OPEN MOUTH, INSERT FOOT

samhexum
This topic is 845 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Actress fired after ranting about street closures for NYPD Detective Jason Rivera’s funeral

https://nypost.com/2022/01/29/actress-fired-after-ranting-about-street-closures-for-jason-riveras-funeral/

A New York City actress was fired from her theater company for mouthing off about the inconvenience of street closures for slain cop Jason Rivera’s funeral — a vile online rant she quickly deleted after it went viral.

“We do not need to shut down most of Lower Manhattan because one cop died for probably doing his job incorrectly. They kill people who are under 22 every single day for no good reason and we don’t shut down the city for them,” said Jacqueline Guzman on the clip, which appeared on TikTok under then handle @vinylboobs.

Thousands of NYPD officers attend the funeral for fallen Detective Jason Rivera on Jan. 28, 2022.

Thousands of NYPD officers attended the funeral for fallen Detective Jason Rivera Funeral for NYPD Detective Jason Rivera

Guzman spoke as she filmed herself Friday walking down an empty street, which had been barricaded off.

She went on to pan the camera to the closed street.

“Like this is f–king ridiculous. This is f–king ridiculous. What if somebody is having a heart attack in this area. Nobody can get to them because it’s all blocked off for one f–king cop,” she ranted.

A member profile of Guzman's on facetofacefilms.net

Condemnation of Guzman was swift.

“New Yorkers turned out by the thousands yesterday to help us honor our fallen brother. One person spreading hate cannot erase that. This kind of garbage has polluted the conversation for far too long. We need the New Yorkers who are standing with us to speak up and push back,” PBA President Patrick Lynch said.

One Brooklyn cop said the video was “totally disrespectful, not only to the NYPD but to all New York residents and to all humans. If this is the only way she can get publicity, I feel very sorry for her.”

The name of Guzman’s acting company, Face to Face Films, and other personal details about her were posted to social media.

“Face to Face Films has just been made aware of an insensitive video involving one of our members, Jacqueline Guzman. Face to Face Films does not support nor can condone these comments made about fallen Officer Rivera. As a result, she is no longer a member of our company,” the company posted on its Facebook page.

Anthony Laura, the founder of Face to Face, said Guzman was an actress with the film and theater company but declined to say more.

“Everything is in the statement,” he said.

Guzman’s bio on the Face to Face site, which was later removed, said she “is a Cuban American actress based in NYC, originally from Hialeah, Florida.”

Guzman had taken down her social media accounts by Saturday night. She did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Although she had deleted the video, it continued to circulate on social media because it had been copied and reposted by other users. 

How dumb do you have to be nowadays to post something like this to social media?  She probably feels she is a victim of cancel culture, but she brought it all on herself.  And she's not the only one:

Brooklyn teacher calls for ‘reciprocity’ against cops gathered to mourn slain detective

https://nypost.com/2022/01/30/brooklyn-teacher-christopher-flanigan-calls-for-reciprocity-against-cops-gathered-to-mourn-slain-nypd-detective-jason-rivera/

A public city school teacher posted an Instagram story Saturday that appeared to encourage violence against police mourning the murder of detective Jason Rivera, drawing outrage from members of New York’s Finest.

Christopher Flanigan, who teaches math at Coney Island Prep in Brooklyn according to his LinkedIn page, posted an overhead shot of thousands of officers lining Fifth Avenue for Rivera’s funeral Friday outside St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The post was captioned, “5/30/20: NYPD SUV drives into a crowd of protestors. Ideal conditions for reciprocity.”

The incident Flanigan referenced happened in the wake of the George Floyd police murder, when an NYPD vehicle drove through a group of Brooklyn protestors that were demonstrating against police following the Minnesota man’s death.

Then-Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said cops did not use the vehicle in a forceful manner. Former Mayor Bill de Blasio called footage of the incident “troubling” but also blamed protestors for not moving out of the way. No injuries were reported.

Flanigan — who was profiled by NY1 for his musical tributes to first responders in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic — was reached by The Post by phone Saturday night, but abruptly hung up before he could be asked about the content on his private Instagram account, which was shared with officers by a concerned follower, sources said.

Police officers who learned of the teacher’s IG story were upset that he apparently advocated another unprovoked attack on officers that were mourning a colleague that was ambushed during a domestic call.

