FYI: Free COVID-19 test via USPS provided by US Gov

easygoingpal

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

The CDC has data on hospitalization rates from October to December by vaccination status now:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#covidnet-hospitalizations-vaccination

10-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates65

Even when the more dangerous/virulent Delta variant was more prevalent, it was extraordinarily rare for vaccinated and boosted elderly to need hospitalization due to Covid-19. Even rarer now that only the omicron variant is prevalent (of course, unvaxxed 100's of times more likely). That should help allay your fears better than a day-old negative Covid test. (Death rates are even lower, obviously). It's simply a statistical fact, not an opinion, that as of this time serious illness is not a serious concern for those fully vaccinated and boosted. 

Folks in their 90s?  

1 hour ago, Unicorn said:

The CDC has data on hospitalization rates from October to December by vaccination status now:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#covidnet-hospitalizations-vaccination

10-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates65

Even when the more dangerous/virulent Delta variant was more prevalent, it was extraordinarily rare for vaccinated and boosted elderly to need hospitalization due to Covid-19. Even rarer now that only the omicron variant is prevalent (of course, unvaxxed 100's of times more likely). That should help allay your fears better than a day-old negative Covid test. (Death rates are even lower, obviously). It's simply a statistical fact, not an opinion, that as of this time serious illness is not a serious concern for those fully vaccinated and boosted. 

Folks in their 90s?   My mother lived into her 90s as well. This isn't a theoretical  situation.

Edited by WilliamM

4 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Folks in their 90s?  

The data are the same in every age group. The omicron variant is far less serious to those fully vaccinated than even the common cold (let alone the flu). It makes more sense to worry about spreading colds (or the flu) to a nonagenarian than to worry about Omicron. Hospitalizations are extremely rare, and attributable deaths essentially non-existent. The age difference shows up only in the unvaccinated:

10-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates65.jpg

11-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates50-65.jpg

The numbers are 3X higher for the different age groups only in the unvaccinated.

Edited by Unicorn

After signing up in the first day of the soft launch, I've been notified that my free tests are arriving Thurs Feb 17th.

Eh, coordinated national effort that shouldn't have been necessary if more were vaccinated. 

Nonetheless, here we are. After 2 years, omicron's transmissionablity forced the "Let 'er rip" method of pandemic non-containment.  Least, the willing and some relucant vaccinated before all that.  

Now looking forward to hopefully return to life pre covid. 

5 hours ago, Unicorn said:

The data are the same in every age group. The omicron variant is far less serious to those fully vaccinated than even the common cold (let alone the flu). It makes more sense to worry about spreading colds (or the flu) to a nonagenarian than to worry about Omicron. Hospitalizations are extremely rare, and attributable deaths essentially non-existent. The age difference shows up only in the unvaccinated:

10-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates65.jpg

11-12-Covid-Hosp-Rates50-65.jpg

The numbers are 3X higher for the different age groups only in the unvaccinated.

What does those statics have to do with covid19 testing?

5 hours ago, WilliamM said:

What does those statics have to do with covid19 testing?

Just scroll back. The point is that testing is only useful if you're going to be meeting up with someone who's unvaccinated (or you're traveling to a country which requires it prior to entry). 

11 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Just scroll back. The point is that testing is only useful if you're going to be meeting up with someone who's unvaccinated (or you're traveling to a country which requires it prior to entry). 

I did "scroll back.  If my close friend who suffered from Parkinson's was still alive, I would get tested for Covid19 EVERY time I visited him in his  nursing home.

That is me.

17 hours ago, Unicorn said:

Obviously, most people shop for a week, not a day. Anyone who shops only once a month is going to have health issues, as living off of canned rather than fresh food isn't healthful

Tell that to people who live in Montana when snow falls  during the Fall and Winter and people have to rely on caned food. My brother lives in a small town met Yellowstone National Park.  His town has a bar and a jail. The nearest decent storeis far away (Gardiner,  Montana).

I drove to Gardiner during an October snow storm. That entrance to that park was closed a few minutes after

One can add northern Maine in Winter

9 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Tell that to people who live in Montana when snow falls  during the Fall and Winter ...

"Fresh fruit and vegetables are good for you!" (I'm sure even Canadians have access to fresh produce during their long winters...)

'Cold Front: 7 Frigid Films to Binge as the Temperature Drops - mxdwn Movies

Edited by Unicorn

16 hours ago, Unicorn said:

"Fresh fruit and vegetables are good for you!" (I'm sure even Canadians have access to fresh produce during their long winters...)

'Cold Front: 7 Frigid Films to Binge as the Temperature Drops - mxdwn Movies

That's not a valid response. Not everyone lives in California and Florida 

Yikes!

Edited by WilliamM

I have an 87-yr old neighbor and when she comes over I do an RT for her first (on myself). Then I online register a PCR on her and drop it off with mine. Also have my houseguests and/or sex partners do RT's every couple weeks and leave my 3 tenants RT's monthly as a courtesy. When traveling out of US I RT first to prevent surprises. I think the fear of infecting others drove the scarcity at Christmas. 

Edited by tassojunior

On 2/14/2022 at 10:01 AM, tassojunior said:

I have an 87-yr old neighbor and when she comes over I do an RT for her first (on myself). Then I online register a PCR on her and drop it off with mine. Also have my houseguests and/or sex partners do RT's every couple weeks and leave my 3 tenants RT's monthly as a courtesy. When traveling out of US I RT first to prevent surprises. I think the fear of infecting others drove the scarcity at Christmas. 

Other than the travel testing, I don't understand the logic of your actions. Is your neighbor unvaccinated? Unless that's the case, the risk from the omega strain (99.9+% of the strains in the US) is negligible, as the statistics from the CDC a few posts higher show. All current precautions are entirely to protect the unvaccinated. The PCR tests and biweekly tests make even less sense, since one is most contagious the first 3 days of contagiousness. The 2 free tests given to all households in the US is just theater to show that the government is "doing something" (even if that something is useless).

On 2/14/2022 at 12:42 AM, WilliamM said:

That's not a valid response. Not everyone lives in California and Florida 

Yikes!

I know people who live in frigid places like Canada and Maine. They have access to fresh produce in the winter. 

21 hours ago, BabyBoomer said:

I signed up on the first day January 18. Just received an email from USPS with expected delivery date of Saturday, February 19.

~Boomer~

As I was walking out of my house this morning  I was handed my free Covid-19 tests by USPS. Two days earlier than expected. Btw, the expiration date on the tests is 12/29/22.

~Boomer~

8 hours ago, BabyBoomer said:

As I was walking out of my house this morning  I was handed my free Covid-19 tests by USPS. Two days earlier than expected. Btw, the expiration date on the tests is 12/29/22.

~Boomer~

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

Mine expire in July!

I read somewhere (MedPage?) that the expiration on RT tests was originally 6 months but recently they acknowledged that they're good for 12 months so the July date ones are probably good an additional 6 months. Why the newer ones have 12 months from manufacture stamped on the box. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...