling. There are two or three friends that actually prefer to call and talk to me, and I always try to answer their calls. Other than that, texting is my preferred communication. 

Apropos to relevance for this forum, most of my communication with providers on RentMen is by text,  (usually per the providers’ preference) from introducing myself as a client with interest in hiring them to setting appointment date/time.

If they become a regular provider, and/or even if we become friends, (which happens more often than I ever expected!) almost all communication with them remains via text, including those providers texting ahead that they plan to visit my area before their RentMen ad is actually posted in my area!

The majority of communication on my phone is by text!

TruHart1 😎

I never answer if I don’t know who they are. Any repeat known caller I add to my contacts so they come up by name. 

My phone is always on silent so unless I happen to be online when they call, everything goes into either missed calls or voicemail. I reply to anything important quickly. I check my phone frequently, so replies to legit callers don’t wait long. 

Unknown calls also go into missed calls. If they leave a voicemail I will listen and reply if it’s from someone legit. I do a lot of gig work so it isn’t unusual to get calls from unknown callers, although this is increasingly via text. Those I reply to. I’d say maybe 1 in 100 from someone unknown is a legit call and I figure if they want me they’ll leave a message. 

More of my phone calls are spam/scam than legitimate, so I never answer unless I recognize the name or number of the caller. My landline carrier actually warns "potential spam" on the ID. My landline and cell phones are set to automatically go to voicemail after 4 rings, so I check my voicemail regularly, just in case the call was legitimate; most spammers don't bother to leave messages. If I am near my landline phone when someone is leaving a message, I can hear them, and can break in and take the call if I realize that it is someone I want to talk to.

I'm old and retired, so I don't have to deal with work-related calls, and I don't have family or friends who call me very often--most of my communication with them is through email. The majority of my legitimate phone calls are from medical providers.

14 hours ago, acks01 said:

I'm a millennial and so are most of my friends. We almost never chat on the phone as texting/messaging is just much easier.

Wait until your generation all has arthritis in your fingers.

14 hours ago, bashful said:

They finally stopped calling to say a warrant has been issued for my arrest for some such stuff, and they’re coming to get me.

That probably just means they've attained a no-knock warrant and will be busting down your door momentarily.

14 hours ago, Autumnal said:

If I recognize the caller ID I always answer the phone if I can get to it in time - I am not attached to my phone so I have to locate it first😀 I'm obviously of an earlier generation when there were no voice messages or answering machines or caller ID's!

Hey, @marylander1940 is of of an earlier generation when there were no phones.  He had to go to the telegraph office to retrieve his messages.  Poor guy!  😁🤣😇

14 hours ago, xyz48B said:

if the voicemail that is left behind doesn’t explain the purpose for the car, I don’t return it.

I'm surprised you need an explanation, but the purpose of a car is to transport you and your passengers/cargo quickly and comfortably.  You're welcome for this clarification, btw.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

8 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Most phones have dictation.

But do they know shorthand?  

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I'm old and retired, so I don't have to deal with work-related calls, and I don't have family or friends who call me very often--most of my communication with them is through email. 

Don't you know email is considered passe, too?

6 minutes ago, Charlie said:

The majority of my legitimate phone calls are from medical providers.

Ah, the joys of aging!  My best friend loves the fact that she has medical appointments on almost every day she's off from work.

My grandma has battled arthritis 30+ years – two replaced hips, two replaced shoulders, and three replaced knees. She’s never sent a text in her life.

I snapped my knee about five years ago getting up from a kneeling position. It snapped so hard I thought everyone in the room could hear the crack. Apparently not. That said, when it’s damp out or cold, it gives me trouble. I had it checked My doctor told me I have arthritis! Apparently I should have had it looked at when it happened instead of waiting for trouble to develop. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

2 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Of course I know that email is for old-timers, but I use texting only for very short messages.

My hierarchy of communication urgency: 

1. Email 

2. Text

3. Phone

If I need immediate answers, I call. If I want a response soon (within hours/the day), I send a text. If it can wait a day or two, I send an email. Generally speaking. There are exceptions. 

7 minutes ago, samhexum said:

She must win the three-legged race at the family picnic every year!

You’re a regular comedian ;)

What happened was that she was in the backyard one afternoon and our dog knocked her over. As it turned out a few weeks later she was having extreme pain in her replaced knee. When she fell, it had snapped her knee, and inside the cup of the replacement joint, the bone had broken off and started to break down. So they had to remove the replacement and put a new one in. It always makes for a good story though to explain why she has three replaced knees. 

11 minutes ago, xyz48B said:

You’re a regular comedian ;)  Tru Dat!

What happened was that she was in the backyard one afternoon and our dog knocked her over. As it turned out a few weeks later she was having extreme pain in her replaced knee. When she fell, it had snapped her knee... 

I slipped in my bathroom Dec 5th & fractured 2 ribs and my spine.  The man in the next bed in the ER (who wound up being my roommate once we were both admitted) had fallen on his stairs and broken his replaced knee. 

Did your dog get calls from your grandma's insurance company looking for sources of liability to cover the costs?  If so, did he/she answer them or let them go to voicemail?

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

17 hours ago, purplekow said:

When I get a phone call, if it is from a number I know and I am not particularly engaged otherwise, I answer the phone.  Similarly, if I am texted and not busy, I answer the text.  This results in my answering calls and texts very quickly most of the time.  

I seem to be a diminishing breed.  I have friends that never answer the phone but if I leave a message to call back quickly, they do.  I do find this a bit off-putting.  I do not expect someone to answer every call immediately, but never answering seems rude.  

So are the phone answerers out there?  How about persons who are a bit miffed if their calls are never answered?

Amy Vanderbilt's awol on this but I think the very courteous thing now is to text or message and ask "Can I call now?"

55 minutes ago, Charlie said:

Of course I know that email is for old-timers, but I use texting only for very short messages.

I think the problem is email is taken over with ads and spam. I spend an hour a week trying to get the weeds out of mine with Unsubscribe or Spam. Unfortunately texting is also going that route fast and I already spend a decent time Blocking. Of course their computers can evade blocks or unsubsribe as fast as you can set them up.

I only really feel comfortable with social media messages like FB Messenger in the US or WhatsApp. And I mark my important text numbers that aren't suitable for Messenger with a distinctive "Ring" so I know it's a close friend or tenant. On my texts it's a boy screaming "Message!". Everything else is a low chime. Distinctive "rings" help a lot.

But with friends I mostly use FB Messenger. 

Edited by tassojunior