“For a school teacher to condone an act of terrorism is reprehensible. I wouldn’t want him giving my own children instruction of any kind,” a Manhattan cop told The Post.

“You have a city worker wishing physical harm or worse to fellow city workers during a solemn service,“ a Brooklyn cop said. “It is the ultimate act of cowardice.”

When he gets fired do you think he'll be able to collect unemployment?

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

The Brooklyn teacher whose Instagram post appeared to encourage violence against police mourning slain officer Jason Rivera claims his message was “misconstrued” and that he was merely commenting on the “vulnerability” of the crowd of cops.  And he has a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn.

Chris Flanigan said he’s gotten death threats over his since-deleted Instagram story showing an overhead shot of officers flooding Fifth Avenue for Rivera’s funeral, with the caption, “5/30/20: NYPD SUV drives into a crowd of protestors. Ideal conditions for reciprocity.”

“I was really just trying to show the vulnerability of all of these police officers being in the same place at the same time which seems like a dangerous situation for anyone that would be that gathered together,” Flanigan told The Post Sunday.

“I respect the NYPD. I do not condone violence,” he continued. “A 22-year-old police officer murdered in the line of duty is reprehensible. I’m devastated by that. I’m devastated that his partner passed a week later. These are not things that sit well with me.”

Flanigan, who teaches at Coney Island Prep, said he put up the post Friday night but took it down the next morning after two friends, including one who is a cop, commented and “questioned what I meant by the post.”

“I hadn’t thought about it for the remainder of the day, thinking I did the right thing just getting ahead of it to take it down, because I didn’t want anybody else to misunderstand it or to misrepresent myself in a way that is how it is being perceived,” he said.

“I realized the way that it was framed looked as though I was trying to incite violence and that was not at all what I wanted to come of that post and that’s why I took it down immediately.”

The incident Flanigan referenced was when an NYPD vehicle drove through a group of Brooklyn protesters in wake of George Floyd’s death in 2020.

Flanigan insisted that he was simply comparing the crowd of demonstrators to the massive police turnout for Rivera’s funeral Friday in Manhattan.

“I was trying to show the vulnerabilities between all the police gathered that closely together,” Flanigan said. “Nobody should be in that ground the way that they were. I thought that it was too vulnerable and I was trying to draw a parallel between those two things.”

Asked about his use of the word “reciprocity,” the math teacher claimed it was not meant to be a call for violence against cops.

“Not in the sense for people to be driving or to be doing anything similar to what the police did,” he said. “But they put themselves in a similar position by being … all there all together and it’s similar to how the protesters were.

“That – I was trying to use that word to almost be the inverse mirror of that. The police were now the people that were gathered together and the protestors were people that were gathered together. Both in dangerous situations but by no means implying or inciting or promoting that anyone should be a danger to anyone else.”

Coney Island Prep, a public charter school, didn’t return multiple requests for comment.

Hey there... at least he has an actual human as his avatar rather than just the first initial of his user name, unlike many of us including you.  Nobody needs to justify why they choose a particular avatar or answer questions about underlying meanings.

But back to the original post - the story provides yet another example of society becoming increasingly entitled, and less able or willing to consider and accommodate those matters that do not augment their own self-importance, such as the funeral for a fallen officer.

Would she have gone on her rant for traffic caused by a BLM demonstration?

If not, she shouldn't have drawn question about street closures for "a cop" who according to her "probably did his job wrong..."  which of course is an absence of understanding of the facts.

She got the blow back because the general consensus (based on her words) is that the answer to the first question is "no" but she still ranted about the cop...soooo, she gave an indication of her hypocrisy IMHO.

Edited by BnaC

1 hour ago, BnaC said:

Would she have gone on her rant for traffic caused by a BLM demonstration?

If not, she shouldn't have drawn question about street closures for "a cop" who according to her "probably did his job wrong..."  which of course is an absence of understanding of the facts.

She got the blow back because the general consensus (based on her words) is that the answer to the first question is "no" but she still ranted about the cop...soooo, she gave an indication of her hypocrisy IMHO.

