FYI: Free COVID-19 test via USPS provided by US Gov

easygoingpal

12 hours ago, RadioRob said:

Also as an aside, my tests were technically ordered just prior to the public release. The website officially launched on a Tuesday and I was part of the “early/soft” launch on the day before. So if you ordered later, it’s still most likely processing. Remember you’re moving at the speed of government!

12 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

like RadioRob, I ordered on the day before official launch....pain-free process......and they came in the mail about a week ago here in Arizona

I ordered mine the day before the official opening, too, but haven't received yet. Did you receive an email when the order was shipped?

I just read a USA Today article that says the tests that arrive in the mail may be affected by cold temperatures, so if yours are sitting in your snow-covered mailbox in Iowa or your icy conditions in Dallas, they may give you a false negative (false positive less likely).

I ordered mine on the first day the online registry was officially open and just received them last week.  I live in Denver.  I received an email from USPS with an estimated delivery date, then another email with actual tracking information and updated ETA.  They actually arrived one day earlier than expected.  The package gives a range for safe storage of 59 and 86 degrees F (15 to 30 C).  

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I just read a USA Today article that says the tests that arrive in the mail may be affected by cold temperatures, so if yours are sitting in your snow-covered mailbox in Iowa or your icy conditions in Dallas, they may give you a false negative (false positive less likely).

Since Omicron develops in the throat first and not the nose like Delta and covid A, these tests aren't much good for any early detection and especially if they got cold. 

If you're really sick they are good for confirming what you are really sick from is covid. These tests would have been wonderful if we had them to all Americans when CovidA and Delta (which they immediately detect) were prevalent. Europeans had many sent to them constantly last year during Delta while we had zip.  

I'm waiting for the cure pill Paxlovid from Pfizer to be more widely available. That's the game changer.

1 hour ago, RadioRob said:

At least in the DC metro area, it had been very difficult to find at home tests.  Even many tests on Amazon had orders delayed when they were supposedly in stock. (I just canceled an order that never shipped more than a week after it was supposed to.)

Not sure about VA but here in DC we can pickup as many PCR tests as we want or 4 RT tests each day at any library. (must have DC ID).Over the last month I've stocked a "few" in case of another variant surge and take a PCR every week. I'd hate to get covid from house "guests" or pass it to someone unknowingly. But these tests really aren't good at catching Omicron I read. 

I haven't gotten mine yet either that I ordered 1st week and am just hoping to get the ones you can pay $20 monitoring for to get back in the US. 

It took them 3 weeks, but I might get my 3 tests on Monday, if I can believe the USPS...

Hello COVID Test Recipient,

USPS expects to deliver your package by Monday, February 14, 2022 arriving by 9:00pm.

19 hours ago, MikeBiDude said:

Maybe a dumb question? Why are the gentlemen here so interested in free tests from the government? I have a dozen tests in a drawer at home from GetRoman and Amazon.

Is the reason to test the system? Can’t be to save $$?

Such hoarding might be the reason it is so hard to find the test kits in pharmacies.

7 hours ago, Unicorn said:

It took them 3 weeks, but I might get my 3 tests on Monday, if I can believe the USPS...

Hello COVID Test Recipient,

USPS expects to deliver your package by Monday, February 14, 2022 arriving by 9:00pm.

I ordered 4 tests and received two box containing 2 tests each. It would be fun to see how they deliver 3 tests to you. One and a half?

On 2/11/2022 at 9:19 AM, MikeBiDude said:

Maybe a dumb question? Why are the gentlemen here so interested in free tests from the government? I have a dozen tests in a drawer at home from GetRoman and Amazon.

Is the reason to test the system? Can’t be to save $$?

Yes, it's to save $$ (and time). We're going to Guatemala in March. Going to one of those places to get an official test result costs $90 per person, not counting the time wasted. No point in doing that if we know we're going to test positive. I also tested myself before Christmas before visiting one relative who's immune-suppressed and another who's in her 90s. We now know, however, that the current strain isn't even dangerous to those people, so the only reason to test now is having to deal with outdated travel restriction laws. 