Lot's of people don't like cops, and might resent being inconvenienced by a cop's funeral.  And their hostility to cops doesn't have anything to do with race.  Your inference that her remark was racially motivated doesn't seem warranted.

8 minutes ago, Rudynate said:

Lot's of people don't like cops, and might resent being inconvenienced by a cop's funeral.  And their hostility to cops doesn't have anything to do with race.  Your inference that her remark was racially motivated doesn't seem warranted.

I didn’t infer a racial motivation in her comments.  In fact, I suggested that she may not have felt inconvenienced if the event had been racially motivated.    But if her comments were rooted in a dislike of cops, does that mean she crossed the line into spewing “hate speech?”

23 minutes ago, BnaC said:

I didn’t infer a racial motivation in her comments.  In fact, I suggested that she may not have felt inconvenienced if the event had been racially motivated.    But if her comments were rooted in a dislike of cops, does that mean she crossed the line into spewing “hate speech?”

Edited by Luv2play

7 hours ago, samhexum said:

Actress fired after ranting about street closures for NYPD Detective Jason Rivera’s funeral

https://nypost.com/2022/01/29/actress-fired-after-ranting-about-street-closures-for-jason-riveras-funeral/

A New York City actress was fired from her theater company for mouthing off about the inconvenience of street closures for slain cop Jason Rivera’s funeral — a vile online rant she quickly deleted after it went viral.

“We do not need to shut down most of Lower Manhattan because one cop died for probably doing his job incorrectly. They kill people who are under 22 every single day for no good reason and we don’t shut down the city for them,” said Jacqueline Guzman on the clip, which appeared on TikTok under then handle @vinylboobs.

Thousands of NYPD officers attend the funeral for fallen Detective Jason Rivera on Jan. 28, 2022.

Thousands of NYPD officers attended the funeral for fallen Detective Jason Rivera Funeral for NYPD Detective Jason Rivera

Guzman spoke as she filmed herself Friday walking down an empty street, which had been barricaded off.

She went on to pan the camera to the closed street.

“Like this is f–king ridiculous. This is f–king ridiculous. What if somebody is having a heart attack in this area. Nobody can get to them because it’s all blocked off for one f–king cop,” she ranted.

A member profile of Guzman's on facetofacefilms.net

Condemnation of Guzman was swift.

“New Yorkers turned out by the thousands yesterday to help us honor our fallen brother. One person spreading hate cannot erase that. This kind of garbage has polluted the conversation for far too long. We need the New Yorkers who are standing with us to speak up and push back,” PBA President Patrick Lynch said.

One Brooklyn cop said the video was “totally disrespectful, not only to the NYPD but to all New York residents and to all humans. If this is the only way she can get publicity, I feel very sorry for her.”

The name of Guzman’s acting company, Face to Face Films, and other personal details about her were posted to social media.

“Face to Face Films has just been made aware of an insensitive video involving one of our members, Jacqueline Guzman. Face to Face Films does not support nor can condone these comments made about fallen Officer Rivera. As a result, she is no longer a member of our company,” the company posted on its Facebook page.

Anthony Laura, the founder of Face to Face, said Guzman was an actress with the film and theater company but declined to say more.

“Everything is in the statement,” he said.

Guzman’s bio on the Face to Face site, which was later removed, said she “is a Cuban American actress based in NYC, originally from Hialeah, Florida.”

Guzman had taken down her social media accounts by Saturday night. She did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Although she had deleted the video, it continued to circulate on social media because it had been copied and reposted by other users. 

How dumb do you have to be nowadays to post something like this to social media?  She probably feels she is a victim of cancel culture, but she brought it all on herself.  And she's not the only one:

Brooklyn teacher calls for ‘reciprocity’ against cops gathered to mourn slain detective

https://nypost.com/2022/01/30/brooklyn-teacher-christopher-flanigan-calls-for-reciprocity-against-cops-gathered-to-mourn-slain-nypd-detective-jason-rivera/

A public city school teacher posted an Instagram story Saturday that appeared to encourage violence against police mourning the murder of detective Jason Rivera, drawing outrage from members of New York’s Finest.

Christopher Flanigan, who teaches math at Coney Island Prep in Brooklyn according to his LinkedIn page, posted an overhead shot of thousands of officers lining Fifth Avenue for Rivera’s funeral Friday outside St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The post was captioned, “5/30/20: NYPD SUV drives into a crowd of protestors. Ideal conditions for reciprocity.”

The incident Flanigan referenced happened in the wake of the George Floyd police murder, when an NYPD vehicle drove through a group of Brooklyn protestors that were demonstrating against police following the Minnesota man’s death.

Then-Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said cops did not use the vehicle in a forceful manner. Former Mayor Bill de Blasio called footage of the incident “troubling” but also blamed protestors for not moving out of the way. No injuries were reported.

Flanigan — who was profiled by NY1 for his musical tributes to first responders in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic — was reached by The Post by phone Saturday night, but abruptly hung up before he could be asked about the content on his private Instagram account, which was shared with officers by a concerned follower, sources said.

Police officers who learned of the teacher’s IG story were upset that he apparently advocated another unprovoked attack on officers that were mourning a colleague that was ambushed during a domestic call.

“For a school teacher to condone an act of terrorism is reprehensible. I wouldn’t want him giving my own children instruction of any kind,” a Manhattan cop told The Post.

“You have a city worker wishing physical harm or worse to fellow city workers during a solemn service,“ a Brooklyn cop said. “It is the ultimate act of cowardice.”

When he gets fired do you think he'll be able to collect unemployment?

A other New York Post article. This story takes Secord place to these stories today: Hunter Biden's laptop (yet again) and Zsa Zsa's widower.

Her husband is looking for someone to adopt (again).

It must be a slow news day.Ms. Gabor has sadly been dead for a few years

On 1/30/2022 at 5:56 PM, BnaC said:

In fairness, I dont think most non-New Yorkers understand what these street closures mean and how it impacts city residents and workers. The day before the funeral a 15 block section (from 42nd to 56th) is closed for traffic, usually from 11am until 8pm for the wake. The day of the funeral a 20+ block section (from 34th to 56th) is closed for traffic from 6am to 2pm - and make no mistake; when I say traffic it also impacts pedestrians.  That includes public transit, emergency vehicles, sanitation etc.  It is no small thing. 

The Brooklyn public school teacher who posted an anti-cop Instagram post about the funeral of detective Jason Rivera is no longer an employee of the school.

Coney Island Prep said on Sunday that Chris Flanigan, who appeared to encourage violence against cops mourning Rivera, no longer works for the school.

Flanigan told The Post on Sunday that he’d received death threats over his since-deleted Instagram Story showing an overhead shot of officers flooding Fifth Avenue for Rivera’s funeral, with the caption, “5/30/20: NYPD SUV drives into a crowd of protestors. Ideal conditions for reciprocity.”

He claimed his message was “misconstrued” and that he was merely commenting on the “vulnerability” of the crowd of cops.

“I respect the NYPD. I do not condone violence,” he insisted on Sunday. “A 22-year-old police officer murdered in the line of duty is reprehensible. I’m devastated by that.”

Chris Flanigan

LI woman with same name as actress fired for NYPD funeral rant makes tearful plea.

https://nypost.com/2022/02/01/woman-with-namesake-of-actress-fired-for-nypd-rant-makes-plea/

A Long Island woman with the same name as the actress who sparked outrage for mouthing off about the inconvenience of slain cop Jason Rivera’s funeral says she has been harassed and threatened by people confusing her with the woman who made the vile rant.

“My name is Jacqueline Michelle Guzman. I am a 25-year-old gymnastics coach and a business owner,” the home-based chocolate vendor says in a TikTok video posted on her business Sister Sweets’ Facebook and Instagram accounts.

“This video is to clarify that I am not the Jacqueline Guzman in that video — that awful video. I have been receiving multiple calls and messages and many threats,” the resident of Huntington in Suffolk County says tearfully.

“Please stop targeting me and attacking me. I personally cannot handle it,” Guzman adds.

The Long Island woman’s sister Cristal Guzman also posted a video on TikTok about the deluge of misdirected hate messages and threats.

Cristal thanked her family, friends, customers and fellow business owners who “had our backs,” adding: “That amount of support truly got us through the day.”

The sisters also posted a message on Instagram to set the record straight.

“Please note that we have been mistakenly & maliciously tagged in a hateful post,” reads the post. “To be clear that is not either of us, nor are we affiliated with that post. We support all law enforcement in our community. We do not align with her messaging, we find it despicable.