What I'm curious about is why you have a dozen tests in a drawer, unless you're a really frequent traveler.

Edited by Unicorn

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Yes, it's to save $$ (and time). We're going to Guatemala in March. Going to one of those places to get an official test result costs $90 per person, not counting the time wasted. No point in doing that if we know we're going to test positive. I also tested myself before Christmas before visiting one relative who's immune-suppressed and another who's in her 90s. We now know, however, that the current strain isn't even dangerous to those people, so the only reason to test now is having to deal with outdated travel restriction laws. 

What I'm curious about is why you have a dozen tests in a drawer, unless you're a really frequent traveler.

Many people in this forum qualify as  "really frequent travelers." 

Especially the monitors.

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Many people in this forum qualify as  "really frequent travelers." 

Especially the monitors.

But a dozen test kits? I didn't know monitors could travel, or contract the virus...

Living with Lizards | Reptiles pet, Savannah monitor, Lizard

4 hours ago, Unicorn said:

11 hours ago, Lucky said:

Such hoarding might be the reason it is so hard to find the test kits in pharmacies.

Family, 90+ yo parents myself and siblings care for. I consult and operate in the restaurant business. We all test frequently.

I'm perplexed by the commentary that's been going on about 'hoarding'. The situations where taking a test might be appropriate have changed as infection levels and perceived risk of doing things when infected have been changing over recent weeks. Different people face those situations with different frequencies. So, is there any 'appropriate' number to have in the cupboard? When needing to self administer a RAT (as opposed to having one administered in a clinical setting) became a thing here it was impossible to find them in shops, so people would buy several if they had the chance and the money.

If you buy 10x20 roll packs of toilet paper, that qualifies as hoarding, but is it hoarding if you buy enough groceries to last a week rather than a day? What about if you shop once a month? I wouldn't apply an absolute test that says having 12 tests on hand is too many, but it probably would be if you had established a pattern of needing one test every two weeks and you bought 12 more now.

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

Family, 90+ yo parents myself and siblings care for. I consult and operate in the restaurant business. We all test frequently.

The CDC has data on hospitalization rates from October to December by vaccination status now:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#covidnet-hospitalizations-vaccination

10-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates65

Even when the more dangerous/virulent Delta variant was more prevalent, it was extraordinarily rare for vaccinated and boosted elderly to need hospitalization due to Covid-19. Even rarer now that only the omicron variant is prevalent (of course, unvaxxed 100's of times more likely). That should help allay your fears better than a day-old negative Covid test. (Death rates are even lower, obviously). It's simply a statistical fact, not an opinion, that as of this time serious illness is not a serious concern for those fully vaccinated and boosted. 

45 minutes ago, mike carey said:

I'm perplexed by the commentary that's been going on about 'hoarding'. The situations where taking a test might be appropriate have changed as infection levels and perceived risk of doing things when infected have been changing over recent weeks. Different people face those situations with different frequencies. So, is there any 'appropriate' number to have in the cupboard? When needing to self administer a RAT (as opposed to having one administered in a clinical setting) became a thing here it was impossible to find them in shops, so people would buy several if they had the chance and the money.

If you buy 10x20 roll packs of toilet paper, that qualifies as hoarding, but is it hoarding if you buy enough groceries to last a week rather than a day? What about if you shop once a month? I wouldn't apply an absolute test that says having 12 tests on hand is too many, but it probably would be if you had established a pattern of needing one test every two weeks and you bought 12 more now.

Obviously, most people shop for a week, not a day. Anyone who shops only once a month is going to have health issues, as living off of canned rather than fresh food isn't healthful. Unless testing every single day, I would consider 12 tests, especially in the face of a shortage, to be hoarding. Even if you test 3 times a week, 12 tests will last a month, which isn't kind when many people can't find tests. As pointed out in the statistics in my prior post, however, testing is only a concern if one plans to have prolonged contact with unvaccinated people (or if required for entry to some countries). And in that case, it makes more sense, if one has a concern, to get vaccinated rather than to rely on testing.