“Please do not continue to associate us with this person. We have gotten word that the girl in the video has the same first and last name as our Sister Sweets Jacqueline. We do NOT know this girl and it is NOT the same Jacqueline,” it says.

“Respectfully we have turned off the commenting and have made our page private to avoid further confusion temporarily,” the post adds.

The sisters also expressed their gratitude in a message posted Sunday on Instagram.

“There was SO MANY of you who really showed up for us in a time where we felt like everything we worked SO HARD for was over,” they wrote. “We are tired and it’s not over yet but we WILL get through this and we are forever grateful for our amazing Sweets Family!”

9 hours ago, FrankR said:

In fairness, I dont think most non-New Yorkers understand what these street closures mean and how it impacts city residents and workers. The day before the funeral a 15 block section (from 42nd to 56th) is closed for traffic, usually from 11am until 8pm for the wake. The day of the funeral a 20+ block section (from 34th to 56th) is closed for traffic from 6am to 2pm - and make no mistake; when I say traffic it also impacts pedestrians.  That includes public transit, emergency vehicles, sanitation etc.  It is no small thing. 

I understand.  Cross town always sucks. Especially when a dignitary visits or the UN is in session.  But this wax important to thousands of New Yorkers 

On 1/30/2022 at 5:46 PM, Rudynate said:

Clearly no-name actress was pissed off because she was late to her moustache removal appointment and body hair on parts unmentionable...

13 hours ago, FrankR said:

As a New Yorker, I agree. 

But also as a New Yorker, I am appalled at the lack of respect, dignity, intelligence,
and tolerance that these two people showed in their online posts. Being a true
New Yorker requires all those things and much, much, more. 

I’m not into "cancel culture" but I am into helping idiots pack their bags to leave NYC. 

Edited by nycman

NYers can't seem to stop trying to show off their flexibility...

Assemblywoman slammed for anti-cop tweet, liking post comparing NYPD to Nazis

https://nypost.com/2022/02/02/ny-assemblywoman-yuh-line-niou-slammed-for-anti-police-tweet/

A progressive New York lawmaker has been blasted for describing uniformed NYPD cops taking the subway as a “frightening show of intimidation” and “a massive health risk” — then liking a tweet comparing the group of officers to Nazis.

Democratic Assemblywoman Yuh-Line Niou, who represents parts of Lower Manhattan, made the eyebrow-raising comment Monday in response to a video showing mostly maskless officers in a Midtown Manhattan subway station following the Friday funeral for slain NYPD Officer Jason Rivera.

“It honestly takes a lot to take a heartbreaking tragedy and a family’s moment of mourning and turn it into a frightening show of intimidation for the whole city and be a massive health risk to every New Yorker,” Niou wrote.

“But they somehow did it.”

The lawmaker then liked a response from a Twitter user with the handle @ATStampede, who referred to Rivera’s funeral as “their fascism rally on the streets above,” the Daily News reported.

The tweeted reply contained photos of a Nazi march next to one showing cops gathered along Fifth Avenue for Rivera’s funeral.

Niou removed her like from the tweet after the paper reached out to her for comment about it.

Masks have been required on MTA subways since April 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic, and all NYPD cops, regardless of their vaccination status, are required to wear face coverings while on duty, according to a department-wide email sent in late December.

The head of the city’s largest police union blasted the left-wing lawmaker for liking the tweet comparing cops to Nazis.

“This is why our streets have gotten out of control. Our legislators are busy boosting anti-cop hate online when they should be fixing the laws that they broke,” Police Benevolent Association president Patrick Lynch told The Post on Wednesday.

“We’re glad that New Yorkers sent a resounding message last week and again this week,” he added. “We’re not going to let self-serving politicians divide us again.”

Fumed one Staten Island cop, “These people should learn a little about history.”

“Fascists would not allow people to speak out against them; they would be silenced,” the officer added. “This officer and his family deserve respect. These officers also allow these people to walk the streets and make comments like this no matter how ignorant they may be.”

A rep for Niou — who has represented the Lower East Side, the Financial District, Chinatown and Battery Park City since 2017 — did not immediately respond to a request for comment.